GTR Forum banner

Auto watch ghost not so good

77K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  TREG 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apparently, they can be bypassed in a few ways
Shocking was about to get it just thought I’d share my homework

#4 · (Edited)
Ok here we go, I have to be very careful about how I word this so it doesn't jeopardise the security/protection aspects of the ghost system. None of the methods mentioned will work especially on the gtr. Firstly If you crash the can system on any vehicle the car ain't going to start because it won't recognise the key immobiliser system so that's ruled out, secondly most cars have more than one can system and if you know what you are doing you will choose the one which will not allow the outer mirrors to be part of that system, thirdly the ghost system doesn't have a fuse to pull out. I hate discussing this type of detail on a public forum because all that this is going to do is feed the thieves out there information on how to find alternative methods. If the ghost system is fitted to the high standard like its meant to be like we do then it's the best security solution full stop. I'm not going to add any further information because I feel it's stupid and unprofessional to disclose its security. If anyone has any concerns they are welcome to contact me 07973733441 or call Autowatch directly. Oh and I forgot to mention its not Thatcham product but it has never been sold or stated to be. Thatcham are very old school in there approach and have certain criteria eg lengths of immobiliser cuts which the ghost system doesn't work on cut principle won't meet there criteria.

#5 ·
Also to add there a few vehicle security installers who have either been refused dealership of the product or dealership withdrawn due to bad installation that are now trying to slag off the product... Its all bollux, there was a issue with the software last year for the Ford focus which has now been resolved, the ghost system has been installed to thousands of vehicles and I'm sure if it was floored other vehicles would have been stolen with it fitted, it'll be nice to here the positive stories of it preventing vehicle theft.

#6 ·
Still my next security mod, again a combination of mods cover all areas, I still say have a valet mode set where like mine it wont run boost and has rev limit etc so its very sluggish and further it goes slower it gets till its on tickover, then stop and it will let you move maybe 30 meters before going back on tickover, takes a second to put in and take out.

#11 · (Edited)
Valid points and also correct if they want to take it they will take it

It***8217;s still a good system in my eyes just a bit jubious about it now but all seems to make sense
Nothing in the world is impossible to crack if given long enough to do it, but honestly buddy the ghost system is real work of art and once installed correctly its literally impossible to bypass it without stripping the car down to the bone to remove it. I take it your friend isn't an approved dealer for it, probably that's why he's knocking it.

#14 ·
I ve had a ghost fitted to 4 of my cars in the last 2 odd years.
A focus RS included, and I have arranged quite a few of other installs for people.......

It is a great product, and as has been said if installed correctly will tip the odds in your favour against the thieves. It should be used as a PART of a layering solution alongside other products and practises.

#15 ·
As long as the vehicle has some type alarm system fitted well then the perfect solution to cover literally every other method of theft is to have the ghost system and a decent tracking system, this covers all angles of it been driven away, dragged away or lifted onto a truck. Have you had the new software on your Focus Rs, if not contact your installer to rectify the issue they had with the focus last year. It'll be free of charge.

#18 ·
Ok some further updates, I together with two of Autowatchs guys, tech and programmer carried out some experiments on my Gtr and I'm even more pleased to say that no matter what method of hack we tried it didn't Override it at all, we even crashed the can and it made no difference. The product does exactly what it says on the tin. Hope this helps and puts your minds at rest guys. :thumbsup:

#39 ·
I think having a combination of security items is the best. My mates laugh at me (and I do feel a bit self conscious) but I still use a Disklok on my car every time I park up, including petrol stations etc. Its old school but effective. Likewise multiple trackers. The Ghost is another tool to help deter/slow things down for your average car thief. But nothing is 100% safe against a hardened and good/lucky car thief. And there are pros and cons to each security/anti-theft items we all use. I know people who have had cars lifted (literally) from supposedly secure parking areas, a neighbour whose car was rolled away on dolly wheels (took less than 90secs per his CCTV) and a friend who had a visit i.e. break in at home from a gang of car thiefs who "invited" him and his wife to provide the car entry codes (not Ghost but similar principle). Bottom line for me is to mix it up and do what you can security wise. But at the end of the day there is always going to be the risk you get unlucky.

#48 ·
Hi it looks like I missed this thread it's gone abit wild 😅 firstly I would like to say that any security device fitted is only a way to stop or slow someone down from stealing a car it does not make the car invincible!

I read a couple of comments in regards to the Pandora, personally we have and always have stuck to simplicity. The more gimics you have the more it costs and there's more to go wrong! Plus you end up with subscriptions ect with the ghost it's very simple, cost effective and works as it should with no subscriptions.

In regards to finding it or bypassing it, it's not that easy, if the install is poor it will be easy to find, if the install is good you will be looking for it for hours. The Pandora has sensors, siren and led which make it easier to find if you trace them back unlike the ghost which has nothing attached! We fit to a high standard as we are passionate about what we do it's not about the money!

In regards to insurance approval the ghost is tassa approved and not Thatcham approved the reason being is Thatcham is an outdated authority which will slowly be replaced with tassa as time goes by. Thatcham authority required physical immobilisation cuts and the ghost being canbus does its cut electronically not manually. It is recognised by 450 different company's around Europe I believe and some insurance company's will require you to have one before full cover.

Lastly my father left behind a gem........ Me! So if you have any questions or anything please do not hesitate to ask. No question is silly and I'm more then happy to answer!

Kind Regards
Farooq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.