GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in this week's issue dated 9th December.

Won't spoil it for those who are going to enjoy reading it, but it is close. Very close.

When I was up at Evo Towers last week, they had the exact same threesome there too, so it will be interesting to see if they agree.

Once everyone has had a chance to read the article it would be interesting to discuss it further.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vid only tells part of the story. They drove it for 2 days on the road and in the wet too. It's their findings on the GT-R's wet weather handling I found interesting...

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Handled fine and dandy in horrendous biblical weather, both on the Anglesey track and the beautiful North Wales roads.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Looks like it's running the Dunlops on page 41, I'm on the Bridgestones now and find that both tyres aren't great when going for it in the wet. Shame we cant get hold of all season tyres for the winter months.

Did anyone notice the comment in the smaller article on page 44 . . "Neither the GT-R or the R8 has a launch control system" . . . I wonder how much of a difference it would have made to their 4sec/9sec runs to 60/100mph? Has this been removed entirely from new cars now then?

Good article though and I'm proud to see the R35 up there being pitched amongst the best. I must admit I am really glad I have the Milltek pipe fitted which earns the car another point now. However, the R8 V10 sounds in another league entirely. With all the stage1/2 GTR's around now I think there will be some pretty shocked 991T and R8 V10 owners out there when they see how quick an R35 really is in the real world.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Don’t need to read it (but will) as I have said on many occasions the only real test is YOU in YOUR car against like minded "chaps" with a real day to day array of cars and 2,500 miles across Europe with some of the most trickiest and dangerous roads in the world The Alpine Passes.

We had 63 cars including 3 Audio R8's one a V10, more bloody Porches that you could shake a stick at including the 2 x 997 Turbo, 2 Ultima GTR’s, Aston Martins from every decade, and Lotus’s (Elise, Exige, one a race prepped one) a Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari Scuderia and a whole host of other exotica and one GTR, mine!! The car never missed a beat from 165mph on the French toll roads to the tight 180 degree hairpins turns of the St Bernardino, Julier and Stelvio passes. Through Italy on the way to Mondena it p*ssed down so hard that we were restricted to 50mph on the motorways. The only vehicle there that gave me a decent run (uphill) for my money was the race prepped Lotus Exige, driven by an ex racing driver !

The GTR is awesome !! & Value for money, says it all

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don’t need to read it (but will) as I have said on many occasions the only real test is YOU in YOUR car against like minded "chaps" with a real day to day array of cars and 2,500 miles across Europe with some of the most trickiest and dangerous roads in the world The Alpine Passes.
Hey Steve, how often do you do the Europe trips? Guess it's more of a Summer thing eh? Would defo be interested in doing something like this next year!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Bren

Well this trip was in September this year, I did Spa and the Ring in May so funds permitting (and work) I would do many more, I have, on more than one occasion, suggested that the GTROC try and organise a trip like the Alpine Passes and not just the Ring and Spa.

Also, my next target is the roads in Romania visited by Top Gear in the first of the new series this year !

Anyone interested ???

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Could do both !!! Hey, its a life changing experience with your true love !!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm up for a Europe trip next year, I was actually straight on the net after I saw the Romania vids to hunt them down (and brush up on my Geography!) It's a bl**dy long way there but that just means more fun planning the route there and back! Racked up 15k miles in the past 6 months so going to cool it for a while on the miles ready for some longer Europe trips when it brighten up in the Spring/Summer.

Looking to get tickets for the Spa GP (Dad's 60th present) but it would be much better having driven it before hand!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah and I'm surprised they didn't at least try the new, weaker launch control. It doesn't make a lot of difference in my experience, but 4.0s is the slowest 0-60mph time I've ever seen for a GT-R, admittedly on a slightly uphill, bumpy and none too grippy piece of tarmac; but then again it was the same for all three cars...

7.1s to 100mph for the Porsche is really going some. I've not managed to beat that in my Stage 2 car...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The 911 Turbo PDK has been tested in the high 6s for 0-100mph by some mags.

It has more power than a GTR, a 7 speed box and is 150kg lighter. The Porsche LC also uses more revs (my 997 GT2 had LC and it revved to 4500rpm and held it before you dropped the clutch).

For all these reasons it is much faster in a straight-line. It's still slower around a track though :)

·
Banned
78 Posts
GTR ultimate track car.

the GTR still set the fastest time :chuckle:magical. Half the price and better performance> surely worth every penny IMO. those of you who have it, lucky lucky guys! need to earn more money this is it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts