GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the forum members use the Autowatch Ghost product ? Takamo kindly talked me through the features and it sounds like an effective anti theft product even if its not Thatcham Approved.

I appreciate if they break in for the keys they may come back for the PIN but they won't find out the system is fitted until they try and start the car.

I've seen some positive comments on the Golf R forum - another car that seems to be popular with the thieves these days.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Anytime Ian, the Ghost system is the best antitheft system full stop, it's completely undetectable, it can't be blocked, scanned or jammed. It blocks the can system so cloning of keys will be eliminated. The only way your car could get stolen is physically picked up and taken away. Even if a thief came with a full Ecu set its still not starting. Best peace of mind mind money can buy.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I've had an Autowatch 68hi on my R35 since new in 2009.

Works flawlessly and never faulted.

Simple hidden button to deactivate and gives peace of mind that even with keys my car will coast to a halt after 60 seconds of being started.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have this also on my car and its brilliant.
Been caught out a few times though by forgetting to press the hidden deactivate button!

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I have this also on my car and its brilliant.
Been caught out a few times though by forgetting to press the hidden deactivate button!
Get your automobile sparky to add an audible warning inside the car as its easy to miss the indicators flashing if you forget to deactivate.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do any of the forum members use the Autowatch Ghost product ? Takamo kindly talked me through the features and it sounds like an effective anti theft product even if its not Thatcham Approved.

I appreciate if they break in for the keys they may come back for the PIN but they won't find out the system is fitted until they try and start the car.

I've seen some positive comments on the Golf R forum - another car that seems to be popular with the thieves these days.
Funny you mention that. My Golf R was stolen after thieves broke into my house while on holiday. Looking to buy a GTR as a replacement and the one thing I've been very nervous around is another theft. This Ghost system looks like just the ticket!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

Simple hidden button to deactivate and gives peace of mind that even with keys my car will coast to a halt after 60 seconds of being started.
I have one fitted too. Only issue was the guys I used to fit it, sub contracted it out and then fell out with the guy who fitted it. They don't know what he did and can't figure it out but it's never worked. :(

Thankfully it's never been needed

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have one fitted too. Only issue was the guys I used to fit it, sub contracted it out and then fell out with the guy who fitted it. They don't know what he did and can't figure it out but it's never worked. :(

Thankfully it's never been needed
Thats bit of a waste of 300 quid. Cant you get autowatch to provide some manufacturer's support?

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts

We use to install them but what we found is that all it takes is one person to clock that you are touching a particular place and its game over, also if you give your car in for a service or some other work they will know where it is. The Ghost is literally bullet proof, the four digit pin code can be changed fairly easily by the owner and it also has valet mode so you can deactivate the system when giving it to a third party, the system will remain deactivated up to 37mph at 3min continuous driving. There are no modules/boxes to find and bypass like on a alarm system or conventional immobiliser. It's a very clever and very small unit(size of a USB stick) so it can be installed literally anywhere in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
If the 68hi is fitted per the manufacturers instructions then there should be a key operated switch fitted under the bonnet which allows the driver to turn it off for servicing etc.

With regards someone seeing where the button is i would dispute that. Mine is placed in such a place that nobody would see me touching it unless I told them what I was doing.

It's a very simple device that adds an extra layer of security.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
If the 68hi is fitted per the manufacturers instructions then there should be a key operated switch fitted under the bonnet which allows the driver to turn it off for servicing etc.

With regards someone seeing where the button is i would dispute that. Mine is placed in such a place that nobody would see me touching it unless I told them what I was doing.

It's a very simple device that adds an extra layer of security.
The Autowatch 68hi does not have any key switch to switch it off or valet mode. It was a good system for its time but its a bulky box which could be easily found and removed or you could stumble on the hidden push button.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Just found an autowatch 68hi in my desk draw that I bought years ago but never fitted.

If anyone wants to buy one, pm me!
If you've got the install instructions - i would really appreciate a scan of them!

Could maybe after all these years actually get the thing sorted!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny you mention that. My Golf R was stolen after thieves broke into my house while on holiday. Looking to buy a GTR as a replacement and the one thing I've been very nervous around is another theft. This Ghost system looks like just the ticket!

They've tried to steal my Golf as well. Broke into the house but the security put them off. The Mark 6 got very little attention but the Mark 7 is such a good car for the money. I'm very tempted to put a Ghost on both cars or maybe the cheaper product on the Golf which is now nearly 3 years old.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So this is not a tracker etc, this is a product to stop it from being stolen in the first place using a set combination of buttons to press before you can start the car? So there is no way a criminal can buy pass it without the combination?

Does it bring your insurance premium down and is recognised as a product to reduce the chance?

How much does this system cost to fit?

Could it be transferred to you next car if you sell it?

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Says at the top that it's not an approved product so won't help your insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you have have this facility if you have ecutek already!

I recall that you can prevent it from starting without entering a pin code. I could be completely wrong but I'm sure that's ringing a bell somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Anytime Ian, the Ghost system is the best antitheft system full stop, it's completely undetectable, it can't be blocked, scanned or jammed. It blocks the can system so cloning of keys will be eliminated. The only way your car could get stolen is physically picked up and taken away. Even if a thief came with a full Ecu set its still not starting. Best peace of mind mind money can buy.
Adam/Takamo

The question is, Does it work with the New CKC remote start system..... As in does autowatch ghost, stop the remote start working??

1 - 20 of 157 Posts