GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 157 Posts

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Just Googled Autowatch and theor hq is 10 mins from me in the next town. How convenient! :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It may be next door to you but it's an aproved dealer only available supply and fit product. Even though we have been an aproved dealer for twenty or so years we had go on extra training to be approved installer for the Ghost system.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It may be next door to you but it's an aproved dealer only available supply and fit product. Even though we have been an aproved dealer for twenty or so years we had go on extra training to be approved installer for the Ghost system.
Where are you based, serve, lead times?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Does this system arm automatically every time the ignition is switched off or can you be selective and arm it manually?

My thought process being it would annoy me to have to disarm it each and every time I want to start the car, however, it would be useful if I'm parking and leaving it for a period
Actually, I've just remembered that there's an app that works / syncs with the Ghost which means that your iphone (or presumably similar) can work as the PIN. Have a look on the website. Apologies I should have mentioned this earlier but I don't use a smart phone....

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Actually, I've just remembered that there's an app that works / syncs with the Ghost which means that your iphone (or presumably similar) can work as the PIN. Have a look on the website. Apologies I should have mentioned this earlier but I don't use a smart phone....
Yes that's correct that the Ghost can be programmed to work in conjunction with the IPhone but personally I'm not keen on the idea purely because God forbidding if the thief stole your keys and phone which are both valuable to them then he's bypassed your pin in theory. But as always that's another option for those who don't want to be entering a pin code which literally takes 3-4 seconds to do. Cheers Ian forgot to mention that myself.... Lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its designed to arm every time the ignition is switched off, it can be put into valet mode which will allow you to drive as long as you wish under 37mph and then it'll remain unarmed and you will not need to re enter the code the next time you start it, but personally if you think that it's too much hard work to press a couple of buttons to protect your pride and joy then it's not for you. Sods law it'll be that time you left it disarmed is when it might get nicked God forbidding of course
Just to clarify, it's not that I find it "too much hard work to press a few buttons to protect my pride and joy"...it's more that I already have an active tracker subscription, stock alarm/immobiliser, car is garaged, garage is alarmed and I've got CCTV cameras everywhere so the car is pretty well protected already.

I therefore thought it might just be useful to use selectively when out and about.

Consider how it would be on a track day - you might have to punch the code in 15-20 times in a day between different sessions. Despite how much I want to protect my pride and joy, that would get on my tits! :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Consider how it would be on a track day - you might have to punch the code in 15-20 times in a day between different sessions. Despite how much I want to protect my pride and joy, that would get on my tits! :chuckle:
The Autowatch 68hi has a key lock override to disable the functions should you require (hidden usually in the engine bay)

Can the Ghost have a key lock added to it too?

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Really sorry but knowing from bad experience how sensitive the canbus is to external sources of data, I'd want yo know exactly how the ghost is working before buying one.

I also want to know how many gtrs are stolen in the UK each year with or without keys.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Really sorry but knowing from bad experience how sensitive the canbus is to external sources of data, I'd want yo know exactly how the ghost is working before buying one.

I also want to know how many gtrs are stolen in the UK each year with or without keys.
Its simple Adam, it basically tells the cars can system to go deaf until it receives the correct pin code and then it starts to communicate with the cars Ecu, and as for how many cars are stolen without the keys this device will stop them with or without the keys. It's a 100%bullet proof method of preventing the car being driven away with or without the keys.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Just to clarify, it's not that I find it "too much hard work to press a few buttons to protect my pride and joy"...it's more that I already have an active tracker subscription, stock alarm/immobiliser, car is garaged, garage is alarmed and I've got CCTV cameras everywhere so the car is pretty well protected already.

I therefore thought it might just be useful to use selectively when out and about.

I appreciate like me you have cctv and immobiliser and alarmed garage and factory alarm system and tracker but unfortunately you can't take your cctv, garage or garage alarm with you when you go out, as for the factory alarm/immobiliser and tracker they can be disabled in a blink of the eye, Thieves can block/jam the tracker using a jammer and bypass the alarm immobiliser if the clone the key. The Ghost CAN NOT be blocked or jammed, it stops keys being cloned, it immobilises the car full can system so even changing the Ecu kit will not help.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Its simple Adam, it basically tells the cars can system to go deaf until it receives the correct pin code and then it starts to communicate with the cars Ecu, and as for how many cars are stolen without the keys this device will stop them with or without the keys. It's a 100%bullet proof method of preventing the car being driven away with or without the keys.
Canbus doesn't work like that. You cant tell it to go deaf, its a network of differing and disparate modules communicating over two wires (high and low) and isn't a simple on/off state.

The BCM checks whether the key is present using two internal antennas and if it is communicates to the ECU using canbus.

This unit works by either placing itself physically between the BCM and ECU and filtering the canbus signals until such time that the correct PIN is entered, or by placing itself at the BCM side and filtering the signals from the key antennae to achieve the same.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Canbus doesn't work like that. You cant tell it to go deaf, its a network of differing and disparate modules communicating over two wires (high and low) and isn't a simple on/off state.

The BCM checks whether the key is present using two internal antennas and if it is communicates to the ECU using canbus.

This unit works by either placing itself physically between the BCM and ECU and filtering the canbus signals until such time that the correct PIN is entered, or by placing itself at the BCM side and filtering the signals from the key antennae to achieve the same.
Unfortunately your incorrect, it works exactly as I described because it does not fit in between the wiring like a immobiliser cut would, it's wired into the cars can communication system and basically tells the ecu's to wake up or completely go deaf until it receives the correct pin code/signals. It's a very clever piece of technology and its soo small it can be literally be anywhere in the car, in places you wouldn't dream that a security device would be fitted unlike a alarm system, immobiliser or tracker systems.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Rab, are you sure you know what you are talking about here?

Everyone I know who understands in detail how the canbus works, especially in the gtr, is seriously sceptical about your description of what's happening.

I've done enough with the remote start to know that you don't just deafen the canbus. For a start the remote unlock wouldn't work.

It seems like a really good idea, but I'm just not satisfied with the details.

Would autowatch talk to me if I called?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts

Everyone I know who understands in detail how the canbus works, especially in the gtr, is seriously sceptical about your description of what's happening.

I've done enough with the remote start to know that you don't just deafen the canbus. For a start the remote unlock wouldn't work.

Adam, give Chris Preston a call at Veil Tuning, he is a very experienced guy and has been involved in the development work in fitting this system to several different types of vehicles with canbus. I have been chatting to him today about fitting an Autowatch system to another non GTR car and he seems very clued up about the Ghost. His number is 07956135770

·
Registered
80 Posts
What charles charlie said is correct. It could be a case of semantics, but he is not wrong.

There is only so many ways the Ghost device can be working. Based on the description of not cutting wires it can only be sitting on the can bus as a node. Therefore it is not making the canbus deaf, but rather putting the ECU is a state that is nonresponsive to start request. The canbus is still active and why things like door locks etc still work and of course how the Ghost unit then takes the ECU out of the immobilized state. I can hazard a guess of how the ghost is working, but won't go into details in public. Needless to say no security system is 100%, but ghost has a couple of things going for it; It has a small market share and It is small and can be placed in many locations within the car.

Taking the second point. The security system in cars are not poorly designed, it is just when you have millions of cars with identical systems the rewards for cracking them are so much greater. It is like viruses for computers, one reason there were so many more examples for Windows computers was that it was a much bigger target.

Some of the best examples of immobilizers I have seen have not been technologically sophisticated, but rather just unique. That is the opposite force at work.

Taking the first point of location, if one was to install the ghost system in every GTR in existence, how long before you run out of different places to install them? They need at a minimum connection to the canbus and power.

Seems like a good product, but I wouldn't never say 100% bullet proof. Makes the rewards large enough and someone will find a way.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts

No Adam I don't know what I'm talking about, I sell pizza's for a living..... Lol

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
What charles charlie said is correct. It could be a case of semantics, but he is not wrong.

There is only so many ways the Ghost device can be working. Based on the description of not cutting wires it can only be sitting on the can bus as a node. Therefore it is not making the canbus deaf, but rather putting the ECU is a state that is nonresponsive to start request. The canbus is still active and why things like door locks etc still work and of course how the Ghost unit then takes the ECU out of the immobilized state. I can hazard a guess of how the ghost is working, but won't go into details in public. Needless to say no security system is 100%, but ghost has a couple of things going for it; It has a small market share and It is small and can be placed in many locations within the car.

Taking the second point. The security system in cars are not poorly designed, it is just when you have millions of cars with identical systems the rewards for cracking them are so much greater. It is like viruses for computers, one reason there were so many more examples for Windows computers was that it was a much bigger target.

Some of the best examples of immobilizers I have seen have not been technologically sophisticated, but rather just unique. That is the opposite force at work.

Taking the first point of location, if one was to install the ghost system in every GTR in existence, how long before you run out of different places to install them? They need at a minimum connection to the canbus and power.

Seems like a good product, but I wouldn't never say 100% bullet proof. Makes the rewards large enough and someone will find a way.
Its not the immobilisers are easier to bypass, it's the fact that a key can easily be cloned without the Ghost stopping that being possible, also the device is tiny and can fitted literally anywhere and concealed inside a loom so a thief would have to literally strip the car down to a bare shell and possibly replace the wiring loom in order bypass the system and if they go to that extent then they deserve the car.... Lol. My apologies you are correct it doesn't completely deafen the whole can system but what I meant was any part of the can system which would allow the car to start. So yes you are rite about the locking for example.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
Sorry Rab, I thought you were an installer, I didn't realise you were an electronic engineer and programmer.
No offence taken Adam.... Lol, I'm not a programmer but I have a very good idea how electronically things work, over 30yrs of vehicle security you learn a thing or two :smokin:

61 - 80 of 157 Posts