GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the way, I've had a go at getting a few of your Avatars under the new 2,048 bytes limit, and have been pretty successful:)

So Daz, T9KYO, Alan & Shin you are all OK now and I didn't even need to resize the Avatar smaller :)

The trick is that .jpg files can be compresed to different qualities and knocking the quality back can do the trick without overly destroying the visual appeal.

So if anyone's stuck, Email [email protected] me the source pic you'd like optimised (I often get better results starting from the original big picture) and I'll do it for you if you don't have the tools

Cheers

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
So what are the limiting factors on the avatar,s then Joss :confused:
It was 80x80
Is it now 50x50 and a max bytes limit of 2048 :confused:
Or just a max byte limit
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
size

That's correct max is still 80x80 but absolute size is now 2,048 bytes... the animated gif guys are the ones who'll need to change, though I just squished in th bloke under the car :)

If you want to see how big an avatar (or any picture) is, right click and select properties.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Mine too....cheers Joss :cool:

Out of interest, what did you use to compress them further ?

Daz

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Squish

I use Paint Shop Pro .. which compresses jpgs better than photoshop :)

It has an animated gif program with it as well, which I used on Alan's bloke under the car, but Guy's and others were too big to do much with.

Also I noticed that several peole have used gifs for their pictures, which is a really bad system for photos (suited to plain graphics, hand drawn stuff, etc) so thise people could benefit a lot from going to a jpg.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Interestingly enough, that's what i use (version 7.04).

The animation shop is what i used to do the flashing headlights on my own site.

Great piece of s/ware.

Cheers
Daz

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PSP

only using V 5.01 here (though I bought the 7.1 upgrade on Friday). When you Save As..." a jpg file, there's Options... under which you can set the compression level and other stuff :)

Cheers

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping that

you'd do it yourselves :)

I did a few as a test to ensure that I wasn't being too scungy :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Joss - why is your avatar bigger - mine is 50x50
(Is your pic one of my photos)

Phil

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Size matters :)

I just made mine 80x80 .. in fact it's a close-up from a picture I took at a Grasshopper meeting, Then I compressed it enough so that it got under the 2,048 limit. (I lifted the 50x50 restriction once I realised that you could make 80x80 fit in the filesize)

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
I so wanted to avoid the why is yours bigger than mine debate!!

I must have jumped the gun on filesize!!

Ohh god - don't start a Phil - too soon thing now!!

Changed pic - again

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have just changed my avatar to a more interesting one.
I have had to compress this to on Paint Shop Pro.
Anyway whats happened to JRPigeons avatar?:eek:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm using Corel photo paint and havent found out how to compress a jpg file:confused: . I know how to make it smaller, which is what I have done. Think I've just about gone through all the tools in Corel, anyone know if it possible?

Cheers

Jason

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Have you not tried help on the program help thingy:D
Why not just send it to Joss or whatever.
I can compress it for you if you send it to me its up to you:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
The program help thingy makes my computer come up with a ilegal operation and the dreaded blue screen appears!, typical!:mad:. If you could sort the picture for me it would be appreciated, I will send it to you by email.

Many thanks

Jason

1 - 20 of 22 Posts