GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone..

I have an R34 GTT, converted to GTR with the RB26DETT engine and RB25DET Gearbox.. i purchased an XTD Lightweight flywheel & 6 paddle clutch kit which is suppose to be good for 430bhp.

last week we fitted the clutch and flywheel kit, the car has been driven carefully as the kits advise a 500 mile running in period.. yesterday i was driving the car and suddenly at roughly 3500 revs the gearbox exploded sending metal shards all over the underside of the car.. when i got the car into the garage and looked the pressure plate has failed, come away from the cover plate and smashed the bell-housing of the gearbox to pieces, the pressure plate also smashed into pieces and all the metal shards have severed the clutch slave cylinder, fuel lines, brake lines.. if that wasnt enough the metal shards also bounced up and hit an Audi that was behind me at the time causing damage to the bonnet..

so far im looking at a bill of £1400 plus fixing the bonnet on an Audi S5, plus i havent looked into fuel lines or brake pipes or welding up the various holes in the chassis where the metal shards have cut into the body and chassis legs.

all in all im looking at over £2000 repair bill just cos i wanted to save a little on the price of a clutch..

Just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this cheap quality and AVOID at all costs.. since this has happened i have done extensive research on the brand and its not a one off, there are a lot of issues reported with the pressure plates and paddle clutches.

i have contacted the seller of the kits to see if they would like to offer any compensation before i take this further..

any advice is welcome or has this happened to you aswell?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Gutted for you fella I think you would have more luck contacting xtd themselves quoting the model of clutch and when you bought it etc also who fitted it

·
Registered
429 Posts
since this has happened i have done extensive research on the brand and its not a one off, there are a lot of issues reported with the pressure plates and paddle clutches.

Maybe if you did this 1st you could of save yourself a load of hassle and money
Have you contacted the manufacturer ???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes everything was tightened up to correct torq settings, thread lock used aswell.. I'm an ex mechanic and did the work with my dad and I am 100% certain that everything was in order and double checked.. The pressure plate is defo at fault here, it looks to me said one of the 3 springs that holds the pressure plate disc has failed allowing the plate to rotate within the cover plate and has smashed everything to pieces all bolts are sheared off from the cover plate to the flywheel so nothing has come loose there and all bolts that were holding the flywheel were still intact and still very tight..

So far I have sent an email to the company I purchased the kit from and had no response, tomorrow I will be sending one direct to XTD..

I'm just glad no one was injured in this mess, if anyone had been walking down the roadside or parts had come fully through the chassis things could have been so much worse.. I just hope this stops someone else from trying to save a bit of money on a cheap clutch, I have now purchased a new gearbox, and a full twin plate clutch kit with flywheel. There's a lot of work to do mind before I can fit these but the car will be back on the road in the future.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had a grip fource same as xtd in my honda civic type r running 500bhp for 10k miles no problems it was only rated to 330bhp I was suprised it lasted so long

1 - 8 of 8 Posts