GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little trick that I perhaps shouldn’t be sharing with too many of you as the powers that be may intervene and close the loophole. Oh well, here it is…

In order to avoid getting nicked by traditional forward facing speed cameras (Big box that films the back of your car), do the following. Have a new rear number plate made up with one digit or letter being different from the original. Leave the front number plate the same, and make sure you are up to date on the tax front with the correct registration number on the tax disc.

You are now effectively camera proof.

Oh my God, I hear you cry, what if I’m found out??? - Well, read on…

1. It is very unlikely that a copper is going to notice that your cars rear plate is one digit out, if he / she is simply looking around the car and not running a vehicle check.

2. If he / she does run a vehicle check (spot check / being tailed etc), and your Skyline comes up as a Nissan Micra, simply pull the ‘sorry officer, the plate was smashed and I had to get a new one and the garage must have made a mistake’ routine. As long as your front plate and tax have the correct registration, the maximum you can get charged with is a ‘seven day wonder’, with you having to produce the ‘new’ plate (actually the old original from the attic) at an MOT station and get your ticket stamped. This is also very unlikely to happen, as the office will more than likely just ask you to get it fixed (too much paperwork).

There are no points and no fines associated with this ‘crime’.

I know that the above advice could be construed by many as reckless and irresponsible, but sod it, we as drivers are an oppressed species who need every help they can get in a world that’s becoming more big brother / nanny state every day.

I hope that helps and I hope it saves a few licence points.

Rupert

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Wouldn't consider that irresponsible - just safeguarding your interests (coming from someone who is possibly facing a ban at the moment).
I'm not sure that it would be so easy to convince them (or a magistrate) that it was a mistake - if you know about a scam, you can be pretty sure the police have come across it too.

Phil

·
Registered
498 Posts
So what happens when your car is nicked,your stolen car drives past plod who maybe looking for your Skyline but see the number plate is different so they leave it..Also how would you feel if you found out someone is already doing this with your plates....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ah ha...

Then you're in the shit...

...although I'm not too sure what you mean about 'Someone already doing it with your plates?'.

I also guess that PC plod seeing your (vary rare and correctly coloured) Skyline going past with a plate that is only one digit out, will probably take chase thinking his eyes were on the blink.

Rupert

·
Registered
961 Posts
bit of a difficult scam if your plates are N1 GTR or as near as !

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
hmm...

...not too sure of the point - the only thing I am reasonable sure on is that I am unlikely to be nicked by a traditional speed camera - certainly don't feel the need to wear a different plate for protection! Of much more concern to me would be the specs type camera (much stealthier, and if they start putting them over large distances I'd be in trouble!) and actually being lasered/radared/timed etc by the police, this is a much bigger worry and I'm not convinced there is much I can to avoid it :(

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you have a point there polarb... the specs cameras are the ones we need to avoid... calculating average speed is an evil way to book people!! but, do they actually use them, i thought there was a complaint about them infinging on peoples privacy or something, cameras taking mugshots of each person as they drive past etc...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points...

You are correct about the issues involving private plates, and yes it's not much good against other types of speed detection equipment however, if you live in the London area you must have been caught (perhaps nothing came of it) simply driving along, not thinking and getting flashed by a camera you probably even knew was there. It's for these instances this is a good tactic.

Rupert

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good scam.

I've heard of a similar thing but a lot more underhanded and a little nasty for someone else.

People have been getting speeding tickets, parking offenses etc for places and times they haven't been. On investigation it was obvious that someone else was driving around with the same type/colour car as them but with thier number plate!

Works but cruel!!!!! WOuldn't work with GTR boys as we all pretty much meet each other every few months.

·
Registered
592 Posts
One other option is erm not to speed - Past the cameras of course :)

http://ukgatso.com/index_files/mainpage.htm
http://www.abd.org.uk/cameras/map.htm

if your going to go a new route use the above to suss out if your going to get any of the little beggers

Re Specs one thing that is interesting is that the new ruling where cameras can only be placed in accident blackspots. This ruling comes out in a year or so and the police have to remove any cameras that they cannot prove are accident black spots- Specs dont really have a chance with this as they cover whole stretches of roads..

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news...

That is fantastic news. Believe it or not, I am actually a fan of cameras, when used properly. The simple fact is that a well-placed highly visible camera WILL slow the traffic down as it passes. QED: Put highly visible cameras in areas when you need the traffic to slow down for safely sake i.e. accident black spots, outside schools, through villages.

The cameras that really get my back up are like the ones found on the A40 between Oxford and Cheltenham, hidden behind signposts half way down a one-mile straight.

Rupert

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
ru..

I think it is a bloddy marvellous idea and I am off to my number plate man soon.
Anything to help out against those bloody cameras!
How the motor? Still thinking about that run...
Unreal.

NLW

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting all pumped up...

The 'Old Dog' is down with Abbey at the moment having more power extracted in time for ten of the best.

Rupert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some good ideas here;)

But when i go for a mad blast in the Evo i usually see forward facing cameras,the ones where the ****s hide in the bushes or at the end of a nice straight.So what i do is have 2 plates,one dinky one for town/normal driving and one thats snapped in half.
When you go into the country on a sunday for a good scratch,remove the dinky plate and hide it and get out your snapped plate and leave it off the car but in the car.

You get pulled"my plate smashed and havnt got a new one yet"
(you do get a ****ocking,but its worth it)

And when you see the look on the coppers face as he sits behind his camera and gets you only to realise you have no number plate its a picture,a nice wave as you go past goes down well:D :eek:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Duncan - I love it :D

If only the Micra had the power to get away with such antics lol

The only worry with a "fake" plate as rupert suggested (good idea tho!) is that the pigs may think your about to do a petrol station scam-splash and dash. Especially at the rate you guys get through fuel! Thats my only concern...

Rob

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snapped plate genius!

What a brilliantly obvious idea. Snapped plate coupled with dodgy rear plate, and you’re invincible with regard to all camera action.

Right – Off to get a new front plate after breaking the old one…

Rupert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad you liked my idea guys:)

Have fun,give the coppers a two finger salute as you go past

:D :D

Vennuth,i'm sure some of these guys will have a spare pair of turbos that you could use:eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts