GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I learn and learn about these cars, I seem to have more questions than answers! :D

Is it possible, or even likely that on a car, producing more boost than standard, oil can accumulate throughout the inlet system, round the recirc etc. over time, lets say 6 months to a year? I'm not talking through the rocker cover breather per say, but through seals on the turbos.

It would strike me that it is quite possible, and if the oil accumulates enough, it will therefore cause the engine to start smelling of oil as well as becoming more and more apparent in the system as well as gumming up the BOVs as well as impeding performance. Oil will eventually become aparent in the induction side of things too.

This kind of leads me to think that there is a possibility that this kind of oil accumulation on my car caused me to misdiagnose my turbos as having destroyed there seals prior to me blowing up some R34 this weekend :chuckle:...

I guess one way for me to find out will be to whack the original turbos back on and clean up all the oil from the system and see how quick it accumulates.

Any one care to extend on this theory? Isn't this really partly what catch cans are for? My understanding is that as the turbos go from negative pressure through to boost, the seat of the seal changes allowing small amounts of oil through.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
you will always have a bit of oil film in the inlet of any turbo engine. ive seen quite a few in my time petrols and diesels and theres always a film.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you will always have a bit of oil film in the inlet of any turbo engine. ive seen quite a few in my time petrols and diesels and theres always a film.
But is it possible to build up quite a bit do you think? I must say there is absolutely no detectable play in these turbos (by hand). There was way more in the R34 ones I fitted.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
But is it possible to build up quite a bit do you think? I must say there is absolutely no detectable play in these turbos (by hand). There was way more in the R34 ones I fitted.

how much is quite a bit though ? did it physically run out of a pipe ?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the induction pipes, there was oil coating the inside of them. There was also oil visible on the inside of the engine bay and some around the BOV side around the under tray. Is it possible that when the Intercooler popped off a week prior this aided and abetted oil deposition?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
overboost will do it. i had an air injector plug fall of on a cossie and it went from 32 psi to 38 psi and it spat quite a bit of oil out of the breather vent.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
it was mapped to 32 psi but overboosted to 38 psi as the air injectors wernt connected and they hold off boost. dodgy really as if they fail it runs as much boost as the actuator will hold on the wastegate. quite alot with a hole of preload !

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was mapped to 32 psi but overboosted to 38 psi as the air injectors wernt connected and they hold off boost. dodgy really as if they fail it runs as much boost as the actuator will hold on the wastegate. quite alot with a hole of preload !
Ok, sounds dodgy, my car is running an HKS EVC 6 so I can alter the boost.

If its running stock ecu then presumably, at some point it's over boosting. where would you suggest the oil coming from, how is it getting through. Again, stupid questions possibly. I have my own opinions but would rather hear others for now. I think I just spent the last 3 months of any spare time I had changing turbos needlessly.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
there will always be a small ammount of oil getting past turbo seals its innevitable mate. as the boost rises with tuning it has to get worse. but remember when you have spillt a tiny bit of oil on the floor it looks a big puddle but its only a very small ammount. oil spreads everywhere and sticks to everything so it often looks alot worse than it really is. if the turbos are shot you will know about it major exhaust smoke if it gets out exhaust side or a big puddle in the intercooler.

419 Posts
oil

the symptoms your car is displaying is typical of a car breathing a bit into the rear turbo inlet. Block of the breather connection and run an oil atch tank. I wouldnt mind betting that would cure your problem.

Tony

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
the symptoms your car is displaying is typical of a car breathing a bit into the rear turbo inlet. Block of the breather connection and run an oil atch tank. I wouldnt mind betting that would cure your problem.

Tony
sounds like sound advice to me i didnt know they had a breather that fed back into a turbo.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Yep; one 'end' goes to the plenum and the other to the intake by the turbos. I'd recommend a catch tank.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, sounds interesting.
Am getting a price for my turbos rebuilt without ceramics.
Will let you know how it turns out.

Just remind me, the breather you are receding to goes from the rocker cover to the rear turbo does it not? It splices in on the side of the rubber pipe vie a short wetal section, no?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Dunno tbh; mines blocked off at the turbo end (got catch tank).

·
Registered
103 Posts
sounds like shot turbos if the oil is severe and like someone mentioned earlier if its thick smoke then oil in your exhaust burning away popped seals mostly caused by overrun and or oil contamination

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was no smoke coming from the exhaust. Doh!
Either way the r34 turbos are going to have to come out again. Hehe.

Shouldn't be that bad, all the bolts should undo nice and easy now.

Anybody ever had oil seals pressure tested on turbos, is that even possible?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts