GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its good to find this Forum.

Let me do a few ramblings :)

I've known about Skylines for a few years, but never thought I'd be in position to buy one. Still aren't atm, but I've got 1.5 years left on my company car, then I get the chance to opt out.

Due to a certain Webmaster chappie, Im now in the position where I need a Skyline. Its not a want, or a like, *I need* one.

I've currently got a MY01 WRX. I bought it (well picked it from the list of company cars) without really knowing that much about them. I knew about the shape change and that it was now "refined", but I must say, its probably one of the biggest disapoinments of my life. It was not the legend of a car that some people (i.e scoobynet) have you beleive it is. If I'd bought the car with my own money, I'd be well pi$$ed off. Its not refined, its not what I call fast, and the build quality is crap.

I had a 10year old ur Quattro before which was in better nick than my 1.5year old WRX is now. It was a nicer car to drive, just as fast, and you could have a conversation in it without shouting.

Anyway Im now finding out as much as I possibly can about Skyline ownership, pro's and con's etc. before having to make a decision in about 1.5years time. The way I see it now is that if I can't have a skyline, I may as well get a turbo diesel. Not a lot of point in getting anything inbetween.

Anyway, I'll be hanging about on here for a good fair while, so if I ask any stupid question, please forgive me, Im just attemptig to glean as much information as possible. Also getting an idea of what to look for, what goes wrong etc. etc.

If you have experience of going from a WRX to a SL, it would be interesting to read your thoughts..... no rush.......

Thanks for your time. From what I've read, and who I've met so far, you have a nice community. Just don't get too many muppets on board ;)

Regards

^Qwerty^

·
Registered
364 Posts
i am in the process of buying my first skyline test drove the car and i new that i had to have it.everyone looks at you you feel on top of the world when your in one,the car is held in the highest regard respected by most if not all car drivers even BMW drivers! costs for sevicing and parts i found pretty reasonable but this depends on your buget i suppose,as an eveyday car they are probably expensive to run but have to find that out in my own time but the experience was the decider for me the car in my opinion is great handles very well for a big car and performance is very quick in short the cars a legend. i could go on but i think you get the picture!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used to have a ur quatro mate and let me tell you a skyline is the car for you. Cant comment on a scooby only ever realy been in one but I remeber thinking that the dash and gear stick all seemed a bit cheap and nasty.

Nothing ever realy came close to the ur except my mates RS4 which you can see on some of the threads. My baby is by far the best thing I have driven and God forbid I ever need to drive anything else.....well maybe a Lambo.

Just go for it I dont know whether you want to go 33 or 34 but if you can, get GTR or GTR Vspec.

If you are evr up north give me a shout and you can have a go or better still go to Middlehurst and get a test drive with Andy Middlehurs, be aware that he cant help it, but has to have a go first just to show you how fast he can take one round a rounabout. Its face to the glass stuff but a good laugh.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
520 Posts
QWERTY, are you the guy I spoke to at the SIDC national day at Donnington? You were blagging a ride with Cem, I had the white GTR.

1.5 years? Jesus, that's a long time; I couldn't wait that long. Maybe you should wait until someone is tailgating you on the motorway and then slam on the brakes. Thus writing off the WRX and allowing you to get a Skyline. :)

Ps. I had the classic shape scooby before the GTR and loved it! They're just a bit too common for me now, and most seem to be driven by nobs - what a snob I am. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thats me. Know CEM oringnally through playing Counter-Strike. He does however appear to have kicked that vice ;)

Price wise at the moment, I don't appear to have a cat in hell's chance of getting an R34.

R33's appear to be fair game budget wise, and I *will* be getting a V-Spec, unless I learn something from this forum that I don't know yet.

Its one of the reasons I'm hanging about on here now, more so than the Scoobynet. There appears to be many different models and versions, and I need to know them inside out before going shopping.

Quite like the comment of slamming on the brakes.....but Im not ready to buy yet anyway. Need more information before/if I take the plunge.

As for even being up North... I live up North :)

Howden, East Yorkshire. Not far from Elvington.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A V-Spec would be ideal, but i wouldn't disregard a regular GTR just because it's not a V-Spec....

The chances of you noticing the increased speed of response of ATESSA are slim. The only other diffs are harder suspension and an Active LSD (left to right rear wheel torque splitting).

Both are fantastic cars. V-Specs command a price premium, and it's not that important IMHO.

jon

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Non Vspec

Both Rocket Ronnies and my cars are non-V spec and 650+bhp. The rear diffs are actually stronger in non V-spec and more upgradeable.

Once you've changed the springs (as most V and non-V owners do to lower the car), you will not notice the difference.

Remember only 28% of R33s made were V-Spec, compare that to the proportion advertised as being V-spec.

Guy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Non Vspec

Guy said:

Remember only 28% of R33s made were V-Spec, compare that to the proportion advertised as being V-spec.

Guy
This is exactly the kind of useful information Im after. Im pretty sure I read something about crawling under the back of cars and looking at the diff to work out what car it was....

TBH, if or when I come to buy, I'll be either getting it from a garage on the wrong side of those there hills in the distance or taking somebody along who knows whats what.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Non Vspec

Guy said:
Both Rocket Ronnies and my cars are non-V spec and 650+bhp. The rear diffs are actually stronger in non V-spec and more upgradeable.

Once you've changed the springs (as most V and non-V owners do to lower the car), you will not notice the difference.

Guy
Why or how are the difs stronger?

And forgive me for being a bit synical but the BHP has nothing to do with vspe or not vspec but more about how much you want to spend.:) :)

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I owe Querty a HUGE amount of favours as he has bent over backwards for me on many occassions.

Please look after him! :)

The biggest impact a Skyline had on me that I hadn't prepared for was running costs. If you plan on being meticulous with servicing then it costs an arm and a leg, no two ways about it. It's why you rarely see any massive power R34's because it's just too expensive to do so.

Cem

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jesus, it MUST be expensive if u cant afford it Cem!!!;)

Just Joking, I was wondering why mr money bags Glens was so powerfull though!!!

Si:D :D

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Diffs

The active diff is made differently, hence the active bit. It is apparently weaker, I have heard this from many tuners (UK and Japan).

The only reason I mention power is to say don't overlook a non-V, just 'cos it hasn't got the badge. If the V-Spec made that much difference I would bought one instead.

Guy

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
v-spec & non-v-spec doesnt really make a difference. The only way you are going to notice anything is on track, and if you are some kind of professional driver.

the non-v-spec rear diff is stronger than the active one, but in Japan the big horsepower cars, all tend to use mechanical LSDs...as there is a limit to everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Garage in Bristol has two in atm:

Nissan Skyline R34 Turbo 2 Door, 1999 (R Reg), Grey Metallic, Central Locking, Electric Door Mirrors, ABS, Alarm, Air Conditioning, Immobiliser, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Sunroof, Drivers Airbag, Full Service History, Alloy Wheels, One Owner, Auto TipTronic, A Stunning Example, Not Far Off From The V Spec, Loads Off, Extras Must Be Viewed And Driven To Appreciate, £22995 Carcade Motors UK Limited 0121 643 1452

and

Nissan Skyline R34 Automatic 2 Door, 1999 (S Reg), Yellow, Central Locking, Electric Door Mirrors, ABS, Alarm, Air Conditioning, Immobiliser, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Sunroof, Drivers Airbag, Full Service History, Alloy Wheels, One Owner, A Stunning Example, Not Far Off From The V Spec, Loads Off, Extras Must Be Viewed And Driven To Appreciate, £23995 Carcade Motors UK Limited 0121 643 1452

Besides being Auto's (don't really want an Auto), what exactly are these two cars? I'd prefer an R34 just for looks, but thats subjective anyway, because I've heard people say the same thing about the 33. Just don't want an Auto.

Found both on fish4motors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts