GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen issue 11(aug/sept) of Banzai-a japanese car tuning magazine?
Here's what they wrote about our 'little' club:

"I don't like pessimism,but i was disappointed with a recent Skyline club meet.I found 20-odd cars outside but a distinct lack of owners.plenty of people in the pub,though.I only knew 2 members names ,so I worked mymway through every beer-clenching group to find 'em.no luck.popped outside again& found,with one exception,the owners to be unfreindly & unco-operative.I was not in the mood for this,so I went home.Heard later they were expecting substantial evidence of who I was.What do you mean?Signwritten car , Ali G-style BANZAI jacket & a rousing fanfare?Sure.To make matters worse,the club's website reckoned I'D made a blunder.EH? Come on guys,let's show some solidarity!" Joe Clifford

guys & gaqles ,is this chap for real?

does anybody know what happened?

can we contact this fellow & try to make amends?

surely we dont need/like this type of publicity?

concerned

paul.gtr33

·
Registered
534 Posts
Banzai bungle

Scott posted the following on 9-May on the old message Board.

I'm not sure if poeple were aware, but Banzai magazine was ment to be paying us a visit sunday at the Grasshopper. I have just recieved a note off of the guy saying how he couldn't find anyone at 1.30 when he arrived.

Apparently people gave him a wide birth as soon as he mentioned he was from Banzai. The funny thing was he was looking for Jason or myself, but when he came up to me he only asked for Jason, not knowing either him or Jason I sent him on his way!

Oh well, you'll see him at the Dyno Day, maybe he'll manage to find the 20 Skylines there. There not that easy to hide.

So really his comment is justified, even if it was a result of confusion and bungling :(

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,598 Posts

Joss,

Just wanting to clear things up here. When I wrote 'I sent him on his way!' , that was under poetic licence. I didn't really run him out of town just jesting for the note.

As I can remember, he wrote to me asking about him turning up at the Grasshopper. I put it to the rest of the group and people agreed.

He was also in conversation with Jason at the time regarding the say meet. Last thing I heard was that he probably won't be able to make it, but will try.

On the day I was under Skyline influence and forgot all about him. He didn't intend for me to be his host, and I'm not the main speaking force for the group, he just said probably see you there.

What I remember next was speaking to Shaun and some others in the car park when a plain clothed bloke asked if "any of us were called Jason". To which we all answered correctly, "No mate sorry". And he walked away. That's IT.

He didn't ask for me of I would of said something.

And all this, 'Signwritten car , Ali G-style BANZAI jacket & a rousing fanfare', business. What I was referring too was the was nothing to jog my memory that it may be him from Banzai. He just seamed like Jo Public, with no clues that would fill in for his vagueness and lack of introduction.

I don't know who was rude to him, and was quite disappointed to hear that someone was, but I for one was polite and concise to the casual question asked.

As anyone who's met up will know we are a collective with no real clip board wielding central man running these gatherings. I don't know what he was expecting. Signwritten cars , Ali G-style 'GT-R REGISTER' jacket & a rousing fanfare maybe??

So why are they still blumbing about it so long after?? Probably because their magazine competetors came to the Dyno Day and didn't send such a half witted journalist. He found us.

I'm not a trouble starter at all, but I don't like this one side press reporting from them. Poor show, Just as well buy the other mag now.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Calm down, calm down

I can understand what you are saying. Perhaps in future he could introduce himself with the words 'Hello, I am from Banzai magazine....I am looking for Jason'. Reply....Sorry Jason is not here but can we help you?
This will stop this happening again. I read the article and it gives a different picture of what everyone is like. Does negative publicity matter though, we are not marketable.
Dave

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I wasn't there but it sounds like a case of CYA. Their competitors got some good coverage and now (long after the event) he is saying what a rotten lot we are. Does anyone know his editor?:D

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,598 Posts
Fuel on the fire.

Dave

Exactly we aren't marketable, although we really don't want to discourage people from joining us. So when are they going to too get over it, its was some 4-5 months now?? Or have they got a hate campaign??

Let them sulk and do articles on Colt GTi's and widebodied chrome Hondas, leaving the Skylines to 'Japanese performance'. :D :D Their a lovely bunch, real freindly. :D :D

Fuggles, CYA? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi Scott,

I wouldn't worry about it .. I thought your first post pretty well summed it up .. Henry put his hand up for being a bit rude, but as he said, the guy just started snapping his car with out asking or with Henry knowing who he was .. so fair enough.

It's just a lesson to be learned from both sides ... next time we have a mag, we need to set the ground rules and intros so there's no confusion.

I'll guess that the article was held over until the next available issue hence the delay (it's quite common .. in the computer mag business it can sometimes take ages to see something in print)

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts