GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys

Before I go ahead and do something I may regret - thought I would ask first.
The NISSAN badge on the center of the trunk (R34 GTR) - if i remove it is the any holes underneath in the truck, or is it just glued on?

Daniel

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
no, no holes, it's stuck on but a real bitch to remove!
You can say that again!!!

Mine came off, then was left with glue residue. Tried taking it off with some glue remover which did nothing. And then took some harsher route which involved in removing the paint!!! So had to get the whole bootlid resprayed!!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hairdrier?

Took the S U B A R U of someones car a while ago, best way is to warm the glue to get the badges off.. needs patience though, dont just warm it and expect it to drop off within seconds.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Praise it off without marking the paint, With the remaining glue just spray some brake cleaner on it, As this eats the glue and rub off with a minute.

Polish off all remaning brake fluid to stop attacking paint. Job done.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Best way I've found is to warm it up as suggested with a hairdryer, then use some fishing line to 'slice' it off. Wrap the ends of a short piece of line round a finger of each hand, then use it like a cheese slicer wire thing to cut through the adhesive.

The line, being some nylon type stuff, (not metal), will not harm the paint as you're not applying any point sources of force directly into the panel, (like with screwdriver levering), so the chances of damaging anything are remote. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
will white spirit start to rip the paint off though?

I want to take the 25Gtt badge of mine as its not a 2.5 :)

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
pour boiling water over the badge

then, using a peice of fishing line, cut the badge off like a cheese wire

then, apply more soapy boiling water and use a SOFT credit card to work the residue off.

then polish to a shine :)

mook

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
will white spirit start to rip the paint off though?

I want to take the 25Gtt badge of mine as its not a 2.5 :)
Doesn't lift the paint if you wipe it all off. Doesn't take long to get rid of the glue.

Got a pic of your 25GTT badge - I might buy it!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
OK it came off very easy (The badge) but there is still a faint outline of glue left and hot soapy water isent removing it.
Brake cleaner dosent do nothing.
I dont see a fishing line working as I cant scrape it off with a credit card.

And Im scared to use white spirit. I know Im going to end up taking it to get resprayed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Seriously, white spirit will remove the glue quickly and might take a few microns of lacquer off but it isn't going to damage your paintwork - it's not paintstripper!

I removed a GTR badge from the boot of my GTT (previous owner trying to pretend it was a GTR!). You can hardly see where the badge was. I'm sure that the faint traces you can see are where the badge glue has eaten into the lacquer - and that's nothing a bit of re-lacquering, T-cut and polish wouldn't completely remove.

Andy

·
Registered
179 Posts
hi daniel.

all you need is some panel wipe any car spares or car paint supplier will have some its also a degreaser so it has other uses for your car, once you get your badge off just use a cloth and soak it in panel wipe then dab it on leave it 30 secs then get a plastic spreader (like the ones you use for body filler) and scrape it off gently, then just repeat it until its all off then just buff up with some car polish, job done. it might take a while cos factory badge tape is far stronger than you would get from a car spares.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts