GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all other HiPo cars I have built engines for I have always baffled the sump to help to avoid oil starvation problems from the oil washing away from the pick up around fast long sweeper type corners. Has anyone had any problems with maintaining oil pressure in their GTR's whilst on the track?

Mick.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Sump

Most uprated GTRs run a big sump conversion, the most popular is by Trust and is baffled as well.

Lots of GTRs have broken engines due to oil starvation.

Guy

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
A very popular upgrade to make on a tuned RB is a N1 or equivalent oil pump to help against pressure drops & provide better circulation. This mated to a larger sump extention like the Trust item Guy mentioned or an Auto Select item(pictured below) and baffle plates should guarantee good oil pick up. There is always the very expensive route of a dry sump...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sump Extensions

Mine benefitted from an engine rebuild in '99 due to oil surge. It explains why the previous owner installed a Trust extended sump, uprated oil pump and an oil breather to make sure the oil does what it should!

Make sure you do it before setting out onto the track, and don't be tempted to over rev it either as that't the quicked way to find out how much an RB26 bottom end costs ;)

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
997 Posts
Trust sump extension

I`ve had the above for the last couple of years.A good piece of kit and a benefit against oil starvation on big end bearing No6 on Track.BUT don`t let the lack of not having one stop you from enjoying yourself mate.Just keep checking that dip-stick,8litres is better than 4.

Henry.(Forum Model):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks one and all. Baffled sump on its way. The engine is out of the car now so the time is right.

Love the dry sump idea, anyone want to give me the $$$$$. I promise I will pass all my findings on.

Mick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well as far as I know, it is going well. I got it baffled when the motor was out of the car and it seems to be holding oil pressure well. I ran the car at Winton Race way about a month ago and oil pressure was fine. I did still over fill it just too be sure and all is well, so ok. The motor is also a 33 motor so has the different oil pump and pick up.

Mick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts