GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel so sorry for all those involved in this appalling accident today.

Just don't understand how they can be allowed to perform such stunts over populated area,roads etc. :mad:

R.I.P

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thought's go out to the families

My father's been involved with avaition design for over 40 years and we've been to many airshows.

When I told him the news about today as it's only about 20 mins from me, he just looked at me and said..... ''It's over son''

Too many of these ''accidents'' for people to tolerate now, even though without the efforts of these vintage aircraft back in the day, we may not have been here to complain, but that's another discussion. I think this incident could well be the straw that broke/ breaks the camels back.

Reality is these airframes are old and were never designed to do so many hours. It seems that's the reason the Vulcan will not be licensed again. The airframe is good with low hours but the engines are old with many hours service and there's no replacements and limited parts so it's just not safe to keep it flying.

RIP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whilst it's devastating when accidents happen, to ban airshows is a pointless knee jerk reaction.
Well there was another crash today !

When you kill people who are not at the show and are just driving home from work you have crossed the line !

If you go as a spectator you take the risk,like motorsport fans.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with Andy. Make them safer but don't ban them otherwise you might as well ban anything that presents any risk if things go wrong
Think you have missed the point !

Innocent people have been killed because someone is showing off in 50 year old plane.

If spectators at the show had been killed,they would have known the risks involved and made the choice to attend.

I am all for risk taking events,been to the TT a few times,F1,drag racing but "I" make that choice.

·
Administrator
31,478 Posts
I got your point. Just make them safer. I.e over water etc

Innocent people die all the time. You can mitigate risk but you can never eliminate it entirely so have to have a certain degree of common sense instead of knee jerk.

Otherwise ban all firework displays, ban all pleasure flights, ban anything that isn't essential.

I'm not saying it isn't utterly tragic but it's an accident and sometimes they happen.

·
Super Moderator
15,642 Posts
It's terrible, imagine your crap luck to be at that point in the road at that exact moment. Thoughts with the families.

Perhaps they have to stop the fancy tricks over busy areas. They generally are pushing it when things go wrong.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
These shows where Ariel stunts are done should be away from homes and busy roads, if that can't be avoided then don't allow the stunts to take place.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Theskycankill - intersting username, here for car related stuff or just to post tosh like this thread?

This forum seems to attract all kinds of pondlife and complete bellends nowadays.

DO NOT go to any car shows or race events, you MAY be killed.

It was an accident, tragic, possibly avoidable but still, an accident.

Knee jerk reactions is what finishes events people love off.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
Well said Trev.
All flying aircraft have a certificate of airworthiness, no matter that their age. It's the law.
Until the cause of this tragic accident is known, let's not fly off the handle making ridiculous statements.

·
Administrator
31,478 Posts
Theskycankill - intersting username, here for car related stuff or just to post tosh like this thread?

This forum seems to attract all kinds of pondlife and complete bellends nowadays.

DO NOT go to any car shows or race events, you MAY be killed.

It was an accident, tragic, possibly avoidable but still, an accident.

Knee jerk reactions is what finishes events people love off.
A bit harsh there trev. As he says those killed weren't attending the show so didn't sign up to the risk. No need for name calling. It's clearly an emotive subject.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As someone who lives under the flight zone (we're 1mile from the runway) for the Shoreham air show I have to agree with some of you that the airshow should NOT be banned.

BUT...

Given the main runway is less than 200 metres from the busiest A road in the south of England I do think it should be changed. The area surrounding the airport is too densely populated now and the risk factor will just keep increasing.

Why can't they do the same as Bournemouth, or Eastbourne. Take off, head out over the sea and perform the manoeuvres. Will it still be dangerous? yes, but the risk to spectators and bystanders is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Why can't they do the same as Bournemouth, or Eastbourne. Take off, head out over the sea and perform the manoeuvres. Will it still be dangerous? yes, but the risk to spectators and bystanders is greatly reduced.
Possibly the main reason that its held at Shoreham Airport is a financial one. Bournemouth and Eastbourne airshows are funded, at least in part, by their councils and its free to view for spectators. Shoreham airshows proceeds (I believe) go to the RAF Association charity so obviously they would lose out if the event was moved.

I'm just down the road from this too and to people from outside the area it doesn't seem like the greatest place for an airshow with the road on one side, the river on another, the railway on another side but the airfields been there a long time and like most airfields in the South East of England developments have appeared around it.
When the winds blowing from the SW every plane that lands there is passing around 50-100ft over the top of the road to land on the single tarmac runway. A mechanical failure at that point would be a problem. Its not the only airfield like that though. Duxford has a motorway at the end of its runway.

There seems to be a lot of people saying old aeroplanes should be banned/airshows should be banned and although its awful that this has happened its the first accident involving people on the ground at an airshow in the UK since the terrible crash at Farnborough in 1952 where 29 people died and many more were seriously injured when the DH110 broke up in mid-air. When that happened they changed the rules regarding display heights and over flying spectators to make displays safer.
It shows how times have changed. On Saturday the Shoreham airshow was stopped immediately and Sundays display was cancelled whereas in 1952 at Farnborough they cleared the wreckage of the DH110 and then the airshow carried on....in fact Neville Duke then took the prototype Hawker Hunter up and went supersonic over the airfield !
Back in those days test pilots were household names and it was quite common for them to die and I guess being only 7 years after the war the british public were more matter of fact about it too.

The AAIB will investigate and find the cause of the accident whether it be pilot error or mechanical failure. Looking at some of the footage it appeared that the pilot was manouvering right until the last moment which I'd imagine is why he stayed in it rather than ejecting and why there aren't a lot more casualties as the plane cleared a lot of queued traffic including a coach and also the Ricardos site.
Have to say some of the reporting has been bloody awful, inaccurate and sensationalist, and frankly its a bit disturbing how many people have posted montages (some with bloody music !!!) of the crash on their Youtube channels. :(

Condolences to all the people affected by the crash.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
If you ban air shows the surely you must also ban football matches after hillsboro

and of course ban going on boats on the river thames after the marshionesse

and obviously youd have to ban all form of motorsport

and then equally obviously ban driving on the roads and planes flying in the sky

then of course you wouldnt need to ban air shows

1 - 20 of 57 Posts