GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Skyline peeps !

Just thought I would ask this question here !

I needed a pick me up today so I decided to take my R33 out for a blast, I hadn't used it since last weekend and was getting cheesed off with driving my Rover runaround ! So, I goes out to the garage, no alarm beep when I pressed the button, 'oh no, not again' I thought, used the key to get in the car, upon turning the key in the ignition I didn't even get any dashboard lights on ! The battery was totally flat (again !). Anyway, so I went and got my mobile jumpstarter, connected it, blew my eardrums apart when the alarm kicked back into life and then proceeded to start the car and go out for said drive ! :D

Every year now the bloody battery goes on my car and I was wondering if there is any better alternative that we could use that would be more reliable ? I know from previous enquiries that Nissan want £285 + VAT for a Skyline battery ! I have bought cheeper elsewhere previously but I want one that is actually going to last a while ! Oh yes, if at all possible, it cannot be any higher than the standard unit cos it will hit on the magnet of my 6x9's that sit just above the battery !

Any advise on this one anyone ?

Stu, did you put a new battery on yours after it going flat at Bentwaters the other day ?

Cheers

Shaun.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Batteries!

Shaun I had the same problem on my GT-R , I went on holiday for a week the car sat in the garage with full alarm and immobilzer doing their thing for about 10 days with only a short drive previous.

The battery was flat on my return , when I had my work done by Abbey they said the batteries weren't much cop and changed it for a Ford sierra one that is a third bigger and I have had no problems since. And my receipt says £38.28 + VAT so give them a tinkle!!

...Ian

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My friend its Value Added Tax , basically what the goverment add on for some reason...17.5%!!

Still makes the battery cheaper than Nissans £200- though!

...ian

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
It is flat again

I keep having problems with mine. I left the boot open last week, i.e. the boot light on (and interior I guess) and that flattened the battery pretty quick. Is ok if I drive the car every weekend. Will give Abbey a call for recommended battery. For £200 you could have the whole sierra:D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Perhaps Alan will be able to put us straight, he has a gizmo on his car battery that when sitting at rest slowly charges and discharges the battery so you can leave it for ages without running it.

The cycling of the batteries actually prolongs the life of the battery.

Alan, any details ???

/Steve

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Save your money on batteries and go out and buy an Accumate battery conditioner.
It is the car version of the Optimate which is very popular with Motorcycles.
All you do is plug your car in when you put it to bed and it does not matter how long you leave it, she will be fully charged when you return.
It is designed to be left on for ever, it monitors you battery state of charge and over a period of weeks puts a load on it and discharges/charges it on a repeated cycle.
Cost £39.99 :D or abouts it was a few years ago
There are a few different types on the market but I have been using the Motorcycle ones for years now and the car one for 2 years and no more flat batteries.
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Alan?

Do you plug it into the front Battery terminals or in to the rear where the battery is?

Just thinking about plug availablity in garage against which way I put the car away!:D Sad aint I!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Better straight on the battery.
It comes with 2 connections, 1 with clips and one with ring terminals.
I have connected the ring terminal one onto the batt and the plug hangs out where the torsion bar mounts.
All i do is lift the boot plug the lead in and close the boot lid.
The wire is thin enough to be trapped in the boot seal.
Job done :D

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I got mine from my local Motorcycle shop.
If they sell the Optimate one they can order the car version the Accumate.
I believe the only diff is that the car version has a max charging rate of 1.2 amps where as the bike version has a max charging of 0.6 amps.
It also does MF and GEL batts
Best regards Alan

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
No more flat batteries

Cool. I have never heard of this product ( until now). I have a plug socket above the bonnet when parked so this would be great. I have never seen one for sale though.
dave

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
batteries

hello chaps,

Batteries on Skylines.... What most people dont relialise is that altough the Skyrocket is a large car, the battery which Nissan fit is the same one that Mr Nissan's wife uses in her love toys and its very small. What also happens is that if you have an import, it is likely that the car in some shape or form has been standing dormant for over three months, ie before and after auction, waiting for the ship, 1.5 months on the ship, 1 month for registration or even longer with SVA testing in most instances so the battery fitted has had alot of recharging or jump starting hence it gets a bit shagged. Then we get a car, fit all our electronics, stereos, alarms etc which is fine but all this drains the weak battery and it goes flat. What you need to do is ditch the small terminaled battery, buy a large amp battery and exchange the terminals to big ones, buy a new battery clamp and away you go. Its an hour job max but you have to remove the rear strut brace and internal boot fittings to fit but well worth it.

Its not going to make the car look better or go faster but a well worthy, saturday afternoon DIY mod.

One of my friends has just returned from Japan with self start/turbotimer gizmo's which will suit you if you leave your car for a long time. It is a remote control starter, turbo timer and the best bit - it senses when your battery voltage is low and starts the car before its too late and charges the battery for you!

This is OK in the privacy of your own garage if you leave the car for ages but not good if you are in Brixton high Street overnight.

I think they are about £ 220 each and can give you his number if you wish, he broght back a suitcase of them.

Yours fully charged,,

Dirk.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Thanks Alan. Will read up when I have more time. Those colour schemes are a bit poor on the site. Is it designed in Microsoft Word:D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flat as a pancake !

Cheers for the advice peeps,

I can't use your option i'm afraid Alan, as I have no mains power supply in my garage ! :mad:

So, it looks like 1) Buy another standard (Micra) battery to last another year or 2) Take Ian's advice and change the battery for a bigger one & change the terminals (is this an easy job to do ?).

I have taken my 'dead' battery off of the car, and it is now indoors receiving a full trickle charge, which, hopefully may kick some life back into it for another month or so !!!

I am glad I am not the only one who suffers from this problem ! :confused:

Shaun.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No mains power

Yeah, tell me about it ! :(

It's a shame as I have seen one of those thingy's you are on about and it would solve all of my problems as well !

Oh well, another new battery is looking like my next purchase then !! :(

Cheers

Shaun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts