GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting really pi$$ed off with my car as every time I leave it for more than a few days the battery ends up without charge :mad:

I have recently bought a new battery without any improvement. DaveW suggested that I try a solar trickle charger which I have bought but I just wondered if anyone else has tried this and with what results?

Also, as the solar charger plugs in to the cigarette lighter can anyone tell me if the power to the lighter socket is killed when the ignition is turned off? If that is the case then I will need to wire the solar charger direct to the battery terminals right?

Thanks in advance.

George

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was having the same problems as yourself until I fitted and am now using one of these CTEK Battery chargers - MULTI XS 3600 - Features and benefits I have never had any problems since.

In fact I took my GT-R out for a drive here in Sweden today and it hadn't been started for six weeks, it started like it was already warm and had already been out on a run.

I cannot recommend the ctek enough in my opinion.

Shaun.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I was having the same problems as yourself until I fitted and am now using one of these CTEK Battery chargers - MULTI XS 3600 - Features and benefits I have never had any problems since.

In fact I took my GT-R out for a drive here in Sweden today and it hadn't been started for six weeks, it started like it was already warm and had already been out on a run.

I cannot recommend the ctek enough in my opinion.

Shaun.
Could you explain how it works please? I was looking at solar chargers but is this better?

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
just buy a small solar charger, if its a 33, you can put it on the rear shelf and wire it straight into the battery

i did this, and along with a new battery, have not had a problem since

mook

·
Registered
694 Posts
Could you explain how it works please? I was looking at solar chargers but is this better?
Not a problem as it's dead easy, the unit comes with a connection lead with eyelet terminals that you can see as the first item on this link CTEK Battery chargers - MULTI XS 3600 - Accessories you permantely connect this to the battery in the boot and every time you park up at home or in your garage all you do is open the boot connect the ctek to this connection lead on your battery, set the ctek on to maintenance mode (two presses of the button on the 3600) plug it into the wall shut your boot lock your car and never worry about a flat battery again.

It really is as simple as that and it works fantastic !!

Worth every penny (or kronor as it is for me now here in Sweden).

Shaun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My battery used t9o eat my battery for years. Month parked up and dead.

Solved this by A) buying a much larger battery with bigger cranking power to handle all my other power drains off it. The one I got at moment is a ford transit one, which I've had for over a year now.

B) I fitted a solar panal in between the the rear speakers on the parcel shelf with some velcro underneath it, to stop it moving around when driving.

I had to cut the connector off, As the insert doesn't fit the R32 GTR cig lighter holder, Just keeps popping out. I wired the solar panel into the back of the cig lighter wire. The wire form the solar panal is long enough to hide under the back seat and car mats, Through the centre console to the lighter.

I got the solar panal from ebay for about £12. Maplan electronics also do them.

So far no flat battery off the alarm for some 6 plus months now.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok this is going to sound like the most silly question ever but does the solar charger need sunlight to charge or how does it work, can it be plugged into the mains like a trickle charger?

My alarm (i think) is draining my battery completely when it is stod up for a while and i need something to fix it??

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
if the car is on your drive a solar charger is a great idea.

if its in a garage get a trickle charger

mook

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ok this is going to sound like the most silly question ever but does the solar charger need sunlight to charge or how does it work, can it be plugged into the mains like a trickle charger?

My alarm (i think) is draining my battery completely when it is stod up for a while and i need something to fix it??

Put the solar charger on the centre armrest, and always leave your interior light on. That should do it.:chuckle:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would want to know why the battery is giving these problems and fix that problem!

Our liner has the original Battery which came on the vehicle when imported 5 years ago, never a stutter, and for all we know it could have been on the car for years before that! And we live in Spain half the year, alternating each month between here and Spain, and the car is stood at the airport here for 2 to 4 weeks at a time!

Either the battery has a naff cell, which you can determine by checking the voltage after trying to start the car, if a cell is naff it will read say 7.5 v instead of 12 v.

Or, the alternator is not doing it's job, easy one this, after it failing to start simply jumpstart the car and go for a reasonable drive, if the alternator is OK the battery should recharge sufficient to start the car after a few miles.

Of course the third alternative's a bugger to find, you may have something shorted which is pulling the battery down..

I'm assuming of course that you've checked the electrolyte level?

Aitch

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I dont run mine each week, it wont start without charging, leave it a fortnight and the voltage will be so low the battery will die, It would be interesting to meter it and see what the Clifford alarm and the tracker draws.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the Clifford 950 with every possible add on / extra, around 2K's worth in all, as my above post, never a battery problem..you need to look elsewhere i'm afraid.

Aitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts