GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only use my GTR at weekends, and when I'm away (like now when I'm on holiday) it may not get driven for 2 or 3 weeks.

Reading about short battery life - and it does look like a small battery. I am thinking about getting a battery conditioner to keep the battery charged when it's not being driven.

I am thinking about the CTEK XS 3600 - does anyone have experience of these?

As I park battery-side of the car to the wall in my garage I will either hard wire the adapter, so that it reaches over to the drivers side of the engine bay or I will charge through one of the 'cigarette lighter sockets' (if they are live when the ignition is off - I'm on holiday now so can't test....does anyone know if they are live with the ignition off?)

Any other ideas?

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
No, annoyingly (and no doubt due to the small battery), the cigarette lighter sockets are not live all the time.

Fuggles mentioned that GTROC are looking into some adaptor solutions so a battery tender can be plugged in without having to open the bonnet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've a ctek, I think either the same or the 5000, anyway mine came with another cable that can be perminently attached to the battery so that you can then just plug the ctek in.
At my optimisation service MH very kindly fitted this to the battery and tucked it away, so I can just plug it straight in when needed and the bonnet can be kept closed

thanks

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I've a ctek, I think either the same or the 5000, anyway mine came with another cable that can be perminently attached to the battery so that you can then just plug the ctek in.
At my optimisation service MH very kindly fitted this to the battery and tucked it away, so I can just plug it straight in when needed and the bonnet can be kept closed

thanks

Michael
Where does the cable come out from, i.e. where do you plug it in now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks

Michael
Good idea - i'm only 200 miles away from my optimization service.

Jon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two CTEKs - different models for different Ah's

Does anyone know the Ah for the GTR battery. I've looked in the manual, looked at the battery itself but no joy

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just fit an Optimate , the same as us bikers use ,I have three, it's easy , and really quick to fit , check it out on line , about £25.00 :0)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Just fit an Optimate , the same as us bikers use ,I have three, it's easy , and really quick to fit , check it out on line , about £25.00 :0)
I've got an Optimate, but I'm not sure a) how to fit the tiny eyelets on the wires to the battery leads and b) whether the lead will be long enough to run to anywhere useful?

So, yes, I can use the croc clips, but not sure how to wire up the semi-permanent extension lead.

Simple answer of course is to use the car regularly so that's what I've been doing! :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
the ctek 3600 comes with a connector with eyelets (and one with croc clips), its a pain to attach to the battery, hence getting MH to do it, but once done its just a case plugging it direct into the charger, will try and stick up a pic when I get a chance

cheers

Michael

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3600 is for batteries up to 200ah and the GTR battery (so my hpc tells me) is 420 Ah !!!!

Will this still work ?

Jon

·
Registered
329 Posts
The 3600 is for batteries up to 200ah and the GTR battery (so my hpc tells me) is 420 Ah !!!!

Will this still work ?

Jon
really ? could not find anything in the manual and the 3600 would normally throw a warning light if an issue. It seems to charge with no issues

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good job , managed to do mine without removing the plastic , but the earth bolt was tight to get on , even though I like things a little tight ;o) LOL :chuckle:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have an Optimate and to be honest if you have to open the bonnet & remove the battery cover it only takes another 10 seconds to connect the croc clips to the battery terminals.

To be of real value any socket needs to be fitted so that it can be accessed from inside the car or without opening the bonnet.

Rich

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I have an Optimate and to be honest if you have to open the bonnet & remove the battery cover it only takes another 10 seconds to connect the croc clips to the battery terminals.

To be of real value any socket needs to be fitted so that it can be accessed from inside the car or without opening the bonnet.

Rich
+1

Thanks for the pics Michael, but really, I don't see what the advantage is if it leads through to there!

Can the lead not go backwards and poke out of the trailing edge of the bonnet? Not that that would help me in my garage as the car is parked tight against the wall on that side...

Sod it, I'll just keep using it on a regular basis (or use the croc clips)! :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts