GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

After 10 years my original battery is dead.

Now I have 2 other cars but they are diesel versions and I know that they are more AH then petrol versions.

Would it harm to use starting cables with them or is it better to buy an accubooster?

Also heard story's that modern car's can't cope well with these Voltage peaks that might occur and that newer cars their electronics could be damaged.

I think that some people here might have had the same issue that I have now so I'm hoping for your input here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had to jump it a few times. No issues. I would think that issues are less common now there are no positive earth cars about. Just make sure you connect positive to positive and negative to negative. Give the car the a rev for a few minutes to boost the alternator rpm. Voltage should rise to 14v +/-0.2v unless the alternator is duff. This might be lower if you measure on the flat car. If it is higher than 14.5v something is wrong. So I would not try it.

Issues arise from bad earth bonding or people getting it wrong. I would always go battery to battery.

Ah is purely the capacity of the battery. Bigger is better but adds weight. Only a problem when using a smaller car to start a bigger car. It doesn't have enough cranking amps. Voltage is important to match. Don't try to start a 12v car from a 24v Lorry. Some big trucks use two 12v battery in series. So you can do it bit only if you know what your.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some alternators go bad and start boosting up to 16v or 18v. This blows electrics.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Best thing first is to replace the battery, it's the same battery as a Nissan micra cheap as chips, but as a one you can use jump leads off another vehicle to get it started until you replace the battery. Best advice is don't start the other vehicle this way your voltage will remain lower and should be enough to start your car without overboosting the electrics with higher voltage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best thing first is to replace the battery, it's the same battery as a Nissan micra cheap as chips, but as a one you can use jump leads off another vehicle to get it started until you replace the battery. Best advice is don't start the other vehicle this way your voltage will remain lower and should be enough to start your car without overboosting the electrics with higher voltage.
Hey Takamo,

So your saying I just connect the battery's in parallel and don't start the first car? Just try to start the GT-R then? I never heard or read about this method :).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently jumped mine using the battery out of a diesel BMW X1. No issues except getting the battery out of the freaking BMW!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that is it. I have seen people doing this and it would negate the risk of poping a fuse. In practice it doesn't always have enough juice to work. Worth a try.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Hey Takamo,

So your saying I just connect the battery's in parallel and don't start the first car? Just try to start the GT-R then? I never heard or read about this method :).
That's correct, by starting the other car you'll be increasing the voltage which you don't want to do if possible as this is what can blow fuses and put modules into safe mode. Gtr's are fairly good when it comes to jump start in genral but to be 100% safe than sorry don't start the other vehicle and 12v is more than ample power to start the gtr.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!

I've just successfully started the GT-R again.

Now in 2 days I have my yearly maintenance so they can check it all and hopefully I'm set for another 10 year.

What frustrates me is that last year not the years before they didn't check my battery else they would have seen this one coming not?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Thanks all!

Now in 2 days I have my yearly maintenance so they can check it all and hopefully I'm set for another 10 year.

What frustrates me is that last year not the years before they didn't check my battery else they would have seen this one coming not?
Who do you think they employ to service your GTR?

Mystic Meg?!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least a certified person I hope.
Are there not certificates hanging on the wall at your stealership, mine has at least :).

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Thanks all!

The battery may show when tested that it's perfectly fine today and then if left unused for a long period it can kill the cells so your talking about it being checked last year which as much as I don't like the stealers its not there fault... Unfortunately its yours for not maintaining the battery power level by either using the car or trickle charging it. If your not going to be using the car regularly invest in a ctek trickle charger... Fantastic bit of kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I don't use my car for longer then 1 week, rest assured I have it connected to my CTEK trickle charger. Else the battery is dead within 3 weeks due to satellite security system.

I read that a battery has a lifespan of a year or 5 so doing 10 with it is oké for me.
Best to happen now when your at home then on a holiday or day out :).

·
Registered
139 Posts
10 years on original battery is very good.
No doubt the utilization of CTEK-charger has helped prolong the lifespan.
I also warmly recommend using CTEK. As an option if you don't have a power outlet nearby is to simply disconnect the battery when the car is left for longer periods of time.
You can always open the car door using your physical key, pop the hood and re-connect the battery.
I actually have an "on/off" switch on my ground-cable for this very reason. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The damage accumulates with every flat discharge. After about 14 deep cycles and a normal battery is dead. No way to tell unless you do a capacity test which probably does more damage than it's worth. +1 on the trickle charger.

Anyone know what cable is that will run from the battery to the front grill? I have Seen some cars with it. Also a good place to hide it is behind the tow hook cap.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
At least a certified person I hope.
Are there not certificates hanging on the wall at your stealership, mine has at least :).
Ask one of the techs with the certificates how to change the pump in the trans and how long it takes, he wont have a clue, thats how certified he is :double-finger:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So my new battery is installed and cleaned the car before noon.

Now I got it hooked up with my CTEK MSX 5.0 and I noticed some thing I never heard before. When it's at stage 3 and 4 I hear a boiling noise and see some air bubbles escape from the top of the battery.

Now does this means that my new battery is not MF and is a flooded acid battery? And do I need to fill it up from time to time with distilled water? My previous battery never made that sound nor did I have to look after it during the 9 years it served me.

Here is a picture:

·
Registered
44 Posts
That looks like a lead acid battery the tec should take care of topping it up I should think. If not what are we paying them for?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts