GTR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now my CTEK has reached step 7 Float, and I've measured a voltage of 13.6V.
But when I put my ear next to the battery I still hear a sparkling sound like that of a glass of Cola.

Is this normal cause I thought that only during the charging state with +14V that the boiling sound was normal, and that with lower voltage and current the sound should be lesser normally.

Will it not boil my battery dry in a few weeks or months like this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is normal to fizz when charging. Just the natural mechanism for preventing over charge.

Is the battery getting hot? Is it really loud or violent? Do you know the current draw? If it's high or the battery is getting hot, the battery could be damaged. The charger could also be faulty.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi A1ex,

Thanks for your reply and putting my mind to a rest.

When I woke up this morning the battery was not hot. The sparkling noise it makes I only hear it when I put my ear next to the battery. From 1 meter away I only hear it when it's on stage 3 or 4 ( when the voltage is higher then on stage 7 - float ).

How can I measure the current draw? Also my CTEK is just like my battery brand new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chances are its fine. I wouldn't bother. Its not getting hot. Interpritation of charge current can be subjective without knowing the intricacies of the CTEK.

Since you asked. Any multimeter will mesure current but you have to connect it right. Get it wrong and you will short out the battery. Put the meter in 10A mode and connect one meter lead to your charger black lead. The other meter lead to the terminal that you would have connected the black charger lead to. Read off the value after a minute or two.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hi,

An update here and it's not good.

So a short power outage here and my CTEK charger was idle on stage 8, maintenance.
But I noticed that after the power restore that my charger is stuck on stage 1 desulfasion.
After I measured that there was only 11.86V on the battery I knew that at was gonna start bad, and so it did.
After a few hick up it started but not as you expect from a new battery that is only 6 months old and that has been on a CTEK MXS 5.0 that whole time since I stored it for the winter months.

Now I read that those CTEK chargers can be to intelligent so I used some battery power and reconnected my CTEK and now it went onwards to stage 2,3,4 and after a while to stage 5.
At stage 5 the red ! error led came on. Now from the manual I see that my battery is not holding it's voltage and I should replace it.

This would normally be warranty not since it's only 6 months old. And I told my garage like I told you guys here that it seems that my battery is boiling off.
When I look at the hole to see the waterlevel it's not the same as it was 6 months ago, so I suspect that all my water is boil up by the CTEK charger.

Both CTEK and my garage told me it was fine and that they supplied my with a maintenance free battery. Now the battery that was stock with my car lived for 10 years, and now this one is boiled up after less then 6. I mean did my HPC know or even installed the right battery?

After I switched my CTEK charger onto my other car it starts just fine and is now currenlty doing so.

So the only thing now I can do is to refill the holes with distilled water and it should charge back to normal? but again it will boil off like it did when I had it freshly installed and so I'm back at the start, I want this piece of crap battery out of my car.

What is a good battery? In the past when I was with tuning and audio guys I heard positive thing about Optima yellow top battery's?

Are those still good and which one would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
The Optima yellow top is a great battery. Pricey but has excellent charge retention and being an AGM type deep cycling. It performs far better than the pure numbers suggest (CCA etc) and they've been around for decades. Used to fit these in competition car hifi systems when ICE was a big thing. They have the ability to fully discharge and then recharge 100's of time so are built tough.

I've also used the Halfords batteries before. OK'ish cranking ability but they've always died on the cars I don't use much (if they spend time in storage etc). BUT.....the 3 or 5 (for silver) year guarantee on them means you can just go back to Halfords and they replace it when knackered, so good value in that respect.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So CTEK says that during the 7th stage of the charging process that a voltage of 13.6V is delivered. This is not high enough to boil the battery they said.
But when I put my ear next to my battery I hear it sparkling so something is not right.
I also don't wanna put in another battery and then come to the conclusion that the new battery also boils so atm I'm a bit confused now what is the best solution.
My car came in may 2010 with a battery from Japan, and this battery lasted foir 9 years!!! Never ever have I heard it sparkling or had I fill it again with water.

My current battery can I refill it with demineralized or distilled water to make sure I can revive it a bit so it holds the voltage again? Knowing that again this will eventually boil up.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Personally I think it's your battery, a Nissan micra battery is exactly the same as the Gtr, around £40 from the dealers or cheaper from normal car spares shops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So today I had contact with my dealer and they suspect its the CTEK charger.
It's on stage 7 now FLOAT so 13.6V all the time and I still hear my battery sparkling now. CTEK said that 13.6V will NEVER make a battery sparkling. So they both blame the other.
I said the fact that it's the same battery but they reply back to me with it's oké, the GTR doesn't need a larger battery cause it's not a 3.0L diesel engine. And the battery they put in my car now was official Nissan and made for the GTR.

Or it's indeed the new CTEK charger that is the culprit or it's the battery.

Today though I refilled all 6 holes with 50ml water, so a total of 300ml water went in my battery that has vaporized since 6 months. While my previous battery lasted for 9 years witouth a single water drop refill from me.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
If your dealer is saying its a genuine Nissan battery, and you've had it less than 12 months, then it should be under warranty and they (Nissan) should simply replace it. Clearly the battery is faulty - whether the CTEK is also faulty as well. Definitely get the battery replaced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad to see the battery lasted 10years, changed over my fathers also after 10years to a bosch out of my friends 911 into a Ford Mondeo mk4 tdi worked a treat. I swapped over to a Yuasa battery at Litchfield the other year also using a ctek mxs7 trickle charger.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Today I've tested my old CTEK XS 3600 which served my previous battery for 9 years.
Whats happens is that now 14.4V os over my battery but it's sparkling furious now.
So no way it's the fault of any charger now, must be the battery then.
Faulty probably, still hard to explain why it does that the sparkling, it shouldn't even be sparkling at 14.4V cause that's the alternator voltage.
So just by riding alone I'm now boiling my battery dry lol.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts