GTR Forum banner

Battery Life

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  AnEvoGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys

After a bit of advice...

I'm looking to purchase a gt-r in the next month or so and have just heard from a previous owner that battery life can be an issue. If the car isn't driven for a week or so the battery dies. Then its a case of a new and expensive purchase and the car has to relearn settings, which is a hassle.

Is this actually correct?

Cheers!!:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look into that. I don't mind spending a couple of hundred for peace of mind. :)

The car will be parked on the road so no chance of connecting to a charger. I would prefer to have it on the drive but it just won't fit.

#6 · (Edited)
Guys,

My GTR is MY 09...so my battery is ca 4,5 years old now...
I replaced it yesterday with Yellow Top...
But the old battery was still working, I just want to have peace of mind...
I was not driving the car during winters, and I occasionally (every 2 weeks) connected it to the OLD battery charger (when I say old, I mean OLD, like 20-30 years, it is my father's charger...)
My old battery even got completely dead once (car didn't want to start, I recharged and ressurected the battery then :) )...added some distilled water, cause some cells were half empty then...
So, I think that maintaining a GTR battery is not rocket science... :D and that Ctek charger is a bit of a marketing too...

#8 ·
With an optima I can drive mine every two weeks without a problem - so I do.

I have higher than average current drains on my car too.

The optima is probably the solution.

You could consider a remote start too. Brian (BDL99) is working on a very simple one for the UK cars right now. Will cost you at least few hundred but means you can just click the lock button three times when you are concerned the battery might be low and idle the car for 10 mins to charge without leaving your living room.

I have the iphone remote start module on mine which comes with gps tracking and fault code emailing. I get an email from the car when the battery is low.

#11 ·
My car/battery is 3.5 years old and still going strong and i can leave it for a 7-10 days and it starts no problem.
However the car is in the garage mostly between nov and march on a ctek trickle charger.
They only cost £50, well worth it

#12 ·
A little bit off topic, but still connected to this...
When I removed the battery, everything on the dashboard computer was reset (lighting, trip A&B, service intervals (oil, filter), shift point warning etc...).
As I have COBB, I noticed that the MAP went from SLOT 2 (high boost) to SLOT 0 (eco mode)...
I connected the COBB AP and reset the TCM touch points to 0 just to be sure...
Should I do gear realearn or Battery removing has no effect on this?

#16 ·
Mine is almost 5 years old and I have never had a problem.

If I leave it for more than 4 weeks I put on a charger for peace of mind but under 4 weeks, never had a flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.