GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my battery finally let go last night outside my local sainsburys express, just popped in for some bits, came out tried to start and just a half hearted turn of the starter then nothing, Marvellous !!!
Called the AA , they couldn't come for an hour which would have meant I'd be sat there till about 10.30.
So rang a mate with transit and jump leads and all sorted, very amusing for the locals lol.
Cars still under warranty so do I ask for a new battery or is there a good alternative.
Cheers all.
Dave.

·
R35 Section manager
11,256 Posts
You should be able to get one under warrenty anyway as most batteries will have 3 years warrenty on them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big thanks to John at middlehurst, he saw my post this morning and rang me to arrange pick up of my car.
Top service once again, cheers guys.
Dave.

·
Registered
888 Posts
That's great service by John!!! Have to say he was really helpful when I purchased my R35! Top bloke!

On this note, I think mine might be the original battery! So it's about 3 1/2 years old now!
Is there anyway I can tell, a certain make say??

I have it conditioning on a CTEK mss 5.0 but have concerns, as i'll be doing a Euro run next month!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Modern car batteries seem to be ok up to a certain point but the performance tends to fall off really quickly, unlike earlier batteries from years ago which used to cling on for dear life until they wouldn't accept charge.
Modern batteries need frequent use to get the best from them, but I think the use of a conditioner is definitely the way to go if the car is only used occasionally.
I think I'll be investing in one very soon.
Regarding your battery at 3 1/2 years old it may be worth getting it checked out at the very least, or replace it for total peace of mind.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Cheers, think i'll see how it goes!
I'll carry some jump leads to Germany...just in case!! But i'll be getting a new one when it comes out in the spring for the next season. Optima yellow top!

Imprezas have some sort of intelligent alternator, that only charges if it has a power drain. So always had to run with the side lights on, so it'd charge up on the run.
I had a couple of batteries on warranty, but they replaced them with the same OE crap & ended up getting a Bosch Silver S5 & never had any more issues after that!

I take it the R35 doesn't need this power drain when in use?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im on my second battery now and that gave up on me yesterday, only bought that one about 18 months ago from Nissan. Trickle charged it overnight and had barely enough power to start the car. Thinking of getting a Ctek to condition it, anyone had much luck with one of these?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good call on the jump leads mate. You don't realise how something so simple can get you out of a fix.
Have a good trip mate.
Cheers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im on my second battery now and that gave up on me yesterday, only bought that one about 18 months ago from Nissan. Trickle charged it overnight and had barely enough power to start the car. Thinking of getting a Ctek to condition it, anyone had much luck with one of these?
Crikey 18 months is rubbish for a car battery. If its on its way out I'm not sure a conditioner will help.
Am I right in thinking you have to use a conditioner right from the start to extend your battery life.

·
R35 Section manager
11,256 Posts
Thinking of getting a Ctek to condition it, anyone had much luck with one of these?

Great move mate.
Had my Ctek on my 33 and now my 35 and it has never let me down. Well worth the £30-35 outlay:chuckle:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Crikey 18 months is rubbish for a car battery. If its on its way out I'm not sure a conditioner will help.
Am I right in thinking you have to use a conditioner right from the start to extend your battery life.
Yes its not good is it. Tempted to take it back and see what they say, i wont keep my hopes up though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great move mate.
Had my Ctek on my 33 and now my 35 and it has never let me down. Well worth the £30-35 outlay:chuckle:
Thanks Treg. I think i will get one ordered!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update, car delivered back to me from middlehurst complete with new battery.
Absolutely fab service once again.
Special thanks to John and Steve, top lads.
Cheers
Dave.

·
R35 Section manager
11,256 Posts
Get that Ctek ordered now mate so you have it for the winter

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
18 Months is bad. Not sure what make battery is fitted as standard to my BMW, purchased new in Sept 2007, still going... although that's probably just jinxed that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts