GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a bit of a problem with the battery running flat on my car. I replaced the battery recently as this seemed to be the cause of the problem. However I went to start the car this morning and the battery was completely dead again! The car is only being used perhaps 2-3 times a week with the odd long run mixed in with the usual shorter hops. When I take the car out for a longer run, this seems to charge the battery enough to keep it going for a couple of days, which suggests that the altenator is ok?

Any suggestions on what the problem could be, I am thinking it may be the altenator, but not sure?

If so, how much does a new altenator cost and where is the best place to pick one up, also is this something I could fit myself fairly easily, I am not the most technically adept, but can at least hold a spanner.:shy:

The car is a '94 R32 GTR.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Small tired old battery, damp air, alarm drain and short journeys.
Flat batteries and R32's go hand in hand.

I use an Airflow battery conditioner switched on for 48 hours once a week to keep my battery topped up.
Other option is one of these solar chargers on the rear parcel shelf or on the garage roof.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Does your car have a tracker?
If so then this could also drain your battery very quickly.
Dont worry to much, your definately with the majority on here.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Mine slowly runs down over a number of days as well but if you think its going down too quick, a few possibilities of cause could be tracker (as previously mentioned), alarm/immobiliser, amps (if you have any), check all interior lights are definately off. Failing that it'll just be a case of searching around....electrical faults can be great fun:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Put a multimeter on the battery when its not running, should be reading between 12.2-12.8v if the battery is OK.
Put it back on when its not running and it should read about 13.5v to see if its getting charged by the alternator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try checking the rear of the two connections in the main fuse / relay box under the bonnet this is the one coming from the battery. Mine was loose and I had the same problem. Remove clean and refit tight now all OK.

Car R33 GTST

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
To check for drain you can remove the positive terminal and put a current meter from the battery to the wire, See what sort of current draw you have, The next job if you have a high reading is to start unplugging stuff to see whats causing it.

Like the chaps here say though, seems common with all the alarms and things, Hows about just keeping a second battery and swapping them between the car and charger each time ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
^^^ Exactly what I do :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts