GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do a battery relocation to the trunk, will be picking up a optima red top battery and will custom fabricate a metal box to mount it in..

but i wanted to ask a few questions first:
#1 where do people get the wiring kits for it?
#2 what size gauge wire is best to use for the positive? 0? 00? 1?
#3 should i fuse the wire 6 inches from the battery? and how many amp fuse is best to use?
#4 for the negative can i ground the main engine area negative to the chassis and then ground the battery terminal negative to the chassis at the rear? or is it just better to run another wire for the negative same as positive?
#4 do i need to run a battery cut-off switch? if so should i do it using a relay?

i really appreciate the help guys.

thanks,

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Looking to do a battery relocation to the trunk, will be picking up a optima red top battery and will custom fabricate a metal box to mount it in..

but i wanted to ask a few questions first:
#1 where do people get the wiring kits for it?
#2 what size gauge wire is best to use for the positive? 0? 00? 1?
#3 should i fuse the wire 6 inches from the battery? and how many amp fuse is best to use?
#4 for the negative can i ground the main engine area negative to the chassis and then ground the battery terminal negative to the chassis at the rear? or is it just better to run another wire for the negative same as positive?
#4 do i need to run a battery cut-off switch? if so should i do it using a relay?

i really appreciate the help guys.

thanks,
1 made up my own kit
2 I would suggest 25mm2 wire
3 I assume you mean the fusible link, I guessed it was 30amp but I've had mine blow (one) so am now running 40amp
4 yes you can just run grounds to the chassis
5 battery cut off isn't a bad idea, I would suggest fusing the connection too. I went for a slightly smaller fuse than the upper limit of the cable - 150amp from memory

This may be of interest - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/93421-my-bnr32-6.html#post1116324

I should add I suggest running the cable through the cabin. You can run it under the car (I ran mine where the HICAS pipework would have been) but it's more hassle than in the car and has the potential to be damaged easier. It's the one thing I change if I was doing the same job again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Cris,

What make is your 300A Junction box and fusable link you fitted to the front of your car from your battery positive?? Also where did you get your battery box from?? I need to do the same for my R32 GTR!!

Cheers

Andy

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Cris,

What make is your 300A Junction box and fusable link you fitted to the front of your car from your battery positive?? Also where did you get your battery box from?? I need to do the same for my R32 GTR!!

Cheers

Andy
Junction Box is this one - VWP - battery connectors

Fuse box to replace fusible link (the splash proof one) - VWP - fuse holders 1

Battery box came from fleabay. I forget where. I wanted a huge battery so ended up buying one made for marine/caravan use. Was about £10-15 from memory.

NB no battery drain problems now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts