GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searching for these owners with this ECU in particular in the net to get a wide review wasn't positive, so here is why I'm posting this here and hopefully I can get a more direct asnwer/opinions.

Between them there are some good difference, from the price up to the functions/features. Price difference is no problem for me between these two alternative so I won't put that in consideration, however what I really want to know what ECU would be easier to tune (seems like the Haltech software is way easier/tuner friendly and newer tools to optimize the tune) between these two ECU specially for the cold starts, A/C compensation, stop & go at the traffic and stop lights, going "up hill" climbing certain roads with decent angle , etc etc...I think you guys know what I mean, retain "reliability" and "driveability" from the standar functions of the OEM ecu or from what I heared, like the A-PFC does.

I had in the past a E11v2 in my ex BMW e30 turboed engine, it did had a hickup in the RPM (certain rpms) but it didn't bother me, but the tune in cold starts, idle and stop & go at the stop lights, etc was a nightmare. I could tune each perfectly, and the next day/week the car/engine will change it's behavior totally getting a erratic idle, stall engine, horrible cold starts, etc etc.

So having this past experience, well with a older version of a Haltech, makes me wonder if going this route again, if I will suffer from this again.

MY car is a 95' R33 GT-R which I'm hoping to get arround 550-600 max crank HP in the near future with the right parts/rebuild, yet have a friendly street car which make me want to use it even as a daily car...which the BMW wasn't at the end for certain mods and most important, the tunning issues I had.

One thing I don't know if the Haltech Platinum Pro Plug In ecu does support the knock sensor of the stock setup? Anyone knows this?

Anyways, hope I can get positive opinions, reviews from these two ECUs and help me decide what route take. Yes, some Haltech tuners available here in my city, however, tune for peak power is easy, but tune the parameters I mentioned above plus extracting every power figure from the whole power band, is different story and I really don't know if these tunners locally are capable of that....

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I would have the Haltech all day long, the P-FC is not a bad ECU......but it's old technology, and the Haltech is light years ahead.
Another one to consider is the Link G4+/ViPec Plug-In's, there are plenty of tuners around for those too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would recommend a basic link g4 or vi-pec. I would personally probably buy a maxxecu a Swedish made so I don't know how much info it's out there about it. There's a vi-pec for sale in the trade section.
But from those two haltech

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is ZERO support for ViPec here and never heared from that Swedish ECU ( I would stay out of those two ECU I think) Seems the Haltech has cylinder fuel trim which is nice.

I just wanted from members with direct experience with the Haltechor the Power FC for the above comments/questions (Coldt starts, A/C compensation, etc etc) as that is my major target to get it well working.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about Link ECU's over there? ..... Where is there?

So does the Link and ViPec
The same I would say, probably almost zero support as well. I remember back in 2003 year there was a known guy running a Link ECU in his Subaru GT (standalone) and other couple of SUbaru owners running the Ecu Link I think was called, the little display that you could mount in the center of the dash for the newer STi back then (not sure if wa s a piggy back). But anyways, nowdays, all street/track cars here (btw I'm in Peru) run Haltech mostly.

Like I said I had in the past Haltech and didn't like the little points I mentioned, howevrr I do believe that ECU was way better suited for the RB engine rather than my old BMW converted turbo engine.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No question about it, the haltech is way better than a pfc.
Although in my opinion if the mapper is is good he shouldn't have any issues at all tuning a different ecu aswell.
Sure something like autronic might take a bit longer if you've never seen it before but he should still be able to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
$1600 is not a bad price, I might get myself one lot cheaper than the Link that are sold here for £1500-1600.
1500 pounds for a Link?
We can (and do) send them to the UK for close to $1000 pounds
Check out NZEFI website, they have an online shop and you can pay via PayPal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.