GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am on the marked for new wheels to my R32 GTR, and have chosen to get a set of 18" BBS-LM.
I see that orginal wheels can be hard and expensive to get my hands and considering to buy some copys, but what are the major concerns i have will they handle the abuse of a track car? The other thing is the weight, is there a big diffrence?

Thanks
Ole C

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
BBS wheels tend to be pretty heavy (for forged wheels). I would guess that their they are inefficiently made or (more likely) they are stronger than the average wheel. Is the extra strength worthwhile? I'd say no given that Volks/Rays are lighter like for like and don't fall apart all the time but I'm sure you can make your own mind up.

I'd imagine that track wheels will get a bashing so on that basis I'd have the BBS for the road and some cheaper wheels for the track.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It comes down to whether or not you can afford the BBS and want to pay for them over a cheaper copy. The copy will be ok, won't be made to the standard of BBS but won't melt if left in the sun. Copy's generally weigh more than the original forged wheel they are based on.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hi

I am on the marked for new wheels to my R32 GTR, and have chosen to get a set of 18" BBS-LM.
I see that orginal wheels can be hard and expensive to get my hands and considering to buy some copys, but what are the major concerns i have will they handle the abuse of a track car? The other thing is the weight, is there a big diffrence?

Thanks
Ole C
I had some weights for the Varrstoen LM replicas a while ago and they were around 1.5 kg heavier a wheel than the LM's and they're not a 2 piece split rim like the BBS LM's. The wheel bolts screw into holes in the wheel.

Personally I have a set of LM's but I wouldn't have any qualms about buying the Varrstoen replicas as a road or track wheel as a they're around £250 a wheel compared to the £450-£550 per wheel for secondhand LM's and they're also much more available.

In summary...

Varrstoen - Smash one. Chuck them away. Get another within a couple of weeks.
BBS LM - Smash one. Cry a lot. Try frantically to get another one. Get bent over.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with mambastu, it would break my heart to break a org bbs-lm and would probably have to buy a new set if its difficult to get the one only.
Is it easy to spot a Varrstoen wheel from another reprod?
And last to anyone know how many kg are they?

Thanks for the fast answers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have varrstoen lm replicas, 11x19 with 275/30 tires, weight was 24.7kg, tire weight is 12.69kg so rim weight is about 12kg. If you are buying 10x18 it's not so heavy.

my old wheels was 9.5x17 nismo lmgt4 with half worn tires and they were quite light, about 17.5kg. When i put heavier wheels on my car It feels like i lose 50hp.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Just found the email I had from Varrstoen with wheel weights on it.

Varrstoen ES 1 18 x 9.5 23lbs or 10.42 kg
Varrstoen ES 1 18 x 10.5 25lbs or 11.3 kg

BBS LM 18 x 10 21lbs or 9.5 kg

Obvious visual difference between a BBS LM and a Varrstoen ES1 (apart from the centre cap) is that the bolts on the Silver/Gold LM's tend to be black originally whereas the Varrstoens are a shiny finish and the BBS's have BBS in small writing on the front face.

Cheers

Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts