GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I feel bad asking but I couldn't find anything solid in the search or on Google. I just picked up a set of R33 OEM rear pods/spats (whatever you want to call them. They're called rear undergaurds here in Japan). When I went to install them, the two screws near the tire are no problem, but the screw in the rear is a bit funky as shown. Do I need to drill a hole in my rear bumper to make this work or am I just totally being a fool and not able to figure it out. My original bumper did not have pods/spats, it just had splash guards. Photos include the hardware, original bumper and original bumper with pod/spat in place but not fitted. I did find on here someone just simply taped the pods place but since I was able to get the OEM ones I thought I would fit it properly.

Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
So the rear spats were a optional extra from the factory. It looks like your R33 did not have this option and hence you only had the water splash guards.

You need to fit them, align everything then drill 2 small holes through your bumper, place the 'L' bracket on the inside of the bumper (I recommend bonding it) and then button up with the self tapping screws

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, that does help! Thank you so much. I went to Nissan here in Japan and they didn't even know for sure but they eventually found someone who knew and confirmed what you said. I ended up fitting them without drilling the whole and just using tape and so far so good but if the tape won't hold in the rear then i will have to drill the wholes in the bumper. Car sure does look better with the rear spats! Thanks man!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Nice post a before/after picture! OEM spats are like gold dust!

I recommend that you use the OEM screw as well as the tape, you don't risk it falling loose leading to a gap and then at high speed the air speed would potentially rip it off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man yeah they're crazy expensive even here in Japan. I paid waaaay too much but they keep going up. They're like $800USD for a pair with no hardware and $1000+ USD with hardware. I went to Nissan Prince in Setagaya, Tokyo, and they did say Nissan will make more rear pods in the future but they didn't know when for sure.

And I have the front two screws in and tape so I don't think they'd fall off but maybe start wobbling around in the rear around the bumper towards the exhaust tip (for the passenger side at least). I'm gonna monitor them and if the tape pops off I will do the OEM screw! Just hate putting holes in my bumper.... Here's some pictures after!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Damn. That looks so clean and nothing better than OEM fitment! Very nice looking 33 ;)!

If I remember correctly I sold my OEM rear spats a couple of years ago at 350$!

Do you have a build thread for your 33? I'd like to follow the updates!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. That looks so clean and nothing better than OEM fitment! Very nice looking 33 ;)!

If I remember correctly I sold my OEM rear spats a couple of years ago at 350$!

Do you have a build thread for your 33? I'd like to follow the updates!
Sorry for my late reply! I do not have a build thread, hmmm maybe I should start one being here in Japan. If I do, i will definitely let you know. Thank you very much as well and agree OEM fitment is the way to go! I wish I bought your old spats lol.

They look fantastic, and you may as well add that bolt cuz you should never take them off. haha

Great looking car.
Lol thanks man. I probably should just do the bolt. The real test is if the tape will hold after a track day.

What i'd really like to find is an extra 18x10.5 matte black LMGT4 wheel in case I mess one of mine up. Bummer they don't make them anymore though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts