GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be gentle….
Back in the day, I had an R33GTR (to about 450HP) and then an R35 at the same time for a while I now have a new project a Datsun S30 280Z (240/260Z in the UK) and I’m putting an RB25 Neo engine (out of a 2-wheel auto Stagea) in with a 370Z 6 speed gearbox. I have the engine, gearbox and adapter plate etc but I need help on the latest stuff for the engine, ECU, mapper and wiring I have so far these bits for the engine

RB26 throttles and intake manifold
R35 injectors
R35 coil pack and neo adapters
Rebuilt turbo with new core go to about 380BHP
RB20 fancy cam covers (OK just to look good)
FMIC and some piping

Will change the timing belt/followers, water pump

The mechanic putting it together is good but not keen on wiring up the engine, what do I really need to know is what to be plumbed in or cut out, what ECU? Do I link it to the Gearbox? What's the latest on spark plugs? Which is the best mapper today, should I buy a premade engine loom or just get it wired from scratch. Car is “down south” in Southampton so that neck of the woods is better

Things have moved on since I sold my R33 in 2010, the car is light so I'm not after maximum BHP but a smooth power curve. I'm on here every week even if I don't own a skyline or GTR

·
Registered
61 Posts
personally I'd get a pre made loom, as then that loom is for your exact engine so get an rb25 neo engine loom as then it'll be plug n play, and for ecu I'd get the power fc for the rb25 neo doesn't cost stupid money is easily mapped by pretty much anyone as they are old and everyone knows how to use them and there are 1000's of guides on how to tune them yourself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
loads of second hand looms in good nick for sale or buy new if you can't find any, I'd get the correct loom as then you have a good base to start with and can work on it easier from there

·
Registered
155 Posts
No need to link the gearbox to the ECU, unless you want boost by gear. That would just be the vehicle speed off the transmission and ratios.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
and for ecu I'd get the power fc for the rb25 neo doesn't cost stupid money is easily mapped by pretty much anyone as they are old and everyone knows how to use them and there are 1000's of guides on how to tune them yourself.
The PowerFC for the NEO/GTT is quite rare so unless you are prepared to buy from Japan direct I don't think you'll find one. Probably better off getting a Link as the price difference wont be far off, if a Nistune isn't an option that is.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
I would go with a link ECU or similar, so much more advanced than the PowerFC.

if I could give you one piece of advice from my 450bhp rb25 build it would be stick with a standard throttle body, don't be tempted to go q45 or similar large one, it just makes the throttle like a switch and difficult to control.

Simon

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes thinking on the Link, the neo has variable cam timing which this can control I'm told. I have a Stagea loom but it's a little beaten about. You can buy premade looms in the US and I travel there every other month. There is some fancy rev-matching downchange the 370 gearbox can do, not sure I need it, you can link the link to that.
Big question who to install the Link and map it? Abbey?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its been a while since I went there, who could do the wiring if I get a US loom?

I've been buying bits for a year for this car now, I have just about everything from mirrors to washers to CAC deletes, RHD dashes etc etc its costing a pretty penny

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know its a 2+2, that is what I wanted :) I have a son + wife

they look so ugly don't they..... ok the painted tyres are. glad to see things don't change on here, you are not related to a few folks on the z forum?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts