GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Whilst my car was parked on the road outside a Co-op supermarket it was hit by a delivery lorry, who drove off straight away. I didn't see it myself but it was witnessed by a few people including staff from the store.

The store manager called their transport company for me and they are due to be ringing me back this week to discuss. No doubt they will want to arrange repair through their own contacts but does anyone know what my rights are here, as I would rather not be handing my car over to any old bodyshop?

The damage is to the offside front wing so it will need a new panel. Are these generally available in the UK or will I be waiting for weeks for one to come from Japan?

Also the steering wheel snapped back into position when the steering lock disengaged so the tyre was hit as well I think (no damage to the wheel). Do I need to get the geometry checked?

Cheers all,

Alex

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I suspect there is a lot more damage done than you think, i.e. tyre, track control arms may have been bent, would get it checked properly, as you are by me there is a Nissan approved garage in Bedminster check it out mate, I really feel for you, that would make me sick if that happened to me, I would report the driver for failing to stop after a accident.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Gutted for you mate. At least you had some kind people to come forward as witnesses as that's rare now a days.

As stated mate I would get someone who knows their GT-R's to have a decent look. Good luck fella.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gutted for you mate.

It's your choice on repairer as long as 1. Your happy to use them and 2. They are vat registered.

Danny

·
R35 Section manager
11,166 Posts
I've had 2 friends who have their cars damaged by delivery lorries to supermarkets.
Both cars were parked up and the lorry drivers had no idea they had even hit the cars.

I would not let them take your car from you-you decide where the car is worked on

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
I dont understand the confusion here. Get the details of the lorry that hit you. Tell your insurers that you've been hit. Give them details of the lorry that hit you. Get the insurers to admit fault. Take it wherever you please to get repaired. You might have to foot the excess, but you can claim that back off the lorries insurers

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree with flynn, its simple let the insurances sort it out as you pay a premium for insurance so its the the job of your insurance company to sort & also supply you with a courtesy car aswell :)

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
+1 per Flynn and Letsr35 comment above, let the insurance companies sort it out. Just one word of advice if you are using one of the NHPC in Bristol, ensure to check their work ie replaced what they say they have and the quality of the paint job. A buddy of mine recently had a terrible experience which meant being without his car for over 10 weeks! Yes...10 weeks!!! (for very light front end damage)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont understand the confusion here. Get the details of the lorry that hit you. Tell your insurers that you've been hit. Give them details of the lorry that hit you. Get the insurers to admit fault. Take it wherever you please to get repaired.
The confusion is that I have never made an insurance claim before... Isn't it in my interest not to involve my insurance company? Even if it's not my fault won't my premiums go up for the next five years?

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
The lack of common sense on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

First thing you should do is tell your insurers everything thats happened. Failure to do so could invalidate a claim at a later date.

In the event of it being settled that you were not at fault, the 3rd party will pay out. It sometimes best to try and get this sorted first as you wont have to pay any excess, and you can take it to whoever you like for repair.

In a nutshell. Phone your insurers

·
Registered
861 Posts
In a nutshell. Phone your insurers[/QUOTE]

The best thing mate.... Get them to sorry it out ASAP. And as for the lorry driver you can get him done for leaving the seen of a accident..

Hope you get it sorted out soon mate...

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts

First thing you should do is tell your insurers everything thats happened. Failure to do so could invalidate a claim at a later date.

In the event of it being settled that you were not at fault, the 3rd party will pay out. It sometimes best to try and get this sorted first as you wont have to pay any excess, and you can take it to whoever you like for repair.

In a nutshell. Phone your insurers
This!!!

Plus it's completely up to you where the car is repaired, as long as they are VAT registered.

You don't have to use a third party's attempt to find a cheap place and you don't have to use the place that does cheap jobs for your insurance company either.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why thank you. However I don't believe I have demonstrated enough yet, so humour me with another question. Once I've told my insurers will my premiums go up even if the other insurance company pays?

I have reason to believe that the haulage company may just pay for it to be sorted without involving insurance as that's apparently what happened last time (seems a regular thing). Hence me questioning whether it was worth involving insurance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
normal insurance policies dont cover you in car parks.
you are at the mercy of the company whos van it was.they could turn round and say theyre not paying then you would need to go to small claims court.
it doesnt sound like they will but prepare for the worst.they could drag it on and on.

crazy when it clearly not your fault

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you are at the mercy of the company whos van it was.they could turn round and say theyre not paying then you would need to go to small claims court.
it doesnt sound like they will but prepare for the worst.they could drag it on and on.

3 years ago, my car was hit in a car park, by a woman reversing out a space, and she just went to far and hit my car. Insurance companies proceeded as normal, and her insurance paid for the repairs to my back bumper and boot.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Why thank you. However I don't believe I have demonstrated enough yet, so humour me with another question. Once I've told my insurers will my premiums go up even if the other insurance company pays?

I have reason to believe that the haulage company may just pay for it to be sorted without involving insurance as that's apparently what happened last time (seems a regular thing). Hence me questioning whether it was worth involving insurance.
I don't know, but it shouldn't. Whether it does or doesn't isn't a factor here. You need to tell your insurers or they can refuse to pay out. You need your insurers to chase the 3rd party to get them to admit fault.

Or don't bother....leave it for a while, then when no one pays out and your stuck without your car, phone your insurers then, and they'll ask you why didn't you notify them when it happened. They'll also tell you to go away.

Up to you.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts

Had prangs in car parks and never had any issues myself.
So I believe you may be wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the haulage company doesnt involve there insurance company as they probably have a large excess so viable for them to settle it as they will have to pay there excess & then the premium will rise as for you your policy shouldnt rise as its not your fault, either the haulage company should deal with your insurance or there insurer will. you need to inform your insurance company as dont hold me to this but im sure you are obliged to inform your insurance company of any accident within 48hrs of it occuring. hope this helps

·
Banned
19 Posts
GlastoVeteran, even if it's not your fault and all costs are claimed from the other insurer (which can take a long time depending on if they dispute it or not) then your Ins will still go up, but only very slightly.

Depends on your Insurance provider tbh.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts