GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Vendor
3,004 Posts
If needed, we can perform the repairs in our bodyshop and we have OEM panels in stock ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks chaps, appreciate all of the advice. Seems a pretty unanimous vote that I need to tell the insurers so I will do that. I just thought if it could all be sorted without them knowing then it would save my insurance going up for no good reason.

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
I think the small risk your insurance may go up slightly the lesser of the two evils, you don't want a pony repair or the firm to give you weeks of grief and not pay up.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
yes it will be recorded either way and your insurance will go up.

its gets recorded as an 'incident not at fault' or 'Incident at fault' was told by admiral last week.

for this reason i will be trying to claim back losses for my insurance premium going up as well for the next 5 years.

thank god it was only a scrape to my Audi a3 run about.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
yes it will be recorded either way and your insurance will go up.

its gets recorded as an 'incident not at fault' or 'Incident at fault' was told by admiral last week.

for this reason i will be trying to claim back losses for my insurance premium going up as well for the next 5 years.

thank god it was only a scrape to my Audi a3 run about.
Insurers are interested in your claims history, there'll be no claim here against your insurance this will all be against the lorry's insurance.

Most businesses self-insure with a stop loss policy with a huge excess to basically cover injury, etc.

Cats not covered in case parks- where's that in your policy document? I think you're confusing police involvement and private property.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sorry to see that ... Hopefully an easy fix for you!!

Bad news you'll have to declare a non fault claim which will affect premium wether you go though insurance or not with most companies... Hopefully it's hassle free for you... Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Sorry to see that ... Hopefully an easy fix for you!!

Bad news you'll have to declare a non fault claim which will affect premium wether you go though insurance or not with most companies... Hopefully it's hassle free for you... Good luck
This isn't a no fault claim, your insurance will only be effected if your insurance Co is unable to recover the monies from the offending driver.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well I'm with your way of thinking GlastoVet, I've never claimed on my insurance either and my first step in your situation would be to speak to the lorry driver's boss and get some clear answers. If they agreed to pay the bill for having the work done at a repairer of my choice then that would be good enough for me.

I recently had a (slightly) similar experience, in that following a puncture the flat bed recovery truck driver damaged my splitter when loading the vehicle. I spoke to the firm the next morning and they wanted to keep it quiet so as not to get a black mark. I got a quote for 1.5k for the splitter plus 2 hours fitting and they paid the NHPC directly before the job was done.

The trouble with telling your insurance company is, well, I just don't trust them not to load you next year. For such a trivial job I wouldn't bother. But what a fkin pain being hit is!

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
You need to notify your own insurance company in the event of an accident. You can tell them the details and that's it. Just for noticifaction so they know aboutit. You can tell them you don't want them to pursue a claim until further notice. It will go on your file, and that's it. Nothing more.

If you don't tell them, then try and make a claim later, they will tell to you go away.

Take the advice or don't, I'm not arsed, but that's what you should do if you want to cover all eventualities.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
As flyn said... No biggie main thing is no one was hurt, that's what insurance is for.... Give it to main dealers to get it sorted they have to conform to a certain standards, and your within your rites to choose who repairs your car and yourl receive a courtesy vehicle whilst yours is being repaired..... Hope it goes well fella

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It's important to note that you have a no claim bonus, not a no blame bonus.

Where it can get awkward is when re-insuring your car, you have to declare your claims.

Had a guy drive into me a couple of years ago, got him to sign a note confirming he was to blame for the accident, then set about claiming directly from his insurance, I got a like for like car from them while mine was being repaired.

Told my insurance about it while I was sorting it out myself, still on their records though, even if I didn't claim through them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Call Accident Exchange and rape them for everything.
My previous car was rear ended and I contacted them. They will deal with everything for you... no headaches. They will tell you just to inform your insurance company and tell them that they are dealing with it. Courtesy car straight away.. you might get something like an M3 or Merc SL

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yeah, if they're really good they'll tell you how to claim for whiplash too even though you weren't in the car at the time..

·
Administrator
31,852 Posts
This isn't a no fault claim, your insurance will only be effected if your insurance Co is unable to recover the monies from the offending driver.
Nope. Statistically, even when involved in a no-claim incident, a driver is more likely to have another claim shortly after. A no fault claim WILL affect your policy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What are the official timescales for reporting an incident to your insurance company? A day, a week, a month? I have a feeling you usually have 30 days...but I may be wrong

Personally I would find out the deadline for telling the insurance and before the deadline I would try to pursue a settlement from the haulage company without involving the insurance. If the haulage company start to mess you around then call the insurance and go via that route...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Personally I would find out the deadline for telling the insurance and before the deadline I would try to pursue a settlement from the haulage company without involving the insurance. If the haulage company start to mess you around then call the insurance and go via that route...
That was exactly my strategy...

What are the official timescales for reporting an incident to your insurance company? A day, a week, a month? I have a feeling you usually have 30 days...but I may be wrong
With my insurers it's 48 hours and I'm technically beyond that now. I figured a few hours won't make a world of difference whilst I still decide what to do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nope. Statistically, even when involved in a no-claim incident, a driver is more likely to have another claim shortly after. A no fault claim WILL affect your policy.
Mook is dead right. I've done two quotes for comparison and I'll be looking at about an extra £70 per month for 5 years = £350.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Call Accident Exchange and rape them for everything.
My previous car was rear ended and I contacted them. They will deal with everything for you... no headaches. They will tell you just to inform your insurance company and tell them that they are dealing with it. Courtesy car straight away.. you might get something like an M3 or Merc SL
Cheers - might well look into them.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts