GTR Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well I'm with your way of thinking GlastoVet, I've never claimed on my insurance either and my first step in your situation would be to speak to the lorry driver's boss and get some clear answers. If they agreed to pay the bill for having the work done at a repairer of my choice then that would be good enough for me.

The trouble with telling your insurance company is, well, I just don't trust them not to load you next year. For such a trivial job I wouldn't bother. But what a fkin pain being hit is!
Glad someone understands me!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
This is why I like Sky Insurance, they take all things into consideration manually themselves and decide on a deal with you, instead of a computer working it all out.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A close friend of mine had his car hit whilst parked outside his house on renewal they raised his premium. When he asked why they said it was still pending, which after exchanging a few not so nice words about not even being present in the car they finally sorted it out. Also when he moved house which was still in the same postcode just a mile away from his previous house they charged him £175 admin fee.

·
Banned
19 Posts
A close friend of mine had his car hit whilst parked outside his house on renewal they raised his premium. When he asked why they said it was still pending, which after exchanging a few not so nice words about not even being present in the car they finally sorted it out. Also when he moved house which was still in the same postcode just a mile away from his previous house they charged him £175 admin fee.
Haha was the call centre in Delhi by any chance ?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Unlucky man, really do hope its get sorted well! That is pretty poor judgement by the courier.

A few years ago I was worried about losing my NCB due to an incident. However after discussing it in greater detail with the insurance company, they stated by simply notifying them on the issue, the premium (at least with them) would not rise. Sure enough the following year, my premium dropped by £400 :/ I wasn't one to complain, but by going through insurance puts you in a good standpoint legally too - especially if as mentioned they decide to mess you about at the last moment!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Haha was the call centre in Delhi by any chance ?
I find those call centres within India are more than happy to do a deal over the phone, I was able to get more modifications covered at a reduced rate with no admins fee! Whilst at the same time the UK based part of the company refused to cover these modifications and the Canadian side did not want to budge on price.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Speak to the lorry driver's boss and before you call him, get some prices for the job done properly at your chosen repair place then tell him that's the cost. Make sure he pays before you go ahead with the job for peace of mind.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
I find those call centres within India are more than happy to do a deal over the phone, I was able to get more modifications covered at a reduced rate with no admins fee! Whilst at the same time the UK based part of the company refused to cover these modifications and the Canadian side did not want to budge on price.
That makes no sense. All mods have to be underwritten surely

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Simple fact is (from my own experience) that if you tell your insurance company it will affect your future premiums regardless of the outcome.

I'd do what Flynn suggested and just deal with the lorry owners and have it repaired where you want. The only "rule" in these cases is you have an obligation to mitigate losses. All that means is hiring a reasonable replacement vehicle whilst yours is being repaired and effectively not taking the piss.

As for using a claims company, I cant comment on that as I've never used any of them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
GlastoVeteran, it may be too late now if you have let your insurers loose on it, but I got hit by a bus a few years ago, the damage was almost identical to your car, and this is how I did it:

I called the bus company and got their insurer’s details. I called my insurer (Admiral) and explained what had happened. I told Admiral that I was notifying them to comply with their Term & Conditions and that I would handle the claim myself unless the other party disputed it, in which case I would hand it over to them. They were fine with that.

I sent the car to Middlehurst’s bodyshop and asked them to quote for the repair. I then liaised directly with the bus company’s insurers, telling them the car will be repaired by Middlehurst and sent them a detailed description of the incident with photographs. I made clear that I just wanted my car repaired ASAP with minimum hassle and wouldn’t be trying to claim for whiplash, loss of earnings, a ridiculously priced courtesy car, etc. I also told them in a very polite way that if they were thinking of disputing it they would be going to court.

Fortunately I was dealing with somebody at the bus company’s insurers with some common sense who realised that they could do it the easy cheap way or the hard way expensive way. They quickly admitted fault and authorised the repairs within a few days. I got my car back as good as new within a few weeks. They also paid for replacement of the matt black wrap.

From bitter previous experience, doing it this way for a small claim was far easier and loads faster than getting my insurers involved and waiting for months whilst the two insurance companies battle it out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
GlastoVeteran, it may be too late now if you have let your insurers loose on it, but I got hit by a bus a few years ago, the damage was almost identical to your car, and this is how I did it:
Thanks fella - that's useful advice and probably not too late if I decide to try that approach.

I have told my insurers now (Admiral) and they said I had two options. One was a no fault service which means I don't pay any excess but I have to use one of their repairers. One of the choices in Bristol (Brin Jones) I have heard to be good and they are Porsche & Merc approved so I may go with them.

The second option they gave me was to choose my own repairer but I would have to pay the excess (£600) so I don't see any point in that.

The third option which I can probably still do is as you say deal with the lorry's insurers directly so I might explore that today. I guess it really depends on which body shop my HPC would use as that's the only other place I would take it to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It might be worth an initial chat with the lorry’s insurance company to see what they sound like. I was lucky that the bus company’s insurers used some sort of intermediary company to handle their claims who gave me a single person as a point of contact with a direct phone number. I also discovered they had authority to pay out claims up to £125,000 without referring it back to the main insurance company! Makes you wonder what size claims bus companies are used to getting!

If the lorry is from a big company they might have a similar service in place.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Thanks fella - that's useful advice and probably not too late if I decide to try that approach.

I have told my insurers now (Admiral) and they said I had two options. One was a no fault service which means I don't pay any excess but I have to use one of their repairers. One of the choices in Bristol (Brin Jones) I have heard to be good and they are Porsche & Merc approved so I may go with them.

The second option they gave me was to choose my own repairer but I would have to pay the excess (£600) so I don't see any point in that.

The third option which I can probably still do is as you say deal with the lorry's insurers directly so I might explore that today. I guess it really depends on which body shop my HPC would use as that's the only other place I would take it to.
You claim the excess back of the 3rd party. Didnt they tell you that?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It might be worth an initial chat with the lorry’s insurance company to see what they sound like. I was lucky that the bus company’s insurers used some sort of intermediary company to handle their claims who gave me a single person as a point of contact with a direct phone number. I also discovered they had authority to pay out claims up to £125,000 without referring it back to the main insurance company! Makes you wonder what size claims bus companies are used to getting!
Wise words indeed. I spoke to them this morning and they said they would happily deal with me directly but I'd need to get two quotes for the repair and they would always go with the lowest. As I'm actually not sure who I would go to anyway I said I'd get back to them.

I've been to Brin Jones this morning who are one of the repairers given to me by Albany / Helphire (Admiral's claims management companies). They had a 911 GT3 in for work amongst other exotics which was reassuring, so in all likelihood I will just let them do it which is by far the easiest route. Helphire say they'll give me a like for like replacement whilst it's in as well so all sounds good. Just checking out the terms and conditions at the moment.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
You claim the excess back of the 3rd party. Didnt they tell you that?
No they didn't actually, but to be honest I'm not sure whether it would make much difference anyway. I could say I wanted to use my HPC here in Bristol but there's no saying whether the bodyshop that they would use would be any better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for the help guys - it's a learning experience so at least I'll know what the procedure is if it ever happens again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That makes no sense. All mods have to be underwritten surely
Whatever they did it worked in my situation, but then again I can't say I'm surprised. Some of the strange things insurance companies pull baffles me at times. They probably do have a limit of what can be offered and can't just offer this that and the other. But as suspicious as it sounds, the proof was in the form they sent out detailing what was insured (I asked for confirmation, as in previous cases other insurers have mis-insured the make/model etc), one of the offending UK modifications was a Roll Cage. Sure enough I had no issues and all was done above board.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts