GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not really posted on this forum, but by way of introduction, have had an Impreza Turbo for 4+ years and love the car. However it keeps on getting the scoop stolen, or if they are not successful, it's been vandalised instead. So, as one option I've been looking at replacing it (the other is a Sport bonnet with a FMIC) with something which is less of a target. In Aberdeen particularly, the boy racers seem to have a particular liking for obtaining Impreza scoops without paying honest cash.
Have been looking at a Skyline from a local garage to me with the following spec,
+Dec '96, recently imported (no SVA yet)
+GTS 25t, 2wd, 4ws, with a claimed 300 and something bhp and 350lb/ft
+HKS Exhaust and filter, boost gauge and turbo timer
+Big wing and GTR bodykit. Deep Violet colour.
+66,000 on the clock, which I presume is km as it hasn't been converted yet.
+New stereo, Cat 2 immobliser, etc
£12, 995

Couple of questions - is this a good price? Also, for a 26yo with a clean licence and full no claims, what sort of insurance should I expect. What's the GTS like to drive? A bit different to the Scooby I know, but is it tail happy and a bit of a handful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IMHO it sounds dear... Save up another 3k and get a GTR or look elsewhere and good ones can be had at around the £8-10k mark!!!

Also I'd say that you're just as likely to get a skyline vandalised as a scooby!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think, really, it's the fixation they have on the bonnet scoop. Apart from the vandalism to that, the car is mainly left alone. Have you guys had much trouble with unwanted attention?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
+GTS 25t, 2wd, 4ws, with a claimed 300 and something bhp and 350lb/ft
+HKS Exhaust and filter, boost gauge and turbo timer
It needs more than an exhaust and filter to make that sort of power !!

I'll sell you a 1993 R33 GTS25T with Power FC, for a lot less than that.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Handling

GTS-25t handles like a charm & is surprisingly well mannered with 250bhp going down to the back only. I only had problems on damp roads, when taking off. Two or three hefty wags and then it chucks you down the road as required.

My one was only a stock 250 horse plus GT-R cat back, though. Others on this site have big hoss GTS R33's, and hopefully they'll post.

·
Registered
506 Posts
GTSt

Miles,

£12,995 is pretty expensive for a GTS. You should be looking at £10,000 or less with that kind of mileage and those mods.

As for driving, they most definitely a driver's car, easy to drive, very responsive BUT you need to respect them in the wet as they have rear wheel drive, no traction control and no ABS...the combination makes for a lot of fun!

If you're interested, mine's up for £8,000 - similar miles to the one you're looking at but with a better spec and it can be voushed for. Also, its only done 10,000 miles since its engine rebuild and upgrades.

pm me if you're interested.

Stu:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, looks interesting. But for the moment, I think I'll sit and watch these forums for a little while in order to get my knowledge up on Skylines and also to get the Scoob fixed (and MOT'd :( ), want a p/x :p. I'd better one before I get married, otherwise she'll never allow it. :D

I know that the Skyline engine is near enough unburstable, should I have anything to worry about when buying a highly tuned one?

After looking throught these forums, the figures that the guy was quoting did seem a little optimistic bearing in mind the few mods the car had done. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts