GTR Forum banner

Have you suffered the bell housing rattles?

• Yes

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 36.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yes of course I had to get the dreaded bell housing rattle, and rattle it did... I even had someone comment 'that sounds like a bag of spanners!' lol.. and NO I wasnt laughing at the time..

2 videos, ...well Audio, that I recorded to show how foooookin annoying it is! That's the sound you hear from the side of the car, the sound everyone car hear.. lovely!

NOW fixed thanks to the ACspeedtech bell housing fix.. (machined bell housing)

1 - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
2 - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thanks Nissan for the mockery I have endured :chairshot BUT the GTR's worth it....Now it's sorted! :chuckle:

chron

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you man up :chuckle: and get the downpipes done whilst you were there?
yup :chuckle: And I am loving them so far (couldnt resist the free upgrade as they *the stock front cats* where coming out anyway to do the bell housing), the sound they make at 3000rpm upwards it great! so raspy! plus the car feels more responsive as well, all gears, and feels like its spooling faster also.

We now have Russ fellows Downpipes and russ fellows y pipe non resonated, but still the stock back box... Was wanting to do some track days, but not sure if it will pass on noise??

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
**** me that sounds like a tractor..... never thought they could sound that bad! and Nissan say that was within tolerance???

I didn't have any noise at all but while my car was at Litchfields with the gear box out for circlips they said there was lateral play so they replaced it with their fix for a part only price.

·
Registered
644 Posts
yup :chuckle: And I am loving them so far (couldnt resist the free upgrade as they *the stock front cats* where coming out anyway to do the bell housing), the sound they make at 3000rpm upwards it great! so raspy! plus the car feels more responsive as well, all gears, and feels like its spooling faster as also.

Russ fellows Downpipes and russ fellows y pipe non resonated, but still the stock back box... Was wanting to do some track days, but not sure if it will pass on noise??
Nicce :thumbsup:

I made the mistake and didnt get the downpipes put on when changing my bellhousing :( But i wanna put them on at my next service..

Do you get any drone at 2 - 3k rpm ?? If so how bad isit..?

Im thinking of same set up as you, russfellows downpipes + non-res y-pipe and stock rear system..

Also if you dont mind me asking, how much was the downpipes+y-pipe ??

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**** me that sounds like a tractor..... never thought they could sound that bad! and Nissan say that was within tolerance???
I didn't have any noise at all but while my car was at Litchfields with the gear box out for circlips they said there was lateral play so they replaced it with their fix for a part only price.
Yes it makes the car sound crap on idle, it didnt make much noise really when moving over 20mph, note sure about nissan and tolerances, as my car is out of warranty, so got an indy to sort it,.. Mine didnt have any play/noise, then it suddenly went over a couple of weeks.

Nicce :thumbsup:
I made the mistake and didnt get the downpipes put on when changing my bellhousing :( But i wanna put them on at my next service..
Do you get any drone at 2 - 3k rpm ?? If so how bad isit..?
Im thinking of same set up as you, russfellows downpipes + non-res y-pipe and stock rear system..
Also if you dont mind me asking, how much was the downpipes+y-pipe ??
Well I've had the russ-f non-res y-pipe on for about 4 months and drone is accepable to me, it still drones.. but about 1/3 less than the milltek non res I had on for 2 weeks (couldnt stand it), and the drone with russ's sounds more rearwards, towards the back box so sounds more natural, whereas the milltek sounds more central-rear, so for me was more boomy in the cabin..

Now with the downpipes on, it say its about 1/4 louder than before, as I am used to the y pipe after having it 4 months, I'm happy with it, its worth the trade of for me, when you hear the 'wwwhhhahhhhhhh--bbbbrr-raaaspppppppppppppp' just over 3000rpm, it raises a smile. PM sent

chron

·
Registered
185 Posts

How much do Litchfield's charge for circlip upgrade please?

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well done. Are you finding it pulls harder to the red line than before?
I've found the car feels more lively all round tbh, especially spool, not because of the few extra horses, I think its because the turbo can breath more easily now..

Good one Chronos :thumbsup: I'm getting a full RF system fitted in a couple of weeks time. It's a great sounding system ...
sweeeeeeeeeeeet! what backbox you going for? unsilenced? silenced? ypipe res/non res?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh folks on a side note, I have noticed that you do get wafts of exhaust fumes now and again when you have the windows down and/or the car fans blowing cold air in etc... this is mainly when stopped at lights, or coming of boost and slowing right down to a stop/crawl..

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
more yes's than no's... 3 months later, since the acspeedtech fix, and she's still not rattling! love it!

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: another 6 months, and still NOT rattling! :D bliss.

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im having the 4.25 along with the upgraded new bell housing done, cant wait !
How have you found it?? I'm still loving the silence!! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
that rattle is so embarrasing, out of all the agricultural tractorish noises our cars make, that one is by far the most annoying.

Will get litchfield onto this along with circlips at some point sooner then later!

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that rattle is so embarrasing, out of all the agricultural tractorish noises our cars make, that one is by far the most annoying.

Will get litchfield onto this along with circlips at some point sooner then later!
It certainly is, when your neighbor tells you "It sounds like a bag of spanners!" , one was not impressed!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
i done my bell housing and downpipes a few weeks ago..done my own bell housing mod and it is as quiet as a mouse..and the downpipes make the car sound awesome now

1 - 20 of 47 Posts