GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just want your views on whether my problem is the bellhousing or not. I was down at Sly's on Sunday to have my exhaust adjusted as it wasn't sitting right and while I was there I had the K&N drop-in filters installed too.

On my way home the car seemed to be a lot louder which I found bizarre... After travelling about 45 miles, I came off at my junction and obviously slowed down to low speeds where I started to hear a rattle but it was only a slow speeds, as soon as I was on boost or travelling above say 25mph I couldn't hear anything but if I put my hand on the hand brake I could feel a vibration. It was also very evident when I reversed my car onto the drive.

After being out for the afternoon I got back and thought I would look under the car and make sure all the exhaust was attached properly in case a bolt was not tightened properly but everything seemed fine. The reason I thought it may have been the exhaust was because it seemed louder as I didn't think the air filters would make that much difference. So after inspecting the car I started it up and took it round the block to see if I could hear it again and couldn't hear anything, so I decided to take it out for a drive and let it get warm and as soon as the car was at around 85c it started to make the noise again.

From what I've read it seems very similar to the bellhousing issue and I also called Sly and he thought the same but could it be something else?

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated, the car is under warranty with Nissan so hopefully no issue there even if the car is modded.

Cheers,

Jon

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sounds very possible mate but hard to tell without hearing a clip. Mine needs doing but it can only be heard at a stand still. Got her booked in with Sly soon for the Litcho fix ; )

Do a quick U tube search for R35 bellhousing and see if they sound similar.

Good luck buddy

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmm yea it could be.. The symptoms you are describing seem to match..

Best way to check is have a look on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafVJkJFRsg)

Then after driving a bit and letting the car warm up, stop and check underneath the car whilst it is still running.. You will hear a very distinct rattle coming from the underneath right in the middle of the car.. Even if u keep the car running (whilst warmed up) and walk a few feet to the right or left of the car, you should be able to hear that distinct rattling sound..

I had this issue on my car after like 2 weeks of buying it :( lol only 3,500 miles on the clock too..

Anyways i have heard its best to get the litchfield fix for this because apparently the one that gets replaced under warranty seems to get eroded and rattles again after a few thousand miles :/

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I believe it's ok until it gets so much play that it starts to send nasty vibrations through the floor of the car. Then obviously at this stage it can cause problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I believe it's ok until it gets so much play that it starts to send nasty vibrations through the floor of the car. Then obviously at this stage it can cause problems.
Thx. Seems daft that they're still producing and selling cars with the issue. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I thought my bellhousing was on the way out but I took it to Middlehurst who had it up on the ramps and they said mine is fine. Still noisy but that's just the design! If you're near SVM/Litchfield I'm sure they'd have a look for you :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hi mate, that prob means that it is just within Nissans tolerance which I think they raised due to so many warranty claims etc. I'm sure so done will be along soon to say what it is but I'm thinking around 4mm of play??

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I don't think you can tell by the noise. Mine was done at 8k miles and sounded exactly the same when I picked the car up from the NHPC after having the new bellhousing fitted. Sounds like a bucket of nails being swirled under the middle of the car at tickover.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
lots of other threads on here and gtrlife (nagtroc) describing the circumstances/revs under which noises and vibrations occur. Have a quick search about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts