GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just bought a 2014 Nissan GT-R :) :D :wub: and it has bellhousing rattle. It's under Nissan warranty for another month, but I may be able to push for a Litchfield replacement done under the dealer warranty (due to them selling me the car as having had one previous owner, when actually it had two).

Can anyone advise me whether I should go for Nissan or Litchfield please? I've heard bad things about Nissan, but have things improved???

Are Nissan usually ok about fixing the rattle, or will they try to wriggle out of it?

Thanks very much!

PS I'm in the UK

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
There the usual rattle which you hear in neutral due to the twin plate clutch not being clamped when not transferring torque. This is not to be confused with bell housing rattle due to wear.

All GT-Rs are noisy to some degree in neutral, but bell housing rattle, which is much louder and is distinctive, can be fixed by the uprated Litchfield design.

Nissan haven't fixed it, if you fit the Nissan it will happen again. If you fit the Litchfield, it should not. I can't speak for Geof's issue.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
There the usual rattle which you hear in neutral due to the twin plate clutch not being clamped when not transferring torque. This is not to be confused with bell housing rattle due to wear.

All GT-Rs are noisy to some degree in neutral, but bell housing rattle, which is much louder and is distinctive, can be fixed by the uprated Litchfield design.

Nissan haven't fixed it, if you fit the Nissan it will happen again. If you fit the Litchfield, it should not. I can't speak for Geof's issue.
Adam, can you confirm Iain is still fitting their own design and modified bell housings as I was told that they have been using the Nissan one and fitting them instead.

·
Vendor
440 Posts
As Adam said, many owners have been confuse between "normal" and "faulty" rattle noises and what to expect from your car. So to be clear: even after fitting the upgraded unit fitted you will still have a sort of rattle noise. (I have tried to collect the most information on this at my website regarding this, see: Kaizer Motor GTR Bell House Rattle Kent ) and I'm not sure about Litchfield, but you can still get an upgraded unit from us.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
On three separate occasions, I was told it's ****ed, it's fine, it's ****ed.
I had Litchfield's replace it. There was nothing wrong with it.
Most got scammed into having it replaced by Shitsan dealers so they could claim money from Shitsan.

This is rumour control, here are the facts.
Longitudinal travel is normal, and a requirement.
Lateral run out of more than 0.2mm is the only reason to replace the bell.
The rattle is nothing to worry about, until you start feeling vibration under your feet. :lamer:

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
My litchfield bellhousing rattles quite badly, iv just learned to live with it
don't they do a modified version? I have an acspeedtech machined modified version, NO rattle for 30k miles, its rattling again now but its getting replaced again.. they don't last forever unfortunately. But for 30k silence was golden!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes this was the litchfield modified version and has only done 20k miles
I'm going to have a chat with litchfield to see if their design has improved since 2015 when mine was done and get it sorted because as you said the silence is well worth the money,

·
Registered
110 Posts
I though there bell housing was to upgraded from the standard one if not better, its no improvement if its only last just as long.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The rattle is worse when idle rpm fluctuates more than sweet.
Rattling is normal, and nothing to do with the bearings.
The bearings had a tendency to work loose in their seat. Causing vibration.
Too much lateral run out. People should stop confusing the two.

The rattle is normal. If it appears excessive, it's lumpy idle related, and not bearing seat screwed.

Litchfields version pins the bearing in its seat with bolts.
Other versions are machined and sleeved.
Neither stop the rattle for good. Nissan can't stop the rattle, and they're not bothered.

It's okay! Keep spanking it :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would the vibration be noticeable throughout the car or would it take to have been in a good one and then a bad one to notice?

·
Registered
151 Posts
are there any sound samples to distiguish a "normal" bellhousing rattle vs a "get it fixed right now" rattle?

I've read that there have been instanced of false knocking that occured due to the bellhousing. Anyone on here?

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Aside from the noise, what's the worst case scenario with it?
Nothing. If either or both bearing works it's seat loose, it'll vibrate like a son of a bitch. You'll definitely know. From a slight vibration under your left foot at around 3k rpm, to "Jesus ****, I better get that replaced".

As I said earlier, I'd been told mine was screwed, then it wasn't, then it's screwed again. I had it replaced at Litchfields, and I inspected my old one at that time. Guess what? Nothing wrong with it. Absolutely nothing. £850 bye bye

·
Registered
151 Posts
ouch, that second sound file sounds nasty! mine's not that bad yet but I'm on my second already, changed about 10K miles ago :bawling:

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
ouch, that second sound file sounds nasty! mine's not that bad yet but I'm on my second already, changed about 10K miles ago :bawling:
What 2nd one? stock or modified?

To be fair when the modified one starts going the rattle isnt half as bad as a stock one when it's rattling, the rattle is about half as loud, and seemed to gradually come in, whereas the stock bell housing was a sudden rattle that got worse/noisier quickly.. I've had my modified one rattling and still been driving on/off for 2 months whilst waiting for a replacement (there's a queue!) and it didnt get that much worse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts