GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can people share with me what belt tension tools they use , tension measuring etc .

in all the years ive worked on cars ive always done all belts by feel including cam belts , single cam and twin cams and then taken the cars for a drive to see weather it feels right then come back to make minor adjustments but it would be nice for once to be able to do things like cam belts with an accurate measurement with a tool instead of just feeling with fingers lol .

cheers :thumbsup:

·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any one in the know ? not every one is like me feeling the tension when doing belts lol :nervous:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I know Gates make a tool to measure tension on the belt.
You slide the belt in a slot, and pull the belt like a string on a guitar, and the tool measures vibration, and lets you know if it is ok. (sorry for the bad explenation :p )

Asim

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Thumb and 1 finger :)

·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol years ago i did do one too tight and it damaged a water pump but that was on a vauxhall so after that i leant to start from the looser settings first and work from there but not to loose were it might cause trouble.

thats why on for example my old calibra turbo i had id set the tension were it felt right ( cam belt ) then drove the car to see if it felt right and make adjustments from there as the slightest difference in tension was normally quite noticeable to the performance of the engine .

just that with the more modified the car's engine the more sensitive it becomes to the cam belt tension through more precise valve opening and closing making higher risk of damaging if the engine has been mapped with fine tolerances .

maybe im just being a baby because im always worrying about expenses lol :nervous: , u know like what if this happens and what if that happens then thats so many more months with out the cars i enjoy , or even years the way my finances are at the moment .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts