GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have an 87 peugeot 205 Dimma as my everyday run around,the best setup on it i find is Koni adjustables,standard 1.9 205 gti springs and power flex bushings all round.My 32GTR has Cusco adjustable on all corners but its too hard for Irish roads so iwas wondering what people think the best setup would be???Needs to be comfy...:) Is the standard GTR shocks and springs upto the job??and easy gotten???
Thanks in advance....

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
Tein cheapo coilovers will be perfect. I bought Tein NA which are slightly stiffer than STD on the softest setting and go quite hard. I run mine fairly soft. And they have 4 height adjustment, not that mines lowered atall. There's nothing wrong with the STD ride height..

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Stock, IMO. Also, IMO, Tein dampers are utter junk :) I constantly get imports in with Teins that are knocking, leaking, seized, whatever, at very low mileages. I put some on the shock dyno, a pair of brand new ones, straight out of the box. Set to the same the damping rates, in reality they were wildly different, and the rates themselves were, IMO, bizarre foe the application. Others love `em, my experience of them has been bad, though. IMO GOOD shocks come from Scandinavia or Germany, with the exception of Penske.

By the way, if anyone wants a good book on setting up dampers the Penske manual goes into some detail, as well as showing WHY they are so bloody expensive and good. It's worth a look if you don't now how to set up adjustable dampers, many people think they should just go fully hard on track days, which is nearly always incorrect. I have it on my ftp site if anyone wants to grab a copy

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/penske it's in .PDF format.

OE dampers are expected to do nigh on 100,000 miles, these days, without any dramas. Find me a set of Teins that aren't buggered at even 50,000 miles...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Get someone like Aurok to revalve them at about £300 for the 4 and they will set them up perfectly for Irish roads. You will have to send them off but the whole turn around time if done right will take only a week.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
ExScoobyT said:
Mark at Abbey was (highly) recommending Tein superracing jobbies the other day.....

I think everyone has an opinion on dampers, I just go from what I have seen and measured. I also think the HKS ones are garbage, for what it's worth. The Tein springs seem OK, they don't seem to settle and are pretty much spot on to their declared rates and ride heights. I have yet to see one with a broken coil, either.

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
I have just fitted some Apexi N1's seem fine to me, damping is working well on smooth roads..but buggered up subframe bushes arnt helping at the mo...

Chris do you have any thoughts on their durability and build quality?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
My old Mazda FD RX-7 came with them on and they worked OK, another R33 GTS-t came with them on and an adjuster broke, those fiddly adjusters down the top stem are VERY easy to break (if you have this type of damper apart you will see why, it turns some very fragile items, and rough treatment when they hit the end ot the adjustment range will bugger them). If they lose their gas charge you will need someone with a hypodermic recharging kit to get more nitrogen in (sadly I am 150 miles away... ) :) In short, not too bad, treat gently.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Ahh, now I didn't say that, I just said to re gas them you need a gassing station and needle, as the gas port is a rubber seal in the base, not a Schraedar valve like most have. As far as internal service items are concerned I don't know anyone who can do them, and as far as I know Apexi Japan has gione bump and is in receivership. I only know about the internals as I am "into" suspension and took a dead one apart to see how sophisticated it was inside.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
Ahh, now I didn't say that, I just said to re gas them you need a gassing station and needle, as the gas port is a rubber seal in the base, not a Schraedar valve like most have. As far as internal service items are concerned I don't know anyone who can do them, and as far as I know Apexi Japan has gione bump and is in receivership. I only know about the internals as I am "into" suspension and took a dead one apart to see how sophisticated it was inside.
Try Aurok? www.aurok.com

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yunis A : Yes, they looked similar, you can see the hypodermic port in the bottom of them.

Marky GTST : Never seen them, I tend to use Bilsteins and Konis on road cars, and one of my race cars has Proflex double adjustableson it, the other has Penske triple adjustables. I think Bilsteins, valved to suit the application, take a lot of beating, value for money wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The best suspension i can personally vouch for are made/setup individually by Whiteline Australia. They export worldwide, and their systems are custom made to suit each and every vehicle type, down to the model....i.ie GT-R, GTS-T etc... Whiteline use only the highest quality materials and manufacturers and are highly respected in the racing, rallying and road scene in Australia and many other countries. They make coilover packages, alignment solutions, swaybars, bushes, springs, customise (valve)kyb and koni shocks, and offer extremely competitive prices. Check them out at www.whiteline.com.au

I have a "flat out" "handling kit" on my s13 silvia, and am buying one for the GT-R once i take delivery. Hazza

1 - 20 of 20 Posts