GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is a product out there that does a full sat nav, camera position alarm AND mobile camera detection?

I need maps for Europe, traffic alerts and route re-planning to avoid blocks.

Before I bought the R35 I had a BMW with a basic in car system. Since then I've used both my wife's Tom Tom and My dad's Garmin (prefer the garmin for speed of updates, but it can be slow to find satellites sometimes) and I hate the fact that I can't seem to set the view to a scale I like on either. But neither have traffic or camera technology and I need both, preferably without monthly or annual subscriptions (!)

I don't need blue-tooth, or MP3 playback etc etc.

Any suggestions - what's the best peice of kit out there?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
There are sites you can log onto where you can download files for Garmins to get up to date camera locations: PocketGPSworld.com.

But I've just got the latest TomTom 940 Live and it is amazing. HD Traffic Live is fantastic. Just switch it on at home, set a destination and required time of arrival and it will basically check live traffic and tell you what time you need to leave! Brilliant.

Plus it has continuously updated (via built-in GPRS) mobile camera locations.

The 940 has worldwide maps, including the US and Canada, but if you only need Europe maps the 740 is the one.

Only downside is the Live service is £7.99/month but there are deals to buy a year's cheaper.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a product out there that does a full sat nav, camera position alarm AND mobile camera detection?

I need maps for Europe, traffic alerts and route re-planning to avoid blocks.

But neither have traffic or camera technology and I need both, preferably without monthly or annual subscriptions (!)

I don't need blue-tooth, or MP3 playback etc etc.

Any suggestions - what's the best peice of kit out there?

Thanks
i,ve got garmin xt mobile on my n97 with full uk and europe maps, fixed speed camera locations and its free if you know where to look and really easy to use as for finding satelites it takes a max of 45seconds to conect. by the time youve programed where you want to go its locked on and ready to roll

hope this helps

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I've just got the latest TomTom 940 Live and it is amazing.
David,
My Wife has a Tom Tom (740 I think) and the main gripe I have with it is that it only shows you a tiny bit of the map at any time. Sure you can zoom out to see the bigger picture, but as soon as you stop it zooms back in again. I know they're improving these things all the time but do you know if you can set the scale of your view as a permanent preference?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
satnav devices in Korea are pretty astonishing. Since Seoul is well-mapped out down to the inch, it warns you of every speed camera location, gives you directions on 3D maps with tricky multiple ramps and interchanges, backup camera functions, traffic updates and rerouting (although oftentimes, there is no clear route around a bad jam :p), DMB television, locations of nearly every imaginable business. The 3D map view is particularly cool, and you can run split-screen.

I would be quite happy with this - but the damned things are in Korean only. So while I've watched Koreans get incredible functionality out of them (even my Luddite dad uses one), I'm out of luck.

So, uh, I have air conditioning and despite the scorching hot Skyline engine bay it blows ice cold :) that's a nice gizmo ;)

more practically, and I think every big power Skyline should have these, are permanently installed wideband lambda and det cans. I watch my lambda gauge more than 200 times as much as I watch my speedometer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had a recommendation for a snooper syrius sat nav with lifetime GPS camera position updates and traffic alerts.

Apparently it's not quite as fool proof as a camera detector (but I used to have one of those that went off every ten seconds and drove me so mad I through it out of the window!), but it seems to tick all of the boxes and had a what best buy recommendation too.

Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

·
Registered
90 Posts
For camera detection, y use the Coyote : Coyote :: The first real-time speed camera alert system

Its a pretty compact gizmo (slightly bigger that a box of matches), that you stick on your windshield or dashboard.

It has a DB of all the speed cameras, and it's updated by GSM link (there is a small subscription fee to pay) so it's always up to date.

The cherry on the cake, is that the system is active. The coyote has a button to report mobile cameras (undercover cop cars,...) and the info is sent to the coyote servers and to all the users.

Moreover, the system tells you how much "scouts" (people with coyote in their cars) there are in front of you.

When closing to a speed camera, the coyote tells you what is the speed limit on the road and beeps if you are exceeding it.

I've got it since two weeks, and it works impressively well.

There are two models : The "coyote classic" which is a satnav + the camera warning, and the "mini coyote" which is only the camera warning system (that's the one I've got).

Mini coyote :

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
speed detection in Korea is humorous. Large signs posted 400 meters before the camera announce that its there. Every satnav worth its salt has every camera location (they are fixed on poles along the highway) mapped out and automatic warnings ensure that you have plenty of warning time to slow down before the camera.

And that's the way they want it. Cameras are placed in areas where a lot of accidents have occurred. People think they are "beating the system" but they're slowing down at key points in the road system, exactly where the safety folks want them to.

As for me, the only thing I've got for the cameras is a folding license plate holder, which some Japanese guy invented and I bought mine from there. As speed increases, wind force against the plate increases and overcomes the spring tension, and the plate folds in horizontally and unreadable. I "tuned" mine by removing one of the springs to lower the "activation speed" down to about 50kph. It may not be in the car, but it's a damned good gizmo!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think for everyday driving you need a sat nav with a very good camera database which can be updated easily (Origin360 database is one of the best) and a laser jammer for them mobile van. Lol I don’t think the Progo drive has traffic updates? But these two gizmos save your ass on the road.

Origin - Pogodrive & Pogoalert GPS Satnav

UK Speedtrap Guide. Radar, GPS and Laser radar detector guide.
I had the origin kit before it be became gizmo and found it to be unreliable. It had to be returned for fixing twice (Broken aerial, and frozen screen) under guarantee. I was told that out of guarantee there was a £60 diagnostic fee so in the bottom draw it went. They may have improved since the rebrand but I won't be chancing it.

Snooper Syrius ticks all the boxes except traffic updates and the speed camera locater is more detailed and accurate then the Origin/Pogo.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Benji, The Coyote Classic sounds interesting - I haven't seen a sat nav and camera detector combined yet, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet. Shame.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Benji, The Coyote Classic sounds interesting - I haven't seen a sat nav and camera detector combined yet, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet. Shame.
I think they are phasing out the "coyote classic" in favor of the "mini coyote" (non sat-nav).

It's even endorsed by the St**...er.. Ben Collins. :D
Coyote :: Ben Collins

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
I actually agree with Mr Yu :p that the current top of the shop TomTom is the one to probably have currently, especially since they made a superb marketing decision a while back & crossed over to the ROADANGEL database for speed cameras etc.

My personal weapon of choice is the S2000 Syrius Proline which I've had for about a year & a half which won the Mobile Electronic News Award for 2008 I just discovered!
It has Sat Nav, TMC, Bluetooth (music & phone!), speed camera/trap/location detection & some other goodies to boot too.
Before that I had their INDAGO model.

What I was sold on with this brand was when TomTom were still having their camera/speed database regularly dipped in the brown stuff & rubbed in their faces on how crap it was, ROADANGEL were the only decent up to date 24/7 database to have. They just made crap satnav's but decent detectors!

Then with the INDAGO a company called SNOOPER finally cracked it! You see SNOOPER not only used NAVTEQ for their traffic & maps which is one of the finest systems in the world! They also built a dam good GPS receiver unit & had a database that rivalled & often was updated quicker than ROADANGEL!
Can't remember what it was called back then, but the database is now called AURA & is the market leader :thumbsup:

So there is my two pennies worth!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts