GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know much about ic's.. which one out there is the best?
Hks ams gtc? Cost is not an issue. Just want the best.

Anyone know ic?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
SVM/GTC Marston!!!

It's Aerospace and you cannot get better than aerospace!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cos there's a lot of cars flying around in aerospace.

My vote would be Motorsport, not aerospace.
Okay let me rephrase!

They are made by an aerospace company that also make the best motorsport cores out there!

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Then I'll assume Marston supply all the WRC and Indy car intercoolers and will be supplying all the F1 intercoolers next year?

Except that they don't and they won't!

·
Vendor
480 Posts
A lot of replacement intercoolers are better than OE plainly because they are just 'bigger', having used nearly everything on the market over the last 15 years on dynos and track I normally find you get what you pay for, but there is sense and reason in everything.
The best performing cores I've used have been the Greddy drag-spl (available in very good sizes and can buy the cores individually), the Apexi cores (fantastic efficiency/design, but only available in small sizes) The HKS cores work very well (run about 15% better than they advertise, type-r especially good). Not had much luck with the Pace cores. The Perrin cores are good for mid power. Currently the AMS ones perform very well and as advertised when you translate the power figures from US to UK. Forge ones are ok, good upgrade over standard, not pushed one with 900+hp/50psi boost though yet.
I've used a few '1000hp' spec cores that haven't even beaten a factory core... And let's not even get started on PWR chargecoolers. Bit of a minefield though I admit.
The Marston cores are good, but they are big, and should be good for that money.
I haven't used the ETS or SRD ones on the GTR, they are bigger/better than stock, but how much I couldn't say yet but am interested as they are at a good price point, gaining a repeatable 3-5 degrees of timing for the same boost level on the road would be great and probably would give 20-30hp gain.
The stock IC on the GTR performs very well up to 720hp of flow and 1.4/1.5 bar of pressure. What you see on the dyno is how well a replacement IC works at the 30mph headwind provided by the dyno fan. When you run the car on the road and get decent flow which is ram air fed to the IC by the well designed GTR aerodynamics, the charge temps drop dramatically as road speed increases past 50mph. Not to say that you don't get a similar performance increase with the aftermarket item as speed increases, but to say that the OE one is surprisingly good and keeps 1.4 bar of pressure (stock turbos) cooled happily for road and track use.
Driving a GTR pretty hard, I've been monitoring a charge temp at 1.4 bar in 2nd gear at 35 degrees, then it drops to 30 through 3rd gear, then drops again in 4th and 5th, so it all depends where you perceive your requirements to be.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
SRD for value and quality all day long

·
Registered
585 Posts
Best value Whifbitz or SRD
One of the best regardless of cost GTC/Marston

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
A lot of replacement intercoolers are better than OE plainly because they are just 'bigger', having used nearly everything on the market over the last 15 years on dynos and track I normally find you get what you pay for, but there is sense and reason in everything.
The best performing cores I've used have been the Greddy drag-spl (available in very good sizes and can buy the cores individually), the Apexi cores (fantastic efficiency/design, but only available in small sizes) The HKS cores work very well (run about 15% better than they advertise, type-r especially good). Not had much luck with the Pace cores. The Perrin cores are good for mid power. Currently the AMS ones perform very well and as advertised when you translate the power figures from US to UK. Forge ones are ok, good upgrade over standard, not pushed one with 900+hp/50psi boost though yet.
I've used a few '1000hp' spec cores that haven't even beaten a factory core... And let's not even get started on PWR chargecoolers. Bit of a minefield though I admit.
The Marston cores are good, but they are big, and should be good for that money.
I haven't used the ETS or SRD ones on the GTR, they are bigger/better than stock, but how much I couldn't say yet but am interested as they are at a good price point, gaining a repeatable 3-5 degrees of timing for the same boost level on the road would be great and probably would give 20-30hp gain.
The stock IC on the GTR performs very well up to 720hp of flow and 1.4/1.5 bar of pressure. What you see on the dyno is how well a replacement IC works at the 30mph headwind provided by the dyno fan. When you run the car on the road and get decent flow which is ram air fed to the IC by the well designed GTR aerodynamics, the charge temps drop dramatically as road speed increases past 50mph. Not to say that you don't get a similar performance increase with the aftermarket item as speed increases, but to say that the OE one is surprisingly good and keeps 1.4 bar of pressure (stock turbos) cooled happily for road and track use.
Driving a GTR pretty hard, I've been monitoring a charge temp at 1.4 bar in 2nd gear at 35 degrees, then it drops to 30 through 3rd gear, then drops again in 4th and 5th, so it all depends where you perceive your requirements to be.
Nice answer Andy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Then I'll assume Marston supply all the WRC and Indy car intercoolers and will be supplying all the F1 intercoolers next year?

Except that they don't and they won't!

Supposedly PWR said they will be but you will never know the truth will you.

I think the last thing any of these companies want is anyone knowing who they use!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts