GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research into this - Has anybody had any experience of this system? :

Laser Interceptor HP QUAD STOCK

HIGH POWER QUAD
Each Sensor Contains 2 Laser Diodes for Higher Power Jamming Capability
One Horizontally plus One Vertically Polarized Laser Diode

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I looked into these, but then thought what would I prefer, 3 points, or 6 months inside for perverting the course of justice, hmmmm!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read that they act as parking sensors and as such are legal? Is this a tried and tested theory or just another urban myth?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
HP LI not necessary for the GTR, the standard works just fine.

I shot some video of my LI defeating the Unipar SL700 here.

Steer well clear of any Laser Elite junk. Knock off copy of older jammers.

As for legality, just be sensible and turn jammers off when you hit the speed limit if you're targetted.

Contact Cliff the UK/USA distributor and mention my GTROC nick, he may give you a discount based on a previous GB we sort of organised.

Also did an install thread over at NAGTROC here

·
Registered
924 Posts
HP LI not necessary for the GTR, the standard works just fine.

I shot some video of my LI defeating the Unipar SL700 here.

Steer well clear of any Laser Elite junk. Knock off copy of older jammers.

As for legality, just be sensible and turn jammers off when you hit the speed limit if you're targetted.

Contact Cliff the UK/USA distributor and mention my GTROC nick, he may give you a discount based on a previous GB we sort of organised.

Also did an install thread over at NAGTROC here
I was about to buy the Laser elite myself. What is the issue with them? Do you have a price and or link for the items you recommend please?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Several issues.

1. The head dimensions. Deep casing which makes install on the GTR difficult at front and almost impossible at the rear.
2. Dubious ability against Unipar SL700 and latest gen Ultralyte lidar guns.
3. They are a chinese made knock off copy of Laser Pro Park/Antilaser marketed by Roadnet/Snooper here in the UK. The originator of these copies produced the Laser Star and before that the Drivesmart GPS camera device and ill-fated Defender jammer.

imho if you are going to jam laser you need the safest product with which to do that, and by that I mean not throwing jam codes on lidar guns and minimising punch throughs which is when an operator acquires your speed. Over the last few years only the LI has constantly updated their software/hardware to negate new threats, as well as repeatedly producing consistent jamming performance when tested by independent enthusiasts such as myself.

To install less on your car is leaving yourself open to the worst sort kind of false sense of security.

Google laser interceptor to find Cliff or shoot me a PM.

Finally, I have a few lidar guns which I'm happy to meet up and test any setup you go for, as that is the only way to be sure of your protection.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Ed, do you fancy a Groes Inn/Trac Mon/High road to Balla weekend?

I am desperate for a petrol fuelled weekend.....

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Bookatrack, Friday 8th June, Coastal circuit?

No obvious saturday/sunday track days for a while.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
CC,

Can you help out witha laser speed gun question?

What is their effective accurate range? I ask because in the cameralert gos ap you can set a advance warning time specifically for mobile cameras, it's of course speed dependent but if if i factor in a minimum speed limit of 30mph I can work out the minimum time plus reaction time to make sure I am beyond their range if I hear a warning.

Would be a great help.

Adam

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Effective ranges vary from gun to gun and road safety partnerships have guidelines with regards "working distances."

For instance, the most used lidar gun in the UK, the LTI 20/20 from Lasertech (Teletraffic in the UK) has a rated max operating range of 610m (2000ft) but I know from personal experience (I have one of these guns) that you can clock cars well over a mile away.

IMHO the average "encounter" would be around the 4-500m mark for open roads, but on city roads that generally drops to around 200m or even less.

I've seen a Talivan on the A40 (?) into Oxford which was set up to clock oncoming cars at a mile away at least so I know they look for longer shots as it clearly reduces the chance of a driver seeing the van and slowing down.

Sorry that my answer is more clear, but sadly with Talivan operators the type of road, the expected speed of the car, the topography of the landscape and type of lidar camera system being used will determine the likely range.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Effective ranges vary from gun to gun and road safety partnerships have guidelines with regards "working distances."

For instance, the most used lidar gun in the UK, the LTI 20/20 from Lasertech (Teletraffic in the UK) has a rated max operating range of 610m (2000ft) but I know from personal experience (I have one of these guns) that you can clock cars well over a mile away.

IMHO the average "encounter" would be around the 4-500m mark for open roads, but on city roads that generally drops to around 200m or even less.

I've seen a Talivan on the A40 (?) into Oxford which was set up to clock oncoming cars at a mile away at least so I know they look for longer shots as it clearly reduces the chance of a driver seeing the van and slowing down.

Sorry that my answer is more clear, but sadly with Talivan operators the type of road, the expected speed of the car, the topography of the landscape and type of lidar camera system being used will determine the likely range.
Surely if a gun has a " rated max operating range of 610m", then any readings taken beyond that range would not be admissible evidence?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
That quoted range is for the handheld device as it's range is limited by the sighting scope.

The Talivan guns are mounted with a camera with a zoom lens and as such the max range is increased dependant on the model used.

Generally from what I have gathered over the years, camera laser operators are encouraged to keep ranges within a sweet spot for the simplest of reasons. The acquired video footage will show the driver of the vehicle more clearly and assist in prosecuting those who claim they were not behind the wheel. There were plenty of failed prosecutions many years ago because the video evidence did not reduce the chance of the registered keeper saying he/she did not know who was driving at the time.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
CC,

Thanks, that's great info. Why do you know this and have these guns?

This example if scanning a mile away, would that have been in a 30 limit or would you think that behaviour is reserved for higher limit areas.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
CC,

Thanks, that's great info. Why do you know this and have these guns?

This example if scanning a mile away, would that have been in a 30 limit or would you think that behaviour is reserved for higher limit areas.
Maybe because I'm sad!

Actually it's because I've had jammers for quite a few years and became pretty active in that scene and spent time testing new kit and helping guys who'd had jammers installed. The scene at the time was (and in some respects still is) populated with some folks who tried their hardest to sully the reputation of other manufacturers by ill and foul means and I suppose I wanted to try these things out for myself to see through the BS.
Over a period of a few years I acquired 3 lidar guns with different particular characteristics which meant I could test stuff in the real world without prejudice.

As for the 30 mph question, imho the general rule of thumb is the higher the target speed, the longer the encounter distance simply because the operator requires the same amount of time to visually identify a vehicle, target it, and acquire its speed. Thus at higher speeds a vehicle is going to cover a longer distance over that given time hence the greater range of operation. Also traffic tends to be closer together at lower speeds which makes targeting individual cars difficult at longer distances as not only does the beam of a lidar gun diverge, but being able to get a clear shot of a single car is harder.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Maybe because I'm sad!

Actually it's because I've had jammers for quite a few years and became pretty active in that scene and spent time testing new kit and helping guys who'd had jammers installed. The scene at the time was (and in some respects still is) populated with some folks who tried their hardest to sully the reputation of other manufacturers by ill and foul means and I suppose I wanted to try these things out for myself to see through the BS.
Over a period of a few years I acquired 3 lidar guns with different particular characteristics which meant I could test stuff in the real world without prejudice.

As for the 30 mph question, imho the general rule of thumb is the higher the target speed, the longer the encounter distance simply because the operator requires the same amount of time to visually identify a vehicle, target it, and acquire its speed. Thus at higher speeds a vehicle is going to cover a longer distance over that given time hence the greater range of operation. Also traffic tends to be closer together at lower speeds which makes targeting individual cars difficult at longer distances as not only does the beam of a lidar gun diverge, but being able to get a clear shot of a single car is harder.
I've got an embarrassing admission to make, Andy. You encouraged me to buy the LI system back in late 2009 and I bought it from Cliff, but I still haven't had it installed yet, it's been sitting in the box all this time! :shy:

I'd have never forgiven myself if I had been lasered in the meantime, but touch wood, I haven't been, yet.
I was hoping to do a deal with Stinger in Holland after meeting them for a story in evo, but nothing's come of that so far.

Have you tested Stinger? If so, how would you rate them against LI? Their laser heads are a lot more discreet, but their system price is a lot higher.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Supposed to be the only military grade heads out there.

I worry about the peverting the course of justice threat. It used to be ignored but now they do seem to prosecute and the penalty is much higher.

That's why I'm so keen in cameralert, since it's a gps warning of all confirmed and unconfirmed mobile locations based on incentivised members of the public keeping the locations up to date. It works a treat.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts