GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a Skyline GT-T ( single turboed ), and wished to upgrade my power output. After reading lots in this forum, i decided to go the safe way to increase boost with ECU upgrade cause most does boost upgrade along with the ECU upgrade. Now i need help in choosing the best reprogramable ECU there is in the market.

I was gonna go boost up with no ECU upgrade. Is this a wise choice if i ONLY wants to do a 0.9 bar daily use with up to 1.2 bar scramble boost? I need a lot of inputs so please do not hesitate to give me any knowledge you have.

Please state the ECU recommended and please rate the user friendliness grade. I am particularly interested on APEXi POWER FC and HKS F-CON V pro or F-CON S.

I have some additional question:
1. Are ECU upgrades self reprogramable? or does it has to be remapped by tuner technician?
2. If it is self reprogramable, will i need additional tools (laptop, tuning software,etc) to remap those ECU? or it can be done with the provided parts?
3. Are any of the ECU i mentioned above has a self learning mode that optimize whatever upgrade setting i have on my car without me having to input the map data myself?

Thanks in advance to those who are willing to help me.

Jeff

PS: any additional advice will be appreciated, i need all the things i need to know, i am a newbie in tuning.

·
Registered
709 Posts
RB25DET tuning

The construction of the later RB25DET turbo is slightly different and the general consensus is that you shouldn't boost more than 0.9 bar - setting overboost to 1.2bar will result in a blown turbo. What you have to bear in mind is that the GT-R engine and the GT-T engine are totally different.

My personal inclination would be to set a solid foundation (i.e. good induction kit, exhaust, intercooler, oil cooler etc) and combine the boost increase with a bigger turbo as the standard turbo runs out of puff very quickly. I'd also go for the Power FC as the ECU of choice.

Talat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply guys, i appreciate it, and i am sorry for posting to many threads, i am new to this board so i thought it would help myself to get noticed. I would not do it anymore next time.

I have a questoin to Guy: since in Jakarta there is no proffesional Skyline tuner, will it be ok for me to ask for a Japan/UK proffesional to tune/map the ECU without having it installed in my car? What i meant is i sent the ECU to Japan or UK along with the information on what upgrades i have done on my car. Will the tuner be able to roughly tune it to where it suppose to be tuned? Or tuning has to be done when ECU installed in the car no matter what? I can probably do the fine tuning myself by following the roughly tuned map as a guideline.

Is there a webpage somewhere that explain how to tune POWER FC or F-CON system according to what upgrade you have made? If there is a guideline, i would think that anybody can tune their car themself.

Qustion for Talat: Can you mention the reason why you would pick POWER FC over the F-CON? Is the POWER FC very user friendly?
I would install induction+blow off valve, exhaust+pipe, spark plug upgrade on my car along with the ECU + boost controller. Would it still be dangerous to run 1.2 bar scramble boost with this upgrade? i will rarely used the 1.2 bar, but i would probably try it at one point.

Thank you very much for the help guys, this will help me a lot to decide.

Jeff

·
Registered
709 Posts
Scramble boost

Hmm, I think you'd be walking on thin ice by using 1.2 scramble boost but if you can get away with it then go ahead but just be aware that if it does go bang then the buck will stop with you. Whether the extra 0.3 bar will provide noticably gains is also debatable as the RB25 was designed more for response than all out power. Also detonation will be a factor as the standard intercooler is pathetically small and you have a 9.0:1 compresssion ratio. Don't forget to install a bigger fuel pump when you go for the increase in boost.

On the ECU side, not a lot of people recommend the HKS F-CON for the RB25. Even HKS Hiroshima don't recommend it, it has something to do with the variable inlet on the RB25 - I'm not a technical person so I don't know the exact reasons why but I know its a bitch to set up and hence that's why I recommend the Power FC.

Talat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I was thinking of same for my R33 RB25DET, for one I agree after seeing the size of the intercooler I was shocked of its size for the size of the engine etc, but then again it does have a piddly little turbo. Any ideas of a better intercooler and where from?

Also with the FConV what sort of price are you looking at? Something around the same as Unichip or more? Also would u run a boost controller inline for more benefit or just don't bother?

Also what sort of safe and everyday power max wise could u see from the RB25DET? I guess the answer to that really is how big is your wallet? lol But really anyone out there with a big powered Gts-t?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Big Power GTS-T's

Most power I've seen is the Top Secret R34 GT-T producing 700ps using a T88 turbo.

If I had kept my GTS then I would have opted for either a Trust TD06-25G or a HKS GT3037S and aim for around 500bhp. Which is more than enough, in my opinion, for a RWD car. A cheaper option would be a GT2540 which could get you up to around 380-400bhp.

Talat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sorry to sound like a complete retard here but by list u gave ther Talat are we talking turbos or intercoolers?

Also U mention the GT2540, how much and where from m8?

Many thx.

·
Registered
709 Posts
??

Sorry mate, I was talking about turbos.

On the intercooler side of things I'd get a Greddy 2 row item. John Dove (who frequents this BBS) bought mine off me and he'll be able to give you his opinion. I did some research before I bought it and it was recommended to me by a number of people in Japan.

The GT2540 retails for around 200,000 Yen but I'm not sure how much it'd be once the delivery and all the taxes have been paid.

Talat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cheers for that mate, might look into that one with regards to the turbo.

As for the intercooler where did u get that from?

Thx

·
Registered
709 Posts
Intercooler

I bought the intercooler from Taka Kaira. Their customer service is not the greatest and I paid around £700 (all in for it) at the time. It arrived around 6 months later.

Talat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FOR TUNERS OUT THERE.

Is there any proffesional tuners who post/read this message board?

I need one who can confirm wether or not a tuner can map a piggyback ECU without having the tuned car in front of them ( only infos of the upgrade in the car is given ), and program it roughly to the car specification.

I am in a country where there is no Skyline experts, that is why i need this important info before i decide to buy ECU upgrade.

Any Power FC user who would say that programing/mapping the FC is very user friendly and easy to learn?

Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated, i need all the input i can get.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
PFC.

Jeff,

I fitted a Power FC to my car soon after buying my GT-R nearly 2 years ago now. It is very user friendly in that it is relatively easy to remap it although, depending upon how much needs remapping, it is extremely tedious. The base maps were pretty good for the GT-R so I would guess that this would be the same for your model. What you will need is a wide band lambda afr meter so that you can ensure that the fuel/air mixture is correct.

You will also need an assistant/friend who can help you and some clear roads and patience for setting it up on the go.

It also has many other functions which are readily accessible the best of all being the knock sensor display so that you can ensure you are not getting any detonation and if you are, take immediate steps to clear it.

I've no experience of the Fcon V although it seems to be widely accepted that it is a bastard to set up properly.

HTH.

Peter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input, this help me a great deal. I would go for the Power FC now.

Based on what you said, that Power FC has already have a base fuel map, it practically guarantees that we would not miss the mapping by to much that it will pop our engine/turbine. Am i right to say this?

What is this "lambda" device do? is it a must have item? is it expensive?

I am very glad that Power FC has already have a knocking sensor to keep us out of the trouble.

Does mapping/setting this ECU has to be in moving state? high RPM? Top speed? etc. Is there any guideline on how to set up Power FC posted somewhere in the WEB? or probably is it in the instruction manual?

I will be patient setting my baby, i would not dare to do much extreme stuff. I'll be waiting for your reply Pete, once again thanks for your input.

Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jimi, I am in M'sia. I'd sent my GTR for upgrade in S'pore last month. they had Nagata san of Top Secret flown to S'pore to tune my GTR using Top Secret ROM. Perhaps they could arrange thesame for you. The best way is of course to ship your car to them in S'pore. Tell me if you are interested and I would post their tel. no.
BTW, I wouldn't even think of tuning or remapping the ecu by myself!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
power fc

jeff i can also say that the apexi power fc is a good system.also it is very easy to under stand,

keith.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts