·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
yeah, but your facts are different from mine LOL

·
Registered
626 Posts
Im shopping for tyres at the moment....

I'm on my second set of Bridgestones and to be honest...... I like them.... but on the flip side I've not tried anything else.

Got my eye on some oem dunlops.... any good?? In relation to the RE070s

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Im shopping for tyres at the moment....

I'm on my second set of Bridgestones and to be honest...... I like them.... but on the flip side I've not tried anything else.

Got my eye on some oem dunlops.... any good?? In relation to the RE070s
OK, you all know my thoughts and feelings about the only tyre for the GTR, however the NEW Dunlop has some good write up and it's most importantly a run flat, you never know I may be tempted n:chairshot

PS btw, on my 8th set of Bridgestones and more than happy with them (even if I have to search the ditches for them !!!) :runaway:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Steve, like you, I love the Bridgestones and I know your view on them but have you tried any other tyres to cement your decision not to change. I believe there may be a better tyre but I think it would depend on car use and driving style etc.

its the same when it comes to tuning. The GTR is an absolute weapon in the road straight from the factory, but people feel the need to change things, brakes, suspension, intakes, injectors.....all in the fight to make it better.

So the question is why should it be different with tyres

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
No,why would I ? Nissan spent an absolute fortune getting Bridgestone to MAKE a tyre for the super car !

It's a bit like altering the aerodynamics of your car by putting hugh great big ironing board spoilers on the car - Nissan did a hell of a lot of wind tunnel testing to get the aerodynamics correct.

Yes there are other tyres that are better in the wet, and give a more compliant ride, however as stated Oh soooooooooooooo many times, I know which tyre I would rather have if I get a puncture :) and the side walls are a lot stiffer for the extreme cornering forces etc etc etc

By al means, experiment, you may find you like the MPSS better (Oh I hope not) But I may give the new Dunnies a try as they are most importantly a Run Flat

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
No,why would I ? Nissan spent an absolute fortune getting Bridgestone to MAKE a tyre for the super car !

It's a bit like altering the aerodynamics of your car by putting hugh great big ironing board spoilers on the car - Nissan did a hell of a lot of wind tunnel testing to get the aerodynamics correct.

Yes there are other tyres that are better in the wet, and give a more compliant ride, however as stated Oh soooooooooooooo many times, I know which tyre I would rather have if I get a puncture :) and the side walls are a lot stiffer for the extreme cornering forces etc etc etc

By al means, experiment, you may find you like the MPSS better (Oh I hope not) But I may give the new Dunnies a try as they are most importantly a Run Flat
Why did Nissan replace the bridgies with the dunlops?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
How'd you get on with fitting tyres at F1 as I've had a shocker in the past with quick fit!
They were superb, the senior chap (assistant manager) insisted on doing it himself and he made a great job of them - no scrapes at all.

He'd never seen a GTR in the flesh so really went out of his way for me.

Had to wait a long time while he did it though.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It wouldn't have been that tough a sell
Nissan 2007: fancy making tyres for our car, we'll sell then at £500 each and tell customers bad things will happen if they don't use your tyre
Bridgestone : Ok ($$$$$$$$$$$)

I play devils advocate of course ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a scary "moment" on standing water today and a fast A road.

I'm still getting used to the GTR but my BMW on Uniroyal Rainsport 2 would have laughed at the standing water.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
I had a scary "moment" on standing water today and a fast A road.

I'm still getting used to the GTR but my BMW on Uniroyal Rainsport 2 would have laughed at the standing water.
On what tyres?

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
OEM Bridgestones
Thought so, from personal experience, my bridgies didn't like water.... Kinda like gremlins. Used to light up the tyres easily in the wet as well.. :runaway:

But ace in the dry tho.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I had similar experiences with bridgestones in the wet, I nearly did a 180 on a duel carriageway in heavy rain....

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Why did Nissan replace the bridgies with the dunlops?
Because they were found to be 'difficult' under certain conditions. Dunlop's were the OEM tyre for ALL R35's sold in the UK. No UK car came with the Bridgestone's

Cold wet conditions were their weakness especially when part worn whilst the Dunlop's were somewhat more compliant. The Bridgestone's were great in the dry and warm but had a tendency to steer you with the camber - into the ditch!

The new Dunlop's being fitted to the MY14's are supposed to be better and are a runflat as well.

For me it is Toyo 888's for track and MPSS for road.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Because they were found to be 'difficult' under certain conditions. Dunlop's were the OEM tyre for ALL R35's sold in the UK. No UK car came with the Bridgestone's

Cold wet conditions were their weakness especially when part worn whilst the Dunlop's were somewhat more compliant. The Bridgestone's were great in the dry and warm but had a tendency to steer you with the camber - into the ditch!

The new Dunlop's being fitted to the MY14's are supposed to be better and are a runflat as well.

For me it is Toyo 888's for track and MPSS for road.
+1 This man talks sense and EXPERIENCE! Nuff said.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts