GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, getting my GTR soon, looking into the first things im going to do for more power. is the HKS GT570 pkg worth it? is it worth getting the GT600?

what other companys should i be looking at? im looking for the best products with the most power.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome James,

Let me explain because the 2 guys above are being all shy.......;)

Ben is the European rights holder for the Cobb Access Port device.

Thistle is the man behind developing the amazing maps for it and providing new features like Knock Control.

I looked at the exact kit you are talking about.

I decided against it in the end and have the following set up: All parts available from Ben at GTC-R

Full titanium Race Exhaust system
Y Pipe
Cobb Access Port with custom map

This weekend i am fitting Downpipes and removing the final 2 cats from the car and after this another custom map from Thistle to ensure everything is running safely.

Before the downpipes are replaced this weekend my car is running 535 BHP with a much improved 0-60 and 60-130 time.

As a side note the dyno figure was purely used to gauge percentage improvement, my car was 479 before the work was carried out and 535 afterwards. Can't remember the torque figures but again these showed a healthy improvement. The improvement on the road and track was what i was interested in and not pub talk BHP figures.

My point is this, with the Cobb and exhaust changes you can have very noticeable improvements without buying a "specific kit", especially if you are not wanting to go down the turbo route.

With the new mapping from Thistle it is not necessary to go down the actuators route therfore saving on boost controlers and extensive labour to fit actuators.

Above all you will be able to data log your car and show knock which is an excellent safety feature and all for a total cost much less than the 570 kit you mention above.

I am a tight jock and was offered a 570 kit at a knock down price and still went the other route.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Scotty

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just so we don't upset any other European Cobb resellers/Pro-tuners, Ben/GTC is not the sole Euro/UK Cobb reseller/Pro-tuner. Although his outfit has tuned the only two 10 sec quarter mile R35 GTRs in Europe :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Just so we don't upset any other European Cobb resellers/Pro-tuners, Ben/GTC is not the sole Euro/UK Cobb reseller/Pro-tuner. Although his outfit has tuned the only two 10 sec quarter mile R35 GTRs in Europe :D
was more proud of Jan's times on the nurburgring 40 laps over two days as well as driving from Czech and back again without issue :p

and of course Rich's 11.05 on all stock cats

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
got this email today from a R35 we mapped in UAE:

"Also, fyi, the tune you made me ran me faster in the Bahrain F1 inner circuit Today. With Sharif's tune i managed 1:21sec, with your tune it got me 1:18sec which makes it the fastest time for a modded road going car :) plus, my tires finished at lap 3 along with the brakes. :) ZO6's couldnt even catch me on the straight too, what an awesome tune buddy :) "

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there any way i could get a pkg pricing with a catback exhaust of my choice? im trying to see my options as of now. i really like the meistershaft quad tip. will running that without cats/res be too loud? my buddy has a bmw m6 with the meistershaft with race res and it was still SUPER loud. looking for a good mix of mods to make a fun street car.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
is there any way i could get a pkg pricing with a catback exhaust of my choice? im trying to see my options as of now. i really like the meistershaft quad tip. will running that without cats/res be too loud? my buddy has a bmw m6 with the meistershaft with race res and it was still SUPER loud. looking for a good mix of mods to make a fun street car.
Yes no problem drop me a line to discuss

Full decatt is getting popular, sooner than we thought. Depending on the exhaust will be 105db+ real sweet sound, deep. In combo with 90mm Titan race mine sounds like a superbike at 7,000rpm. Some will consider it too loud. Not me i love it. I need to get some vid clips done :D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
i think this is totally on point these days. alot of headway has happend. reduce the cats and use new custom tune.

the next step is upgrade to modified turbos and add some more cooling (for brakes, engine and trans (very essential for higher hp applications)).

for the more hardcore you then upgrade trans, axels, LSD's and engine... This can include bigger turbos if need be (vs the modified turbos). but this way it will prolong the components for track (both drag and circuit at those power levels).

Haltech is making alot of headway, but the problem is finding a quality tuner, there are very few out there for the R35 and they are still working out firmware fixes to finicky issues. but if you are going to go BIG, your going to want a HALTECH. Cobb ap is just about there too, so dont count out the cobb just yet, cobb may be a safer option, at least for now. each have there differences. price is also very high for haltech, hence why i say go big with a haltech.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm on a mission to make Cobb the choice for BIG :D

Have made lots of progress on airflow and fuelling work in the last week, but it has been so complex I came back to it last night and for two hours simply couldn't work out what I'd done on Thu/Fri and ended up all confused and went to bed grumpy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Oh it isn't that sort of thing, it is summarising a load of routines I've looked at into some equations. These are verified in many different ways before they ever get near an ECU never mind a running engine, never mind one running with any boost, or a Cobb internal test, before going beta and then release after being proven on the track :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts