GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

(TYRE SIZE 255/40/17)

Wanting peoples opinions on what tyre to go for. I was first thinking of getting some Toyo R888's which I can get for about £800 and has a medium compound than i was advised by 2 of my mates to go for the Yokohama Advan A048-R which is just over 1k and has a medium-hard compound.

The car will be 50-50 road/track use, so basically looking for the tyre with the most grip , looking for someone that has had a lot of experience with these type of tyres and has some advice for me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I have a car on Toyo R888s and a car on Federal RSR.

The 888s are a little better on track but I have to say that for the cost I can't fault the RSR.
They seem to clear water better so probably a better road choice.

No experience of the Yokos.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I've had Federal RSRs and A048s on the R32. The Federals are great for the money - but you do have to put up with the tread splice separation issue.

The A048-R is being replaced I think. I got mine very cheap through an MLR group buy. They are very stick when new, the grip is impressive, better than 888s I'm told and I believe it BUT they are soft and wear more quickly than the Federals and the super grip doesn't last very long - I guess this would be worse still on a high power car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll be too scared to drive it in the wet to start off with :/ , dry conditions only :p

Yeah it’s just trying to justify paying 300-400 quid extra for tyres, are the tyres that are more expensive really that much better if so then I can justify paying that much extra.

The A048-R should last longer than the R888's I would imagine as they are a harder compound, so A048-R is 50 quid more expensive per tyre that is more sticky and should really last longer.

Maybe I'll just go all in with the A048-R's, better safe than sorry then maybe try cheaper alternatives later on to compare for myself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For £800 the 888s are a better bet than the A048s for an R32 imo.

The "medium-hard compond" A048 is what I have, apparently its the same rubber as the medium just a different sidewall, and I hear they don't last as well as the 888s especially on a heavy car.
Really ?!

Fair enough back to R888's then i think, 200 quid saved there :)

thanks for the input guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.