GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the best street coilover there is for the r32 gtr as in compliant over bumps?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have HKS Hyper D Coilovers, great around streets and decent enough over speed bumps.

there's no Best, everyones opinon will differ.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Best is subjective. Some people like stiff, some don't.

The best is probably something like Ohlins (though not the Japanese stuff made under license). Though the kit I saw was something like £25k per corner...

As a starting point have a think about the ride height you want. If you want the car to be lower how much lower. Bascially the lower you go the harder the suspension will need to be. Likewise factor in wheel/tyre sizes. Smaller wheels with taller tyres will soak up more than bigger wheels with lower profile tyres.

After that I'd be thinking about spring rates (damping rates should match the spring rates). If it helps I have 8kg front and 6kg rear on my MeisterR. I wouldn't want to go much harder than that for a road car. I like a pretty stiff set-up so you might like lower spring rates, 17" wheels and touch more ride height.

Other thoughts the stiffer the chassis is the work the suspension has to do. Also less unsprung weight (i.e. lighter wheels etc) will make the suspension's life easier. So time to tube the chassis and buy some carbon dymags :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with Cris. I am currently using Ohline R&T. I've used Cusco, Tanabe & HKS coilovers before. They are all pretty good. But, when compared to Ohlins. They are just not as road compliant. And in terms of track ability, because of the use of needle valves in the damping unit even when the oil becomes hot after a hard session on the circuit. The damping rate is kept consistent and there wouldn't be much noticeable change in performance throughout the day.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you guys like the Hipermax III, wait untill you try the new HKS Hipermax IV GT. I just did a 1100 mile roadtrip in 4 days in my R33 from NL to Birmingham and back. Absolutely love my new Hipermax IV GT. Ideal fast road + mild track suspension. With the rubber topmounts, it's really quiet aswell.

HKS just lowered their retail prices also.

Here is a picture of the set before i installed it on my car;

Currently even available with discount on our website:

Hipermax MAX4GT Nissan Skyline - PartBox Performance and Tuning Parts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Are these only for R33's?

If you guys like the Hipermax III, wait untill you try the new HKS Hipermax IV GT. I just did a 1100 mile roadtrip in 4 days in my R33 from NL to Birmingham and back. Absolutely love my new Hipermax IV GT. Ideal fast road + mild track suspension. With the rubber topmounts, it's really quiet aswell.

HKS just lowered their retail prices also.

Here is a picture of the set before i installed it on my car;

Currently even available with discount on our website:

Hipermax MAX4GT Nissan Skyline - PartBox Performance and Tuning Parts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Or we can offer the MeisterR GT1 coilovers. :)

These are hand build in the UK, with technology to rival the like of Ohlins DFV.
Each piston are precision CNC in the UK, and we use top grade internal such as a checkered wear tape to reduce stiction, and Millers Oil.

We engineered this in the UK from grounds up, and are design to provide comfortable motorway driving, responsive steering, and compliancy over uneven road surfaces.

They are not cheap at £1550 inc VAT, but I dare to say you will have a hard time finding a higher "performance" road suspension within this price category.
I don't think there are many suspension that will use CNC aluminium piston simply due to the cost.

And of course, being build in the UK mean we can fully service and rebuild them in the future also. :)

Just another option, if you have any questions just let me know.

Jerrick

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those hks hipermax gts they sound incredible according to reports online, the mesiter r gt1 also sounds good!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
ive had ohlins and meister r and for street driving Id much rather meister r, my ohlins needed some softer springs or something as it was just horrendous on our crap roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts