GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on the best street pads as a replacement for stock brake setup?

I don't do trackdays so only street driving. Which pads are best for pedal feel and good bite compared to stock brembo pads?

Are the cosworth street master or ferodo ds2500 better than oem?

Any more options?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if you are considering DS2500 then you may as well go for Performance Friction pads as they are great value and are in no way dust prone or corrosive to the wheels unlike the horror from my past experience with DS2500 on bimmers. I read some people in the US are on Endless MX72/ME20's. Suppose to be good, but I'm sure others will enlighten you here. I'm on MX72's, ok nothing to shout about on the street. My CSL is on PF's and they are great, but then its a much lighter car.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have not knowingly tried stock brembo unless that's what is used on the r35 track cars at Silverstone. These compare favourably as they are very good. minimal sqeal, seem to be long lasting too, not too harsh on the rear stock disks from what I have read although I wouldn't want to run them (or any aftermarket pad for that matter) on stock front rotors.

Costs vary, they seem to be getting 'cheaper', although still around £7/800 a set + fitting.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
my fronts may need changing next year. I will see how I get on and if I intend to do any trackdays but was considering changing as I don't need £7/800 pads.

I was thinking of checking out ferrodo DS2500. I think a number recommend the cosworth streetmaster. The hawk pad that clarkmotorsport on here sale is advertised as being similar to the ds2500. I am also interested in checking out some bendix pads which apparently are good for road use and 'only' cost £180 for a full set.

I wouldn't fit any EBC products.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ferodo ds2500/cosworth streetmaster pads at £200-£240 for fronts seem to be a good choice for price/performance for street use.

£700-£800 pads are too much for normal driving on oem disc set up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone using cosworth or ferodo pads that can give a quick comparison review to stock pads.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I would be careful running aftermarket pads on stock front rotors, in a much that they could be harder on the rotor and lead to cracking. Might be worth checking out the bendix which are probably more likely to fade sooner than the ferrodo.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I had Cosworth streetmaster on my old GT-R and I wasn't impressed to be honest.
That was as part of a disk upgrade too, but they didn't feel much better than stock.

I was advised not to use them on track either.
Cheap for a reason I guess...

Then I bought the MY11 that had stock pads/discs that felt just as good, which I upgraded to the Alcon BBK and it was simply amazing.

So if you want to put better pads in I'd suggest spending a bit and probably the discs too if you don't have 400mm ones.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I have stock sized Alcon disks and Streetmaster pads fitted by Iain on his advice before Euro Tour.

No squeal and after bedding in the feel is as good, if not better than stock on road and stopped from 180 plus on Autobahn to 70 with no issues at all, couple of laps of Ring and absolutely fine. Pad coverage on disks is great and if not doing track work then highly recommend the setup and very decent price.

Note I had braided hoses and fluid at same time so all spanking new (fluid is Gulf RF1000 for reference).

·
Registered
540 Posts
I too have had 380mm Alcon's fitted with Cosworth streetmaster pads. Still on OE hoses, however I find this set up very good. Firm stopping power and no squealing etc. I don't track, however will be going to Spa in Sept so I guess they will be tested to the max there!!!

Cheers

Louie

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I had these which came with my Calipers. Horrible pads poor pedal feel compared to what I have now. Project Mu HC+ Are certainly impressive so far for road use. Need to get the car out on track!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
RS29's for me, very happy.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone using cosworth or ferodo pads that can give a quick comparison review to stock pads.
I am using Ferodo pads front and rear just now and to be honest I am not that impressed the front pads are cracked and falling apart. I use PF disc front and rear and use the car as a daily

I did one track day with the Ferodo pads and I think I overheated them looking back I should have spent a little extra on some others which were recommended at the time.

Even before I tracked the car I did not find much or any difference from the original pads, just my opinion but I would recommend trying Cosworth pads or another. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts