GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
To be honest you're going to need to spend a reasonable amount of money in one go to make the next step up in performance as none of the bits will really work without the others. The only part you could probably fit out of the box without modifying anything else would be an uprated fuel pump as this will not really alter the performance of the car until you get it remapped. So if I were you I would do the following:

Buy and fit:
Uprated turbos, my choice is 2860-5
Uprated fuel pump, Nismo, Tomei, HKS etc.
Uprated injectors, 500cc or bigger.
Remap assuming you already have an Apexi PFC or something similar?

Optional
Uprated MAF's or ECU with MAP sensor - some people have been able to get 500bhp with stock MAF's, others have had to upgrade to Z32 or Nismo, you wont really know if you need to change the MAF's until the car is mapped with the new turbos and fuel system to understand if they're max'd out or not?
MAP based ecu's give more scope for tuning in my opinion and you'll notice that most of the newer after market ecu's (Haltech, Link, Vipec etc) seem to run MAP over MAF's.
Bigger fuel rail - If the injectors you choose don't fit the stock rail you may need to get an after market one? The nismo 500cc and Sard 700cc should fit the stock rail.
Fuel pressure regulator - The main benefit of this is that it's adjustable, allowing you to up the pressure thus feeding a little extra fuel each time the injector opens.

Hope this helps and good luck with the tuning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i take it you have a stock clutch?....i recently changed from stock to an ATS Carbon Twin and oh my! Its nice to add all these bits and mods however to put it in motion with neck snapping ability and incredible acceleration is another. By no means am I an expert and I too am undecided on where and what to add, but when that clutch went in, it became a monster!

Funny thing is i bought it used and then found out it had standard discs not Type R....so now its slipping....so off to buy a new Twin (Nismo Super Coppermix). I thought i'd share this so no one else has to go through what i did.

Hope this helps any and good luck on your build!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just made 607 awhp @ 27 psi (500 @ 21) with the following:

Garrett gt2860 -5's
denso 660cc injectors
FPR
Apexi Power FC
hard piping kit
modified twin turbo pipe
stock oil pump, block and head!

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
A hardpipe kit from your turbos to intercooler(originals arent up to it)

Completely untrue.

I know Hiroshi Tamura, (Mr GTR), runs close to 600bhp with stock piping and IC, although I would recommend one of these:

Products - GTR OWNERS CLUB

Optional
Uprated MAF's or ECU with MAP sensor - some people have been able to get 500bhp with stock MAF's, others have had to upgrade to Z32 or Nismo, you wont really know if you need to change the MAF's until the car is mapped with the new turbos and fuel system to understand if they're max'd out or not?

I am pretty sure no stock MAF can read up to that volume of air and tend to max out voltage-wise at ~450bhp.
The only way to get 500bhp is to just extend the graph past the point they stopped reading adding a bit of fuel just in case. Not too safe and too much guess work for my liking.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
"I am pretty sure no stock MAF can read up to that volume of air and tend to max out voltage-wise at ~450bhp.
The only way to get 500bhp is to just extend the graph past the point they stopped reading adding a bit of fuel just in case. Not too safe and too much guess work for my liking."

This is what was done on mine and No6 piston blew......will be installing Z32 AFMs.

The late great Tweenie could rescale standard AFMs to read beyond 500bhp though.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
you can rescale the maf voltage to read whatever airflow you want at certain volts, but its not recommended as it decreases the resolution of the maf

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
So I think the moral of the 500 bhp MAF story is unless you want to gamble it, and if your fitting a new ECU anyway then junk the MAFs and go MAP sensor like A'pexi D-jetro or Link ECU's.

They're less restrictive, due to no MAF in the air flow, probably cheaper if you have not got to get 2 Z32 MAF's, and they're ready for the next level of power mods. ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Completely untrue.

I know Hiroshi Tamura, (Mr GTR), runs close to 600bhp with stock piping and IC,

Completely untrue me arse...ya great you know somebody who got away without them running close to 600..i know plenty who havnt..

Totally depends on the condition of the original pipes..fresh models might be ok but older model gtrs especially R32s( ross has an r32) are prone to the pipes loosing their strenght/shape due to age,wear and tear etc. Under increased boost/high hp applications original pipes will cause problems..Hard pipes are the best option.I have personally experienced and scene this happen with 2 of my friends r32 gtrs..my own gtr which was running 435fly when i bought it already had uprated hardpipes fitted.

As for the discussion on ecus and afms..Ross said in hes first post that he already has an apexi ecu so i take it he has stock afms because he didnt say he had uprated ones.He is going to need bigger afms for 500bhp..

On the topic of injectors i ran stock injectors with my -5s at 472bhp fly for 6 months without issue.Duty cycle was over 90 percent at high rpms though so anything over that power and you will need bigger imo !

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Completely untrue me arse...ya great you know somebody who got away without them running close to 600..i know plenty who havnt..

Totally depends on the condition of the original pipes..fresh models might be ok but older model gtrs especially R32s( ross has an r32) are prone to the pipes loosing their strenght/shape due to age,wear and tear etc. Under increased boost/high hp applications original pipes will cause problems..Hard pipes are the best option.I have personally experienced and scene this happen with 2 of my friends r32 gtrs.
I just replaced my piping with a hard pipe kit on my stockish GTR for this very reason, consider it preventative maintenance :)

However on late models such as R34s, I wouldn't consider it necessary at all until they show sign of deterioration.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts

Totally depends on the condition of the original pipes..fresh models might be ok but older model gtrs especially R32s( ross has an r32) are prone to the pipes loosing their strenght/shape due to age,wear and tear etc. Under increased boost/high hp applications original pipes will cause problems.......
The somebody I am referring to is only the chief engineer behind the R34, and so somebody who knows far better than you or I the capabilities for the RB26 hardware fitted to his R32.

But sorry, I thought that it would have been a given that all part should be in a serviceable condition before you start. :rolleyes:

Besides, the only area/main you'd get problems is with the intake pipes due to the increase in vacuum, but the charge pipes, providing they are not perished would be ok. Of course inspection of the charge pipes and clamp should be done before hand, and any good tuner should do this.

But if you don't believe me or would rather be on the safe side then please feel free to fit what you want. I am just passing on what a Nissan Engineer has told me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
fair enough scott..i agree with you on the basis of original fresh pipes being up to it and you saying "completely untrue" may be correct for pipes on a fresh r34 or any model if the pipes are the original condition..i think you can get away with uprating alot less parts on a 34 than you can with a 32 for the same power output.eg.pistons,rods,oil pump etc..

R32s are pushing on to being 20 years old now:( ..the pipes are far from the original condition..

I made my comment based on problems my friends have had with the original pipes when tuning their R32s

R34/R33 ya my line of thought may be completely untrue but certainly not for the R32

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just made 607 awhp @ 27 psi (500 @ 21) with the following:

Garrett gt2860 -5's
denso 660cc injectors
FPR
Apexi Power FC
hard piping kit
modified twin turbo pipe
stock oil pump, block and head!
who mapped you car and what do you have R32/3/4?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
mate i been running approx 600hp for the last 2 years on a standard oil pump ..!!

but then again i like to test things out for myself ..not just go on hearsay
How any miles have you covered in 2 years? Do you do any track days or the like?

I too have gone with a standard pump for my circa 500bhp rebuild, so just curious.

Cheers,

21 - 40 of 50 Posts