GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've booked a trip to the Nurburgring this June and had intended on taking the GTR, however I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. Couple that with the fact everyone else in my group is taking cars worth a few grand, I would be a bit out of place. My thinking is I'm likely to have more fun in a car I don't care as much about, than in the GTR where I will probably be constantly worried about making a mistake.

So, with that said what are everyones ideas on the best car for circa £4k with track driving in mind? I'm currently looking at EP3 Type Rs as well as RS Megane 225s etc but would welcome opinions.

·
Vendor
12,559 Posts
we have a R33GTS T Type M for that kind of cash!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Look at something like an MR2 roadster. Me and mate bought one to be a track hack, fantastic handling little cars with great feedback and possibility of engine swaps etc

We had an Elise 190 bhp 2ZZ engine with a few other chassis mods.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
If you want something a little more comfy than just a track hack but that can still deliver the goods then you could consider a Mitsubishi 3000GT, Audi S3, Audi TT 3.2 V6 or a Boxster S (if you shop around a drive a hard bargain). Otherwise an EP3 Civic Type R or a Renault Clio Renaultsport 197 or the 182 Cup. Also don't dismiss the Seat Leon Cupra R - when breathed on they can be pretty damn rapid little buggers!

·
Registered
198 Posts
On our 8th track day with it. Never missed a beat.

I did spin at camp on Friday, but then recovered caught a R33 GTR passed it then lapped it :)
Our part worn Nankang NS2-R's from the BMW compact series were epic in the wet

R33 GTR : TBF when we had a look at his car the Altessa fluid was below minimum so was RWD only and it was one hell of a handfull

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
On our 8th track day with it. Never missed a beat.

I did spin at camp on Friday, but then recovered caught a R33 GTR passed it then lapped it :)
Our part worn Nankang NS2-R's from the BMW compact series were epic in the wet

R33 GTR : TBF when we had a look at his car the Altessa fluid was below minimum so was RWD only and it was one hell of a handfull
I bought a 6 about 2 years ago to do the same. The idea was that it would cost the same as a set of tyres and binning it wouldn't be too painful financially!

Instead of a heap, I found a low mileage one and since then I've spent a lot of time sorting eg I got my air con working! And then throwing money at eg vts steering rack, b12 suspension and nice stereo.

So rather than a track car I have a car I can't bring myself to rag as it's too nice.

Just needs the Diablo paintwork sorted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Integra DC2, Was my previous car before my R34 and I loved every second of owning one. Absolute beast on track for the price tag and widely regarded as one of the greatest handling FWD cars of all time.

I can give you a lot more help/info on them if you are interested.

But yeah for your budget the best cars would either be a EP3 civic as mentioned or a DC2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMPMs1zAIQ

an example of there handling ability

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Integra DC2, Was my previous car before my R34 and I loved every second of owning one. Absolute beast on track for the price tag and widely regarded as one of the greatest handling FWD cars of all time.

But yeah for your budget the best cars would either be a EP3 civic as mentioned or a DC2.

How odd, I had a DC2 before my R34 too. Was going to say to the op that a DC2 would be a good choice, plus being FWD perhaps a bit of a safer option opposed to a RWD.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

That's some amazing driving there. You've clearly got a pair and obviously a lot of confidence in the car!

·
Registered
264 Posts
have a few mates that bought cheap EP3 for under 2k and with only a set of brake pads took them over to the ring and flogged them for a few days...

not a spot of bother with the cars....if anything they went better afterwards lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Meganne 225 with a remap is a fantastic car for the money, and a proven 'ring speedster.

If you wanted more power you'll likely pick up a quick impreza for that cash as well.

I personally struggle to get excited with less than 250bhp after driving something which is really quick no matter how competent the chassis is.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I bought a 6 about 2 years ago to do the same. The idea was that it would cost the same as a set of tyres and binning it wouldn't be too painful financially!

Instead of a heap, I found a low mileage one and since then I've spent a lot of time sorting eg I got my air con working! And then throwing money at eg vts steering rack, b12 suspension and nice stereo.

So rather than a track car I have a car I can't bring myself to rag as it's too nice.

Just needs the Diablo paintwork sorted.

LOL....

As you know Ian, I bought mine as a bit of a 'rescue car' with the thought of patching it up and having some track fun with it for a year. However, it's grown on me and providing big smiles. However, I think I need to man up and get it tracked, fixed up and maybe sold on. Got R.26 Megane thoughts in my head these days.....!!

OP - I have a 306 Rallye...

which I bought for a couple of hundred quid as it needed some TLC which, being an ex-Pug mechanic was bread and butter :smokin:. Have to say, having had an S16 back in the day, that 306's are HUGELY underrated and on the plus side are going for peanuts. Parts are ridiculously cheap (genuinely laugh-out-loud cheap!!).
They make fantastic track cars and can be had for pocket-money...

WELL worth considering..

TT

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
MX5
R33 GTS-t
S2000
MR2 Turbo (Rev3 onwards)
Yeah, if you cut hair for a living........

Oh, you missed Audi TT BTW

:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

1 - 20 of 49 Posts