GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyones opinions on the fastest spooling highest torque making rb30 twin set up.

Im currently finishing up a stroker RB30dett/rb26 head,87mm cp pistons, Brian Crower 90mm stroke crank and rods. 3210cc. tomei typeB pon cams and garrett 28710-10s (a/r64)

I just awaiting my block to come back from the machine shop to start assembling my rb30 for my other33. Im looking for the best twin set up to make fast spooling high torque, high hp. after doing reseach on Fuel quality her in the states im prety much limited to 600whp befor race fuel is needed.
mods are 87mm flat top carillo pistons/ manley rods, nissan N1 oil and water pump, Rips AWD adapter, ported head, 8.38:1 compression, Tomei type a 260/252, tomei 276lph pump and id 1000cc injector.
Im hell bent on using stock mount twins, I want this motor to look stock under the hood
The only stock mount turbo that looks llikr the right one for my goel would be theGarrett 707160-10 Turbo GT2860R -10 .

Can anyone chime in her? I could use some advice. Rob from Rips has already been a great help, But for the twins im still on my quest,
the rpm range for the motor 0-8000rpm.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Best twins for an RB30?

......A single!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alot of guys suggest that. I have a t4 gt35r with a .68 exhaust, but it seems like it would run out of breath to soon. Plus Id like to keep the OEM look. My car is subject to audit here because of what it is. so keeping a pure stock look is key

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Using GTX2863 or GTX2867 would be a much better way to go than those horrid -10s.
(depending on your actual power goals)

Exh. housings (such as the -5s) will make them a bolt on affair for the hot side, and you can machine the compressor covers to use normal -5s intake side housings.
This method would lose anti-surge intake housings but gain complete bolt on pipe work, and guys on SAU that have done this have mentioned it improves low rpm feel.
On some motors this could reintroduce the dreaded air shuffles.

If you have access to e85 then you'll reach your goal fairly easily I'd imagine

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
-10's/GT RS's are a woeful turbo. Pick them up and chuck them in the bin.

Back to back -5's will belt it. You want "response"... Forget the -10's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone used the GTX 2863's with their anti surge compressor housings? Or do people just get the -5 housings machined to fit the GTX wheel because its easier?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I use 3240's on my RB30.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Best twins for an RB30?

A pair of TO4Z's :chuckle::chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2835, 760 bhp at 1,6 Bar, torque 862 nm, same engine. Very nice torque curves and power is very nice to use.

If You want more power, then custom made holset 35 super - little bit over 600 bhp per turbo. They use it in rallicross in Finland, wake up very early, best at the moment but really difficult to get. I think I will put those ( 2 pieces ) to my another skyline. At the moment I have 2 3542 custom made turbos, but there is has too much power, wake up late and it's too scary to drive.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I have been looking at this option as have 5s on a step two 2 .8
To me current response is really good 500 ft lbs @ 4000rpm and 560 by 5000 but the 5s do run out off puff before the engine

Does anyone have an idea of what improvement might be expected with 5s and better internals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts