GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a subjective question but I would like to at least get some other opinions. I am going to buy some bigger wheels and I would like to know what brand of tyres would be the best. At present I have been offered Yokos but I have had some of them before and they don't seem to grip the road that well. I'm not looking for track tyres or anything like that just some decent road tyres that aren't going to throw me off in the wet and don't cost the earth.

Any advice much appreciated,

Matt

·
Banned
349 Posts
Good year F1's

For price and the best performance in the wet I would go for F!'s

Jamie.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alloys

While I'm on the subject does anyone know any decent websites that sell alloys, preferably in this country?

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Matt,

Depends what you're looking for. Run a search on the GTR-Forum and a few threads should come up. However, if you want the real think you'll have to stick to Nismo split rims and they cost.

John

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alloys

Would love to have Nismos but the wife would kill me.

At the moment I have been lumbered with 205/55 on 16's which have about as much grip as a baby's pram.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Matt,

I fitted Toyo Proxe T1S to my 25T, and found it was like a new car, with predictable loss of traction at the back, and still a little grippy even in the wet.

You'll want to be sure and get the correct offset wheel for your car, or it will handle pants.

Here are the appropriate sizes for your car....
Wheel_Off__Tyre
8.0x17 31 235/45-17
9.0x17 38 255/40-17
8.5x18 37 245/40-18
9.5x18 42 275/35-18

·
Registered
15 Posts
rain tyres are the only tyre for this country! lol

i have 18" wheels on my car and i run 265/35's. i originally ran SO-2'S BUT am no experimenting (and they seem to do the job very well) with uniroyal rainsport 1 's. they have an awsome tread too! also cheaper than bridgestones. check them out i am the only person i know thats ever even tried them, but they are the only purely wet road tyre that cater for these sort of dimensions!:smokin:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels

Cheers guys, it's nice to find a set of enthusiasts that aer actually helpful.

One thing I have noticed on this site though is that number of you guys have got your reg's, location and pictures in your signature. I am just wondering how secure this as anyone steeling to order doesn't have to do much research to get some seriously good cars. I am going to change my details so it doesn't reflect my town. I know mine is "only" a GTS but you never know!

Once again, cheers for the help.

Matt

PS I get paranoid in the mornings!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Tyres

All are good, but you get what you pay for, I have gone through several set in four years of ownership of ABEUT, and as most of you will know I am a track enthuiast as well, so prefer something a little special which is the Pirelli P Zero "C", unfortunately it comes with 2mm LESS tread than a "normal" trye, but for road holding in ALL weathers it just can't be beaten, stay away from the Marshals, Uni-Roylal and derivitives of brand names, So-1, 2, s are good but don't do a track session with them, you might just as well throw your money my way !!! For some new P Zero "C"'s !!! Yep, she needs em, but can squeeze one more day at Bedford with them (will be taking slicks as well though !!)
Keep it on the Black Stuff

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Toyos?

Anyone tried toyos on the GTR?
Great wet weather tyres and progressive grip in the dry and pretty cost effective. Have got SO2s on mine and they are siply great for road use.
Stay away from the non big brands with a car so quick AND heavy!
Nick

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I have Toyo,s on mine (pre T1s)
And will definatley replace with the same.
But at ther end of the day its personnal choice and what you use the car for. :D
My 2p worth
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not had toyo's but meant to be very good, they were used in the world record sideways drive...

Personally I have Goodyear F1's and they are excellent in the wet. MUCH better than the Pzeros and Yokos I had previously.

The F1's joint won the autocar tyre test a couple of years back with S02's... It was said that F1's were better in the wet, S02's better in the dry.

(Must add my comments to tyres relate to an impreza not a skyline...)

Jon

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Probably not of much use, as I think you're talking smaller sizes, but I used to run Yokohama 265 / 35 / 18's on my R33 VSPEC, when I changed to my R34, I kept the same wheels, but went to a Dunlop Sport 8080E 275 / 35 / 18.

I had always thought of Dunlop as a real low grade tyre, but..........and here's the difference, apparently the Jap Dunlops are $hite, but these ones are made in Germany and are OE fitment on the new BMW M5 and 5Lt V12 Merc. I think on the Merc they're 265 / 35 / 18.

They are sooooo much better than the Yokohama's in the wet and dry, same price !

Must also add that I'm based in NZ, but being a European tyre I would have thought they'd be available to you there.

I've always wanted to try some Goodyear F1's, but they're not available here !! :-( Maybe if someone's tried these Dunlops there you can tell me the difference.

JM2CW

Fraser

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tyres

I would go along with most other people here i have fitted toyo's on my car.A great tyre for the money but the bridgestone s-03 is slightly better but more expensive.:smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts