GTR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I do wonder if it is just the mass of the GT-R at the front which is causing you some concern, coming from a relatively low frontal mass of a mid-engined car into something with a large engine in the front and more sluggish turn-in response, as Barry says?

A GT4, for example, is totally different in corners, especially at initial turn-in. The GT-R is more sluggish and maybe this is undermining your confidence as 1) if you're arriving at the corner at a higher speed than you were used to you may be over-braking to compensate; and 2) the car feels (relatively) unresponsive initially, almost like it is wanting to understeer (or just that waiting-to-bite feeling) compared to the agile Ferrari.

As people have said, CAT DT will probably be your best bet as they will get you to learn the dynamics of the car. After this, play with suspension and ARBs to get the set-up that YOU like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Completely different handling cars, the 458 has very precise and sensitive steering, feels almost like a single seater racing car, it turns in really sharp but on the limit it will snap quickly into oversteer, again feels like a racecar with this pointy turn in. You can go much deeper into a corner and leave the turn in later in the 458 but you have to be careful with the throttle applications, you can't just turn in and floor it and expect to get away with it in the 458, this is especially true in the wet.
The GTR is much more predictable and easier to drive, the electronics will often get you out of trouble if you don't panic but right on the limit they still move around. The biggest handling issue is quick direction changes, in standard trim the car is a little sluggish turning in and then it rolls due to the weight, if you then have to hustle it the following way it is reluctant to follow the steering angle, this is shown up at places like Becketts at Silverstone and Surtees at Brands, this is where the uprated roll bars help to stiffen it up and stop it leaning over and moving the roll centres around. Anybody who has driven a GTR on track will know it doesn't drive itself but it does make things a lot easier.
Thank you for explaining that, its very insightful.

Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No that wouldn't have been me, I get along to quite a few FOC events but not been to Prescott, my 458 is Grigio Silverstone. It may have been John who's on here as Papa Smurf, he owns an R35 and a Rosso 458.
Ah the chap did have a Rossa 458 so must have bee John.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Corner balance and custom alignment will help. Are you losing grip or is the car unsettling?
I think its more of a unsettling feel, again possible haven't got the confidence of "chucking" into corners like I had in the car before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I do wonder if it is just the mass of the GT-R at the front which is causing you some concern, coming from a relatively low frontal mass of a mid-engined car into something with a large engine in the front and more sluggish turn-in response, as Barry says?

A GT4, for example, is totally different in corners, especially at initial turn-in. The GT-R is more sluggish and maybe this is undermining your confidence as 1) if you're arriving at the corner at a higher speed than you were used to you may be over-braking to compensate; and 2) the car feels (relatively) unresponsive initially, almost like it is wanting to understeer (or just that waiting-to-bite feeling) compared to the agile Ferrari.

As people have said, CAT DT will probably be your best bet as they will get you to learn the dynamics of the car. After this, play with suspension and ARBs to get the set-up that YOU like.
I think that is exactly what's happening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Iv had my car 8 months and came from a well set up evo 6 with ohlins suspension,RS diff,so no AYC electronics. My GTR has uprated front anti roll bar,Quafe diff,but rest of suspension is as it left the factory. At first it felt lethargic to the evo,not so pointy,but after to getting to know the car its a far better handling car than the evo,other than very tightish bends. Again im no Lewis Hamilton,but im fairly capable I like to think. The harder you push these car,the more inspiring it becomes.
I hear the Litchfield suspension kit vastly improves understeer,so I will be going for that set up soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just had my front lower suspension bushing done by ACspeedtech and a full geo and the difference is unreal. Andy from AC gave me a huge amount of technical insight about the GTR and its handling characteristics.

This is a rough interpretation of what he said (excuse the non technical references). :)

With regards to the handling specifically the steering, he said due to the electronics and YAW angle gizmos you have to drive the GTR differently to some other cars. So if you're too smooth with turn in and don't get to certain steering angle quick enough the electronics sit there passively. If you're more aggressive that's when you unleash the cornering potential of this fast but slightly 'big boned' old girl.

So being aggressive on turn in seems to be the key!

After the bushing and geo were done on mine, I took his advice and he was in my opinion 100% correct!!

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Echo the suggestion of CAT DT if you've not done it, very useful.
Also front quaife diff and handling package will help immensely, as will an uprated DSC controller, which will improved all of the suspension settings. Assuming its a EBA model (MY17+) which has softer springs for a more GT'esq/softer feel than previous years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Echo the suggestion of CAT DT if you've not done it, very useful.
Also front quaife diff and handling package will help immensely, as will an uprated DSC controller, which will improved all of the suspension settings. Assuming its a EBA model (MY17+) which has softer springs for a more GT'esq/softer feel than previous years.
I could not believe the difference of the springs! They have gone soft springs and hard on the dampers. Instead of earlier years having a higher spring rate. Mine on Eibachs now is perfect

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Out of curiosity just had a look at the Top Gear track times at Dunsfold, standard R35 almost 2secs quicker than a 458 Ferrari ! A modified R35 with a bit more grunt and some suspension improvements would completely destroy a 458.

·
R35 Section manager
10,901 Posts
Out of curiosity just had a look at the Top Gear track times at Dunsfold, standard R35 almost 2secs quicker than a 458 Ferrari ! A modified R35 with a bit more grunt and some suspension improvements would completely destroy a 458.

Do you recall what MY the 35 was Barry?

·
R35 Section manager
10,901 Posts
I can recall being in the TopGear studio tv recording when the 35 first came out- although I think I went there 4 times in total.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts