GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed all the suspension fuel lines tank everything from under the car !!!!

What is the best way of taking the underneath back to bare metal ??

***128077;***128077;***128077;

·
Registered
228 Posts
to strip underseal of (depending on how messy you want to get) you can use a decent paint stripper (think nitromors but not as agressive) and then for actual rust strip i use a variety of wire brushes.

Angle grinder attachement knot brushes are best for large areas but are quite violent.

For the hard to reach places i use drill attachement wire brushes.

Then for the really really hard to reach places Bilt Hamber Deox gell.

becarefull when stripping off rust as you will always be left with a small amount of carbon (little black dots) that look harmless, they will make the rust come through again if not removed. They are super hard aswell so will take some effort.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to strip underseal of (depending on how messy you want to get) you can use a decent paint stripper (think nitromors but not as agressive) and then for actual rust strip i use a variety of wire brushes.

Angle grinder attachement knot brushes are best for large areas but are quite violent.

For the hard to reach places i use drill attachement wire brushes.

Then for the really really hard to reach places Bilt Hamber Deox gell.

becarefull when stripping off rust as you will always be left with a small amount of carbon (little black dots) that look harmless, they will make the rust come through again if not removed. They are super hard aswell so will take some effort.

What sort of brushes are used also where can I buy all the parts to do the job ???

·
Registered
228 Posts
What sort of brushes are used also where can I buy all the parts to do the job ???

you can buy the wire brushes anywhere,

knot wheels for an angle grinder and drill attachment brushes can be bought from places like machine mart or even ebay etc

just becarefull on the quality as even the best knot wheel brushes for an angle grinder tend to flick bits of wire here there and everywhere.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can buy the wire brushes anywhere,

knot wheels for an angle grinder and drill attachment brushes can be bought from places like machine mart or even ebay etc

just becarefull on the quality as even the best knot wheel brushes for an angle grinder tend to flick bits of wire here there and everywhere.

Thanks !!!!

Peach

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nasty stuff!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nasty isn't the work word !!!!

Got some full rear 1/4 , but it's put me in the spot where do I replace the whole 1/4 or just the outer arch and bottom box section !!!!!

This was used along with buckets of filler to get the shape

1 - 20 of 22 Posts